Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 06:52 PM   #1
dinosaur
AF Newbie

2004 malibu maxx lt steering column replaced

6,300 miles and had to have steering column replaced.

here's the scenario:
i came home last night and was parking in reverse in my driveway, all of a sudden the yellow wrench sign comes on the dashboard and the radio read the text "steering column". at that point i couldnt turn the car left or right i could only go straight! isn't this dangerous while driving fast speeds on the highway? I took it to the dealer and they replaced the steering column today so I figure this would fix it....WRONG!

As im driving out of the lot I notice that the car is pulling to the right and when i turn the steering wheel left it is really tight and hard to turn left completely, but when you turn right it is very very loose. i took it back to the service advisor who stated they will work on tomrrow and called the sale manager as well who told me he will speak to the service manager in the morning. looks like to me that they didn't even test out the car after replacaing the steering column. 1 more problem with the steering column and i could consider this car a lemon, or is it 4 times. ill check here in WI what the law states.....what a mess on the steering column in general.

anyone else have multiple problems with ther steering column or steering in general on the 2004 maxx's? Will Chevy look at this as a very serious problem especially when the steering wheel locks up when the steering column text and yellow wrecnch sign displays? because you can't turn left or right!!! you can get killed!

any help/feedback is appreciated.....
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 08:23 PM   #2
bearcatdon
AF Regular

Re: 2004 malibu maxx lt steering column replaced

bearcatdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:48 PM   #3
dinosaur
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2004 malibu maxx lt steering column replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatdon

I actually read all posts regarding the steering column info and thought maybe someone had an update or could provide some insight into what they have experienced recently.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:37 AM   #4
wpbharry
AF Regular

There are a "zillion" posts re: the steering column issue on early-build '04s in Edmund's Town Hall. I suggest you monitor the site regularly, as many other '04 Malibu and Maxx-related problems are discussed often. I personally don't care for the site, but this site is currently preoccupied with the last-gen Malibu, so what does one do?

The steering column issue was corrected by my build date (4/04); I think it only ran through vehicles built up to 2/04.

I need to replace the fuel tank next month; that little problem is on vehicles built from 3/04 - 5/04, I think.

Neither problem is an official GM recall. I understand that the '04s have more Technical Service Bulletins out there though than you'd believe. A ton, I hear.

Your Maxx isn't a lemon. It's first-year bugs that we all have. Your dealer needs a talking-to, however.....
wpbharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 04:21 PM   #5
dinosaur
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbharry
There are a "zillion" posts re: the steering column issue on early-build '04s in Edmund's Town Hall. I suggest you monitor the site regularly, as many other '04 Malibu and Maxx-related problems are discussed often. I personally don't care for the site, but this site is currently preoccupied with the last-gen Malibu, so what does one do?

The steering column issue was corrected by my build date (4/04); I think it only ran through vehicles built up to 2/04.

I need to replace the fuel tank next month; that little problem is on vehicles built from 3/04 - 5/04, I think.

Neither problem is an official GM recall. I understand that the '04s have more Technical Service Bulletins out there though than you'd believe. A ton, I hear.

Your Maxx isn't a lemon. It's first-year bugs that we all have. Your dealer needs a talking-to, however.....
My concern is that the steering wheel lock up while driving. i mean this is life or death here and I dont to put my family in that position either. 1 more time with any problem and I'm hiring a lemon law attorney. i dont need to go through this many problems with a brand new car. i could some moderate problems, but this is a very serious problem.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:21 PM   #6
dinosaur
AF Newbie

Quote:

Were do I find about TSB's for my 2004 maxx lt?
Old 11-24-2004, 09:41 AM   #7
wpbharry
AF Regular

Dozens of people that have reported the power steering failure have been able to drive the car to a safe place without any risk to life or limb. You're the only one that's complained about not being able to, unless your problem is something different.

There is a website, alldata.com, that lists TSBs but they are usually about a year behind (there might be an option to subscribe; for a fee you might be able to get them quicker). Anyone out there with any more input on how to get a hold of TSBs more timely?
wpbharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 01:48 PM   #8
dinosaur
AF Newbie

Quote:
Dozens of people that have reported the power steering failure have been able to drive the car to a safe place without any risk to life or limb. You're the only one that's complained about not being able to, unless your problem is something different.

There is a website, alldata.com, that lists TSBs but they are usually about a year behind (there might be an option to subscribe; for a fee you might be able to get them quicker). Anyone out there with any more input on how to get a hold of TSBs more timely?

here the latest:

got the malibu back, now there's a problem with the steering pulling to the left when i accelerate so this is the 3rd time i'm bringing it back for the steering problem. what would you in my case? would you ask for an exchange or would you allow them to fix it for a 3rd time and risk possible more problems?

as they say once a problem always a problem. it has 6,900 miles on it and in perfect shape. do you think the dealer would allow an exchange for the same or entirely different auto. i was also consdering the Equinox.

let me know.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu