Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
jayjack
AF Newbie

want a bike

ok i want my first bike, i want one that would be fairly quick but not too much to handle( horsepower? cc?). i also have to convince my parents, any tips on that? im 18 so would insurance ba alot? what would be high milage for a bike, and how are prices on a bike that im be describing?
jayjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:47 AM   #2
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

Re: want a bike

welcome to the bike forum.

have you read the stickies at the top of the forum thread topic list? that will explain the questions that you (and hundreds before you) have asked.

the moderators of this section (myself, the problem child, Speed Diva, and a few special guest moderators) normally close all threads along the lines of "what bike for a newbie?"

i will allow this thread to be left open ONLY because you ask advise on how to convince your parents.

feel free to read the stickies and then ask more specific questions.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:24 AM   #3
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Nope, you'll have to do it like everybody else ever did...buy the bike and hide it at your friend's house.

Then when you are 40 or so, and have been riding for 22 years, you can break it them...

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:33 AM   #4
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Seriously though, if it were me I'd bring up the idea, just to get the reaction and see where they are on the idea....then after the initial shock wears off, I'd tell them that you want to take the MSF course to see if it's even something you want to do...

MSF is the best thing a new rider can do...your folks may be impressed that you are approaching it in a smart manner (maybe you can get them to pay for the course?) and may be more receptive knowing you don't intend to go the bonehead route like me and most of my friends (the way I described above)

...empty gun rack.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:19 AM   #5
road_rascal
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to road_rascal

I highly recommend the beginners safety course. I'd also watch what type of bike you're going to get. A standard SV650 won't attract a lot of attention from the cops compared to a fully faired sport bike (at least around where I live). Insurance will be much cheaper on a standard bike than one with tons of plastic on it. Also- insurance companies are generally ingorant on motorcycles- one said my 750 Nighthawk was a sportbike and another stated it was a cruiser.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

On the parental convincing part, I will offer advice. If you are a responsible young person, you can use the fact that motorcycles get far better gas mileage than cars as your arguement opener. Ensure them that you will take an MSF safety course, never ride without a helmet or gloves (even though you are allowed to ride without a helmet in Ohio), and that you will obey all traffic laws. If you've demonstrated that you are a good driver so far, then it should be easier to convince them. If you've gotten tickets before, good luck.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #7
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

i went down the line of
1)parking in the city-park anywhere for free
2)motorbike or pushbike- my oldies hated me riding a pushy over the Sydney Harbour Bridge in traffic

and finally "MUM, i'm 33 years old and i want a bike...... waaaahhhhhh"

for me the idea of a bike being cheaper is not true for a larger bike. petrol consumption on my 954 is the same as a small car.
rego is the same and insurance is higher ever though i have a maximum discount and over 30 years of age
Old 11-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
jayjack
AF Newbie

realy sorry about not reading the top posts, but back on track. i brought up the topics of motercycles at dinner last night and they almost seemed like they were waiting for me to ask to get one because they had a list of like 20 of their friends that got hurt on them. then i said i have never gotten a ticket and am responsible with my car. so they gave me the "it's not you that im worried about. its the other people you gotta look out for"... don't really know where to go beside the saftey cores ( which is a great idea) but that still doesn't cover that other guy's stupidity...
jayjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-

If you take a MSF course, and take baby steps when learning to ride your bike. Then you can learn to be watchful of the idiots out there.

Most of the time you can see whatever it is that'll take you out before it happens. If you learn how to plan ahead and leave yourself an out... you should be fine.

Just never ride over your head and you'll do fine.

Riding is the best escape from the world, no cell phones, no radio... just you and the world around you. Best place ever created.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

-The Stig- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:07 AM   #10
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

The idea is to ride in a manner where you are in control of the whole situation, rather than reacting to what others do. As Stig said, always be aware of 360 degrees around you at all times, don't ride other vehicle's blind spots or allow them to box you in...at any given moment you should always have a "plan B" for if the situation in your lane suddenly goes to shit....

You have to always have your head in the moment, and use all your senses to keep you safe....and the quicker you react can make the difference between a near miss and a tragedy...when something doesn't feel right, it's usually not...by the time you try to figure out what's giving you the weird vibe, the situation may already be beyond your ability to react to it. Listen to your intincts. Breaking down your speed as soon as you feel something is not right puts you in a better position to avoid what's coming when you do identify it...

Just about every accident involving a bike and another vehicle I have ever heard about, the phrase "I thought they saw me" or "I thought they were gonna stop" were involved...you can assume NOTHING...even if they are looking right at you for several seconds, nine times outta ten they are looking right through you...

Single vehicle wrecks usually involve rider overconfidence, which lots of times leads to situations like the sudden decreasing radius curve, where the road suddenly curves even tighter, the rider panics and either freezes and rides off the outside of the curve, or dynamites the brakes and goes down...some simple techniques you can learn can help with this, but as always the key is to NOT GET IN THAT SITUATION TO BEGIN WITH....

When you ride, the bike is your body, you are the brain for the bike. Learn what the bike can and can't do, never ask more than that and you'll do ok....

...empty gun rack.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #11
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

The Basic Riders Safety Course (MSF) is one of the best ways to become acquainted with riding. You can watch videos and really "see" what it's like to be "unseen" on the road. Trust me... you must ALWAYS have a Plan B. Not to mention that you develop a VERY keen sense of surroundings by riding.

[an aside]In the last year I picked up running as a hobby, and I am just as unseen running in a yellow vest as I am on a bike even with the highbeam on. If it wasn't for my "6th sense", I can promise you that I would have been hit by a car by now.[/aside]

You've clearly brought up some common parental concerns. If you remind your parents that they can probably list just as many people that got hurt driving/riding in a car, you might be able to point out that any activity that involves leaving the house also involves some risk. Tell them you want to do everything in your power to reduce those risks, and that you want to go about this the safe route. Remind them that you want to buy LOTS of safety gear (Helmet, jacket (if not pants), gloves, boots) and that you are doing research on the topic.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #12
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

when i was younger , i was in car clubs and drove like an idiot. i would do the stupidest things. (i drove to school in reverse the whole way).

i had a few accidents but it was never my fault. i never caused an accident. my parents new i was a general menace to the road. all the dumb things i did taught me control of the vehicle.

when i suggested i get a bike, my parents came out with all the usual things like the accident stats and worried about the "other person"

i debated the arguments. if they say they had a family friend die, ask when it happened. chances are it was 20 years ago and bikes still had drum brakes.

i then took them to the showroom and showed them my plans.
Yamaha FZR250RR. fast for a 250 but able to move out of the way of trouble. twin front disks so it has better than average brakes (for a 250)
new(ish) so more reliable and better to learn on than a shitter.
top of the range helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. can afford this now and buy pants later.

been riding for over 10 years when my dad decided he should get a bike too. and mum gets on the back...........

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes