Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
ednlesia
AF Newbie

Smile Theft Deterrent Password Relearn

We had a problem with our 2003 Chevy Malibu. The theft light thingy would come on and the car would hesitate to start until it finally refused to start. We called some Chevy dealers and they told us all kinds of stuff and it was going to cost us hundreds. Well, then I prayed and decided (I wonder why) to search out problems with the Malibu fuel pump and came across one thing after another until I finally realized that it was that theft thingy. This forum was a HUGE help as well. Thank you all!!! Anyways, I found this site that talked about the passlock system and it suggested the same thing that you all did. It said to turn the switch over, wait for the light to quit blinking and then turn it off and in a smooth motion, crank it. It suggested to do this three times, which would take approximately thirty minutes (3x10min.). They say the theft thingy "relearns". Also, bcopeland has some helpful info on here about finding the toggle switch and unhooking the thing if ya have to. I am just so tickled that I was not suckered into hundreds of dollars. I thank my heavenly Father for guiding me by His Holy Spirit and for you all for being so generous with all of your help. The Lord uses good folks!!!

UPDATE!!!

this was successful. Our car is starting and running fine now. We just did the three times cycle mentioned above and now it starts right off without the theft light coming on. I guess it "relearned" and although it relearned and restarted with the same old key, we got a new one made at Walmart for a couple bucks thinking maybe the old one was getting worn and that caused the theft sensor thing to act up in the first place. That Passlock Theft Thing can cause your car to shut off that fuel pump and it sure enough will not start and run. Anyway, all is fine now. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Last edited by ednlesia; 12-03-2005 at 02:54 PM.
ednlesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
Lynchie
AF Newbie

Question Re: Theft Deterrent Password Relearn

I have this Theft problem with my passlock systems all the time. It does start again when I do that 10 - 15 minute waiting thing, but I was just wondering what is the passlock system really for? I am considering disabling it, but don't really know what it is, or why the problem keeps happening. What would cause this to happen??

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednlesia
We had a problem with our 2003 Chevy Malibu. The theft light thingy would come on and the car would hesitate to start until it finally refused to start. We called some Chevy dealers and they told us all kinds of stuff and it was going to cost us hundreds. Well, then I prayed and decided (I wonder why) to search out problems with the Malibu fuel pump and came across one thing after another until I finally realized that it was that theft thingy. This forum was a HUGE help as well. Thank you all!!! Anyways, I found this site that talked about the passlock system and it suggested the same thing that you all did. It said to turn the switch over, wait for the light to quit blinking and then turn it off and in a smooth motion, crank it. It suggested to do this three times, which would take approximately thirty minutes (3x10min.). They say the theft thingy "relearns". Also, bcopeland has some helpful info on here about finding the toggle switch and unhooking the thing if ya have to. I am just so tickled that I was not suckered into hundreds of dollars. I thank my heavenly Father for guiding me by His Holy Spirit and for you all for being so generous with all of your help. The Lord uses good folks!!!

UPDATE!!!

this was successful. Our car is starting and running fine now. We just did the three times cycle mentioned above and now it starts right off without the theft light coming on. I guess it "relearned" and although it relearned and restarted with the same old key, we got a new one made at Walmart for a couple bucks thinking maybe the old one was getting worn and that caused the theft sensor thing to act up in the first place. That Passlock Theft Thing can cause your car to shut off that fuel pump and it sure enough will not start and run. Anyway, all is fine now. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
Lynchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:31 AM   #3
Shadeau
AF Newbie

Re: Theft Deterrent Password Relearn

Thanks for the info. My '98 Malibu has just started doing this. Luckily, while reading the forum on another problem, I came across this, so I was "prepared". I noticed that the theft system light came on while I was driving, and I remembered what other posters had said.

Just the other day, it wouldn't start and the theft system light was flashing. I simply waited 10 minutes for the light to go off and tried again. It's gotten to the point that I make sure I have something to read while I'm waiting!!

I'd like to find out about this toggle switch you mentioned. I'll see if I can find it in the forum and post the link for it.

Thanks again!!

Edited to add link to other theft system thread.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=460137
Shadeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:09 PM   #4
RahX
AF Enthusiast

its probably not going to be easy to disable the theft lock as the computer waits for a signal from the module to allow fuel/spark. are there any codes?
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:08 PM   #5
Kinhu
AF Newbie

when the theft system goes off it stops the fuel pumps from turning on so I rewired over the relay for the fuel pumps in my 97.
i used to have the theft system going off once a day+ and for the week and a half since i rewired it hasn't gone off once
Kinhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:05 PM   #6
orlandofred
AF Newbie

Thumbs up theft deterrent password relearn

thanks to everyone for the info on the relearn. I've been using the 10min thing for several months when the light blinks. I'll now try the 3 time thing and see if it "relearns" and hopefully MY Malibu start problem will go away.
Wish me luck
orlandofred is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu