Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 07:11 PM   #16
Mr240
AF Newbie

Re: PassLock on a 98 Malibu

Hey guys, Im not surprised to see that eevryonehas these problems, ive been having the same problem as all of you ever since ive owned this vehicle, but it never got as saveer as today, i was in the car for about one hour rying to start the car/wating for the theft light to stop flashing, and it doesnt start, no go, no how, not gonna happen, the lgiht stopped flashing, and the car is still not starting, its too dark out right now to check the VIN number, but im gonna check it out in the morning and call the 800# provided above (1-800-222-1020) this i the most reiculous effort to stop a theif from starting your car by making it impossible for n e body to start the car altogether, id rather run the risk of someoen stealing my car then dealing with this, its not necessary to put this type of system on a vehicle if its not perfected, considering car owners pay for "wear and tear" problems, this is not the case, this is not a "wear and tear" problem, this is a defect that has to be recognized by Cheverote, so if you have the problem, or HAD the problem, jus call the 1-800-222-1020 number and complain abotu it or jsut let them know with your VIN number, we're basically driving cars that are driven when they want to be driven, good luck
Mr240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 04:47 PM   #17
dzhali
AF Newbie

I found out simple way to disable the passlock1 prmanently. I did it on my Cavalier 96 and it works so far.
You can use it if ocasionally you are still able to start your car. All you need to do is to start the car (with your semidefective passlock sensor), and then disconnect the three wires plug (wires that run from the lock cylinder to the instrument panel) from the instrument panel while engine is running.
Engine will start the next time without any passlock "authorization", but "theft system'" light will stay on. If you do not like it, you can remove LED from the instrument cluster board.
I am not shure if the disablement will work after battery gets disconnected. Possible, that you may repeat it all over.
dzhali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:27 PM   #18
grogers70450
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to grogers70450

mine used to do it for a while and then it quit not lettin' me start the car...but now the theft light stays on all the time...but it starts fine...all i know is that it was aggrevating having to wait 10 - 20 mins on it...since i live in louisiana and it was doing it in July and August.
grogers70450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:49 AM   #19
vavila1974
AF Newbie

Here's my fix, or workaround, turn the key to the point where the dashboard lights up with all the different icons and you can open the automatic windows, but do not start the car. Put the car in Neutral, then turn the key the rest of the way to start the car. This method has worked every single time for me. I was told by the dealship that the ignition block or whatever it's called needs to be replaced, cost somewhere between $450-$500. I'm cheap, so this method will have to do for now. Don't ask me how I figured this out, I was just very frustrated one day and decided to try something different. Like alot of you out there, my car would choose not start at the worst times (when I was running late to be somewhere, at the gas station with other cars waiting behind me, etc.) It has been 6 months since my discovery and I couldn't be happier, just knowing that my car will definitely start everytime out. Now I'm not sure if there are any side effects to starting your car in Neutral, with my luck I'm probably slowly killing my car, but I plan on purchasing a new car in about 6 months so I hope it holds up until then. I have already vowed to never again, as long as I shall walk this earth, purchase another Chevy Malibu.
vavila1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:48 PM   #20
SolarFlare
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to SolarFlare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa98
I have 1998 Malibu that has had intermitent problems with the PassLock system for the last few weeks. Every once in a while the system activiates and will not let me start the car even though I am still using the original keys. After a 10-20 minute wait everything is fine and the car starts.

I am looking for help on how to troubleshoot and repair this problem or at the very least how to permentantly disable the PassLock system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kelly
I have a 99 Chevy Malibu and it does the same exact thing. The car was fine when we first bought it but my husband messed with that thing and now it comes on and goes off when it feels it is such a headache. I will end up stranded in place for 10 to 15 minutes at a time because of it. Not good in the summer. I remember the code to get it back off but it failed to work any longer. Anyway, I ask the Chevy dealer and he told me I need a whole new starter and that there was no way to permanently disable it and the whole deal will cost 250 to 400 bucks! Soooo I will just have to let the car have its way. I can't afford that. If you have a better answer from somewhere let me know.
SolarFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #21
CFluck
AF Newbie

Re: PassLock on a 98 Malibu and 00 Malibu

Any feedback from anyone on these fixes?
CFluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #22
Malibu Owner
AF Newbie

This same problem has occurred on my 2002 Malibu.

I read in another forum...Put the key into the ignition, but don't turn it. Wait for the "ding" to begin (driver door open) and then turn it to the on position and then crank. This has worked. It takes about 1-2 sec for the key to be recognized. Don't be fooled by taking it to the stealership.
Malibu Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #23
CFluck
AF Newbie

I also tried this one, turn the key to on (not start), shift to neutral and then crank it. This only works if it hasn't already gone into theft deterrent mode and then only most of the time.

I finally had my ignition switch replaced (about $300) at an independent shop.

Also note that there is a class action settlement on the whole DexCool leaking into the engine via the bad intake gasket problem. Do an internet serarch for DexCool and you'll find it.
CFluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #24
sellncars
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to sellncars Send a message via Yahoo to sellncars

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago i had a 99 Malibu in the shop, the car had the security light flashing, we put in a new fuel tank ( nothing else ) after we installed the tank, the car would not restart. I called a friend of mine at a local Chevy dealer, he said it needed to be reprogrammed. Now for the hard part...

Step to reprogram the pass lock------Ready???? Turn on the key to the start position....Walk away for 15 minutes, the security light should be steady, the car will start....Now this information is worth $75.00....Thanks you..

What a joke.....They get $75.00 to do this procedure....Thank god for friends...

Good luck everyone,
Sellncars
Old 06-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #25
vavila1974
AF Newbie

As luck would have it, my wife wrecked the old 98 Chevy Malibu....she wasn't hurt, I was ecstatic, we had full coverage and ended up with a 2007 Ford Taurus.....it starts perfectly!
vavila1974 is offline   Reply With Quote