Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 05:52 PM   #16
e2helper
AF Regular

Re: 2004 Malibu/Maxx

It likely will correct the problem. Hope you also mentioned the key sticking in ignition problem to dealer so they can check adjustment of the cable that runs between shifter and ignition switch.
e2helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 06:32 PM   #17
wpbharry
AF Regular

Be sure to report your problem to NHTSA (link below), because they are investigating reports of power steering failure on the '04s, which might lead to a recall, and help other owners.

http://www.nhtsa.gov

Last edited by wpbharry; 04-30-2004 at 10:33 PM.
wpbharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 09:15 PM   #18
MajikCasper
AF Newbie

My Maxx

I just bought a 2004 Maxx LT about a month ago and so far absolutely nothing is wrong with it...she runs perfectly and handles like a dream, some of the first ones off the line were undoubtably bad but the one i got was built expertly. its good to hear from those of you that have had problems with your models...if something does go wrong on mine i'll post on here so y'all can help me out.
MajikCasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 11:04 PM   #19
cmattson
AF Newbie

My '04 Malibu (built Aug'03, purchased Mar'03) has been excellent. My work has sent me to California (Irvine area) for the week and my rental is an '03 Alero with the 2.2l. I've got the 2.2l in my Malibu & I'm shocked at how much smoother the Malibu feels. GM has done a tremendous job with muting NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) on the Malibu. The Alero feels and sounds "coarse". I'm very, very pleased with my Malibu. All my family & friends that have seen it & ridden in it have marveled at it. I really hope that the car builds momentum in it's sales. It's really an excellent vehicle and an outstanding value.
cmattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:00 AM   #20
4props
AF Newbie

I've just turned 1400 miles on a new Malibu LT and have no complaints so far. The car drives great and is loaded with thoughtful features at a competitive price. Fit and finish of the vehicles is better as well than many vehicles I've purchsed in the past.
4props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 05:19 PM   #21
KMHJ
AF Newbie

Malibu Maxx Information

I recently purchased (in February) a 2004 Malibu Maxx LS. I love it. The interior is very roomy; the drive is excellent. The handling is beautiful. The back seats are very roomy, along with the fact they move back and forth. It's extremely versatile.

Please note that the car drifts-pulls to the left - according to my dealership, this has been reported by a handful of owners. If anyone out there suspects (but aren't sure of themselves) that they are struggling with the steering wheel when driving straight, especially during highway driving, you are NOT IMAGINING THINGS. Report this to your dealer so that they have the correct number of cases reported.

Also do not accept from your dealership that YOU are responsible for this, as I did hear the first couple of times. "You must have driven over a pothole"......."You may have caused it to go out of alignment by driving up a curb"......."You need to consider the road grade". Normal driving is not causing this problem.

After two attempts at a front end alignment, tire rotation, there seems to be no real answer at this point, until the technical team has data to review, and possibly update the specifications, or find another root cause. According to my dealership, no harm is being caused to the car as a result of this.

I will be patient as this is a new car to the market, because other than this, I'm very happy with the vehicle.
KMHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 02:11 PM   #22
DMaxx
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbharry
......Chances are remote, but still a chance, that I'll buy an '04 or '05 Malibu or Maxx.... I've now read that the 3500 V-6, coming from GM's Mexico subsidiary, has not been performing up to par....Before this, I'd heard nothing but rave reviews over the quality. Kindly share your experiences if you own one (or are seriously considering one). Thanks.
Hello wpbharry.
We only have 400 miles on our Maxx LT but man is it a sweet ride so far. The V6, as I understand, is yet another upsized version of the 2.8L V6 Chevy has used for many many years. We had a 1985 Fiero V6 with that 2.8 and it is still running strong... pushrods and all!
The primary advantage of Chevy's 3.5L V6 is torque. 220 lb/ft at 3200 rpm. When you look at what the Maxx is designed to do, it's perfect. You can drive around town with a full load of adults and/or cargo without running the engine to 4500 rpm to get somewhere. It's very impressive in our experience so far.

If it gives us problems, you'll be the first to know about it.
BTW: our Maxx was built 01/04. We purchased it for $18,300 after a $4000 owner loyalty rebate, $321 GM card earnings and $2125 dealer discount were applied.
I'm sorry but after 3 months of research, all the incentive and a test drive, it was a no brainer. This is our 7th GM vehicle and the best one yet (albeit after only 400 miles)
DMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:43 AM   #23
Old Lar
AF Regular

I was looking at the Maxx this weekend. The car with a $23K price tag was offered to me for $17K with a GM loyalty discount not even considering the trade. The Maxx looks like a nice functional car, but I'm real hesitant on buying a first year model for some of the problems indicated.

I'd like to hear more on peoples driving and reliability issues.
Old Lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:19 AM   #24
DMaxx
AF Newbie

Old Lar,
Our 1985 1/2 Fiero was the first year with a V6 (still running after 19 years and 78,000 miles), our 1989 LeMans was a first year (99,000 miles in 2.5 years), our 1992 (second year) Saturn SL2 racked up 140,000 in 4 years and our 1997 SL2 is still in the garage with 60,000 miles on it. We've leased 2 S-10's. All with no major issues. This is the reason we decided to take a chance with GM and the NEW Malibu. So far, we have no reason not to.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:12 PM   #25
Old Lar
AF Regular

Nice to know, my 87 Fiero GT bought new, is still running strong after 100K+ miles. But it only goes out in nice weather now. The Maxx looks like a real practical car, based on a Saab platforn or so the salesman said.

I'm really looking at option to replace my 99 Buick. It has only 77K on it now so I figure maybe a replacement at 100K, but you have to look at opportunity. What kind of gas milage are you getting with the Maxx?
Old Lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:38 PM   #26
DMaxx
AF Newbie

Old Lar,
Couldn't honestly tell you about mileage... we only have 400 miles on it so far. It came with a tank of gas, we drove 319 miles and just put under 13 gallons in it. 24.5 mpg? 90% around town driving.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:18 PM   #27
FCFFUZZYFACE
AF Newbie

GM has had a problem with the early 04 Malibu steering, if you take a look it is an electric assist PS unit with the power assist motor built into the column, there are 3 sensors in the column that are the source of the problem, manufacturing has corrected the problem, make a note too if the car pulls after the column is replaced, there is a recentering and recalibrate procedure that will cause an steering pull if the reprogram is not done in the proper sequence

FCFFUZZYFACE
FCFFUZZYFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 01:41 PM   #28
wpbharry
AF Regular

After struggling with another ignition lock cylinder failure, and a trannie "clunk", and the impending expiration of GMPP, I visited a Honda dealership back on 6/13, was totally turned off, went to my Chevy dealer, placed an offer on a nearly-loaded Maxx LS, and drove it home 3 days later!! Ahem. You're stuck with me again.

See other threads re: my purchase price and a "fix" for the only problem I've encountered so far.

The electric power steering does make an unusual noise, but I'm used to the way it drives already.

My car was built in late April, so I'm hoping the P/S failure issue was fixed by then.

I'm MUCH MORE impressed with my car than the one I test drove last Sept.
wpbharry is offline   Reply With Quote