Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 04:30 PM   #16
classicsnw
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2004 Malibu Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2helper
Since this is also posted in document at NHTSA website (action number PE04031) I can tell you that it looks like steering column problem was corrected by a sensor change on Februrary 3, 2004.

So yes anything built in April 2004 (or for that matter most of Feb 2004 and all of March 2004) should be OK.

Service parts also replaced around that time so it wouldn't have been until mid-Feb before dealers were using updated parts to repair vehicles.

OK, thanks........ guess I am willing to take another chance if I get the opportunity w/a reasonable offer from GM. I'll let you know... Alex
classicsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:32 AM   #17
classicsnw
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 2004 Malibu Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsnw
OK, thanks........ guess I am willing to take another chance if I get the opportunity w/a reasonable offer from GM. I'll let you know... Alex

The latest on my 04 LT power steering failures. The dealer (big modern shop and have been Chevy dealer 30 years) still can't fix it !!! Multiple attempts and multiple steering columns.

We are now scheduled for their required arbitration process. They have refused to buy it back but have offered a "free" 60 month, 60000 mile extended warranty.

Any comments or ideas would be appreciated...... Yes, we still like the car but are obviously concerned about the safety factor because of the faulty power steering. Alex classicsnw@hotmail.com
Old 09-05-2004, 06:41 PM   #18
classicsnw
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 2004 Malibu Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsnw
Well, I did get an offer from GM. 60 month, 60,000 mile of additional warranty. But only if I agree to drop the safety isssue complaint. Sorry, can't do that. I have my family (plus others on the road) to think about.

We go to arbitration on the 22nd. NO, I do not want to but can see no alternative. Alex
Old 09-10-2004, 06:31 AM   #19
e2helper
AF Regular

Re: 2004 Malibu Power Steering

classicsnw - I got your PM and realize no one is looking to repair vehicle at this point but I forgot to ask if you remember when power steering fails in vehicle most recently was there any change in operation of the PRNDL display in instrument cluster or the Odometer.

Curious if the odometer displayed "ERROR" and PRNDL would no longer display what gear you were in.
e2helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:29 AM   #20
classicsnw
AF Newbie

Quote:
classicsnw - I got your PM and realize no one is looking to repair vehicle at this point but I forgot to ask if you remember when power steering fails in vehicle most recently was there any change in operation of the PRNDL display in instrument cluster or the Odometer.

Curious if the odometer displayed "ERROR" and PRNDL would no longer display what gear you were in.
Hmmmmmmm! Can't say for sure but I don't think so. I'm sure it did not affect the PDNR display for more than a few seconds if at all or I would have surely noticed it.

Really dislike having this problem because we sure like the car. If it was not such a safety issue we could live with it.

Thanks for your response, Alex
Old 09-10-2004, 01:22 PM   #21
e2helper
AF Regular

Re: 2004 Malibu Power Steering

Ok,

The reason I asked was that odometer and PRNDL display issues coincident with the loss of power steering would have pointed more towards a wiring issue perhaps because the electrical connections at your Power Steering module had been serviced so many times in the past.

Good luck!!
e2helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:35 PM   #22
classicsnw
AF Newbie

Quote:
Ok,

The reason I asked was that odometer and PRNDL display issues coincident with the loss of power steering would have pointed more towards a wiring issue perhaps because the electrical connections at your Power Steering module had been serviced so many times in the past.

Good luck!!
Thanks. I'm sure I will need all the luck I can get. Guess I would be willing just to take a column made in April or later but who knows what they will offer if anything. Alex
Old 11-18-2004, 12:15 PM   #23
Teresa Fryer
AF Newbie

Power Steering

I have had my power steering just go again for the second time while driving. The steering column was replaced approx. 2 months ago and it just died (the whole car) again. Isn't there a lemon law that if it involves breaks or steering they only have one chance to fix it? If anyone has any suggestions on what the next course of action is (because I do not want to drive it as dangerous as it is) for chevy to take it back, please let me know.
Teresa Fryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 03:13 PM   #24
brunercda
AF Newbie

Re: Power Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Fryer
I have had my power steering just go again for the second time while driving. The steering column was replaced approx. 2 months ago and it just died (the whole car) again. Isn't there a lemon law that if it involves breaks or steering they only have one chance to fix it? If anyone has any suggestions on what the next course of action is (because I do not want to drive it as dangerous as it is) for chevy to take it back, please let me know.

Yes, there is a way to handle your problem with the Malibu. I have just completed a "buy back" by GM on our 2004 Malibu Lt. Got a 2005 Maxx.

GM has very specific requirements that you must do to accomplish the buy back.

If you are interested, let me know...

Please reply to my regular e mail (it is too hard to get onto this site).

classicsnw@hotmail.com If you are nervous about that, I'll keep trying to use this site with you.
brunercda is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu