Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 12:50 PM   #1
peterjfitz
AF Newbie

2001malibu brakes

I had to replace the brakes in my 2001 malbu after 29000 km(about20,ooo miles) Dealer said it was my driving habits. I've been driving for 45 years & this is a ist for me. Are there any inherent problems with the 2001 braking system?
peterjfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 08:12 PM   #2
pgmalibu01
AF Newbie

It is not you. The Malibus have had serious brake problems. I've had 4 sets of brakes put on in 40000 Mi. GM tries that driving crap with everyone. They told me I should expect only 8-10K on a set of brakes because the govt made them remove asbestos. Who are they kidding? Let me guess, you started noticing a pusation when you applied the brakes and about 1000 miles later you noticed the squel when you applied the brakes. GM has a TSB on the rotors and the pads, this works for some but not for all. I didn't work for me. I checked the brakes and found that the calipers bend open when the brakes are applied. The result is the pads wear unevenly, only the inboard pad wears. This leads to rotor warp due to uneven heating, and accelerated pad wear. You would think GM would be interested in this but they don't want to know. My suggestion to you is COMPLAIN loud and long. Don't take the dealerships response as gospel. Ask the service manager for GM's "customer service" number and file a complaint. You may get a set of brakes out of them. I have written to Kurt Ritter the VP at Chevrolet. I suggest you write to him and complain. They replaced 3 sets of brakes, the fourth I have to spring for. If more people complain, they may decide to really do something about it.

Also check out the NHTSB web site and check out the complaints on this vehicle. Almost 40% of them are brake related. GM really dropped the ball with this isuue
pgmalibu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 11:28 PM   #3
DarkChobit
AF Newbie

try these brakes

i got my malibu 2K used. so i knew something was gonna give out on it in the first year i had it. it wasn't the brakes though... but after two years, i wanted to upgrade the brake system. i went to Brake Check and they told me about Ceramic Brake Pads. they are durable and has almost no dust. i've have them for about 50K miles now. and they're still good. and i drive in a very busy city. the thing is, i'm not sure if they make rear ceramic pads. since i didn't need to replace them at the time i got the front pads, i never really asked.

DeeJay
majin-BU
N-II-Z-ist
DarkChobit is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu