Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Mixing Dexcool with All color All purpose Prestone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slls View Post
My 09 G6 is getting the same treatment, as all my vehicles since the 50 decade.

I think doing nothing, which most people do as far changing coolant, is more of a problem.

2 oil and filter changes ago I let my OLM go to GM change mileage. Gm thinks it's ok to go 12,300 miles between oil changes. So I don't go with them, even 100K between transmission fluid changes, I go 50K with the syn oil, 30 K with regular oil.
men from Maine LOL ...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
slls
AF Regular

from ma, no comment.
slls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slls View Post
from ma, no comment.
you guys up there are funny. watch those police tv programs from maine whenever there on ..
Old 10-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #19
slls
AF Regular

WE don't have to register our guns, were treated like adults.
slls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
FISH96
AF Regular

I have a 2010 Impala 3.5L and a 2013 Impala 3.6 DOHC.
The 2010 owners manual states 'clean drinkable water' aka potable water. There is no mention of distilled water.
The 2013 owners manual states 'deionized water(distilling water will deionize it as well as other methods) or clean drinkable water'
So ICAT when did GM start recommending only distilled/deionized water with "Dex-Cool?"

I do agree that most problems with any cooling systems or any system for that matter is neglect.
FISH96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #21
autojoe
AF Regular

it is recommended that shops to have water tested for hardness,chloride,ph.if water is good then would be okay.
autojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #22
jamesmetairie
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevMali99 View Post
Hi folks, long time no see. It's been a while thankfully since I've had a problem with my Malibu 99 3.1, actually the few problems I've had I've basically ignored, like the rattling in the trunk or the off and on AC or the driver seat that no longer reclines. There's a problem that I can no longer ignore because... well it could become significantly expensive and that is - Leaking antifreeze. I've been using the Prestone green for all colors and all makes for a while 6 months or so, today the car's temperature range was unusually wide and the red light indicating low anti-freeze was coming on and off. I pulled over and the reservoir was adequately filled yet there was a trickling on the driver's side. I'm not sure of the cause, is it a cracked radiator or a loose knob? I popped the reservoir open and the vacuum effect ceased and antifreeze fluid over topped the reservoir... Weird. I'm gonna take a look under the car and attempt to see where the leak is coming from but any help or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
1998 chevy lumina with 202,000 miles on it.
around 80,000 miles had the intake manifold gasket problem.
replaced it with a"felpro" gasket.

flushed with tap water several times.
added prestone any kind/any color .

over 120,000 miles later no problems.
jamesmetairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #23
jamesmetairie
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmetairie View Post
1998 chevy lumina with 202,000 miles on it.
around 80,000 miles had the intake manifold gasket problem.
replaced it with a"felpro" gasket.

flushed with tap water several times.
added prestone any kind/any color .

over 120,000 miles later no problems.
note = the prestone i added was 100% so i diluted with 50% tap water.
jamesmetairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #24
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH96 View Post
I have a 2010 Impala 3.5L and a 2013 Impala 3.6 DOHC.
The 2010 owners manual states 'clean drinkable water' aka potable water. There is no mention of distilled water.
The 2013 owners manual states 'deionized water(distilling water will deionize it as well as other methods) or clean drinkable water'
So ICAT when did GM start recommending only distilled/deionized water with "Dex-Cool?"

I do agree that most problems with any cooling systems or any system for that matter is neglect.
distilled water is what GM recommended when they started using it back in 1995 or so. My 1996 impala SS has this dexcool . only 73,000 mi on it but no corrosion or goop in it.

deionized water is for batteries . when adding water to the batteries you must use this type water or you get cell plate damage ...

I have the shop OEM manual and it states distilled water with the coolant.

I mentioned before that I have been using distilled water with my coolant a lot longer than GM started this use ...my 1983 had no coolant problems used regular prestone silicate coolant and distilled water ..all engine gaskets no leaks/no heads/engine work etc. I did replace the water pump at 80,000miles leak at the seal. the pump I put on ran until I sold the vehicle total miles 380,000 miles..

the reason I sold it I needed 4WD to get to work ! snow storms you make the big bucks...
Old 10-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #25
ChevMali99
AF Regular

UPDATE - FYI - the short on the long is I replaced the radiator and kept the red stuff, all is well in chevmali99 3.1 world. I'll mention the following: Pep Boys or any other franchise will not change the antifreeze to non OEM recommendations for obvious reasons.

Nevertheless, mechanics say that replacing the radiator, thermostat, the water pump, along with the heater core & flushing out the system can give you the liberty to use conventional anti-freeze, because the so called OEM parts are no different than any other car. In other words, if they are not original from GM, then the red stuff is not necessary as long as you replace every other part related to the cooling / heating apparatus. If you're a DIY type with the time, money, and necessary tools let it rip! keep in mind It is a very time consuming operation not for the novice.

One last thing, a while back I wrote about several cracked antifreeze reservoirs. For two years now, I've had the same reservoir with no cracking. The solution seems to have been not tightening the cap and leaving enough room for the vapor to escape through the hose. One twist of the cap, instead of a full tightening, seems to have worked.

It's been a week of rigorous driving and the temp has not gone about the 3 quarter range.
ChevMali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #26
ChevMali99
AF Regular

UPDATE - I took a look at the ingredients in both Prestone All Purpose All Color All Makes & their DexCool 50/50 pre-mix... and found they differ in one ingredient that is found in DexCool & not in the other. So I decided to test Prestone's claim, not in the car but in a hot pot. I mixed a cup of the two in an old pot no one uses to cook anything (I asked my wife for permission) and heated it up. Opened a few windows because anti-freeze smell is nauseating in spite of its sweet smell. Heated it for a good 20 min and there was no obvious adverse effect, the consistency remained the same as Dexcool 50/50 or the Prestone All purpose all everything.
ChevMali99 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu