Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 06:26 AM   #1
Steve Hummel
AF Newbie

Panoz GTS #50 For Sale

Panoz GTS #50 for sale. Won 2021 VARAC CL-A championship, 3rd owner, owned since 2016, consistent podium finishes. Body off restoration 2016-2018, raced 2018-now. Significant improvements for reliability, safety & performance. Professionally maintained. MASSIVE spares list (including new spare body less roof).

Full documentation accompanies vehicle (15+ binders, >200GB data), all parts/improvements/results/communication/preparation fully documented.

Racing video from Mosport:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wwJ_wuxCyk

Dyno testing new exhaust system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6L2rr59s5w

New engine for 2022 (1 race), Tremec TKX (5 races old), chassis completely refreshed for 2022 (including Penske shock rebuild).

For 10 page history/specs/spares/pictures contact stevejhummel at gmail.com or 519 572 seven six five four

Running the car at the VARAC Grand Prix June 17-19 at Mosport, just chassis dyno'd the car on May 31/22 to get ready! Have a video of that as well.

Panoz makes a great race car! Just finished my 1965 vintage road race notchback Mustang restoration (great history on car) & starting on my 1966 fastback Mustang, they will be my "new" race cars!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panoz celebration flames.jpg (85.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Panoz leading at CTMP Oct 2020.jpg (73.0 KB, 12 views)
Steve Hummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 04:48 AM   #2
Steve Hummel
AF Newbie

Re: Panoz GTS #50 For Sale

Attached is a 10 document detailed history, improvements, spares list, etc. for Panoz #50.

Best,

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Panoz #50 History & Specifications May 29 22.pdf (181.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 06-04-2022, 04:54 AM   #3
Steve Hummel
AF Newbie

Pictures of spare front crush box. Complete with new Griffin radiator, Panoz bumper, aluminum splitter/undertray, etc., literally ready to bolt on.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Spare nose assembly.pdf (169.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-04-2022, 05:05 AM   #4
Steve Hummel
AF Newbie

Bump steer modification picture attached. I am not a fan of single shear mounts for steering tie rods. When I rebuilt the chassis I modeled the front suspension, seeking to reduce bump steer to as low as possible. I also wanted to have a double shear mount for the outer rod end for safety/strength reasons. The car now has effectively zero bump steer over 5" of suspension travel (2.5" droop/bump).

Note the safety wire on the steering arm. Quite a few fasteners have been safety wired on the car. I believe that I kept my tool & die maker busy for a few days drilling bolts. After road racing since 1981 I learned that stuff comes loose at the most inopportune times so on anything that is deemed "likely to come loose" & will cause "a big problem" I just safety wire it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bump steer modification.pdf (124.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-04-2022, 05:14 AM   #5
Steve Hummel
AF Newbie

A big modification I made after our first track session at Mosport in 2018 was to stop the movement of the upper control arm (UCA). The Panoz inner mount relies on vertical compression. Even though I am not a blessed racing driver, with the 295/30/18 Hoosier DOT road race radials on the front (315's on the rear), the car could corner hard enough to actually move the UCA's inward.

So, I "noodled" with my tool & die guy (experienced race car chassis builder) & we decided on a double capture mount that would not only fix the UCA chassis position in place but also provide easy & precise adjustment for caster/camber.

This modification has worked really well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf UCA capture pictures.pdf (142.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-04-2022, 05:43 AM   #6
Steve Hummel
AF Newbie

So once the UCA mounts were improved I could then drive the car to its limit. However, I noticed that the front end felt a bit "soft", as though it was flexing a small amount.

I had already replaced the OEM Panoz rectangular top front chassis removable crossmember with a round chromoly tube (stronger but not heavier) as I figured that the original Panoz bar was not optimal in strength. Also, I ditched the OEM Ford radiator fill/overflow tank for a classic racing aluminum fill & overflow tanks (durability under high heat conditions).

I had also installed a coolant/oil cooler, getting rid of the air/oil engine cooler (susceptible to collision damage & coolant/oil coolers reduce engine wear on startup, coolant radiator was hugely up-sized to compensate for increased load) that was mounted behind the radiator. This required a chromoly mounting bar slightly lower than mid-way between the top & bottom of the front of the chassis. This mounting bar added stiffness to the front end.

However, it was apparent to me that the front end was still "soft". I knew that the chassis was square & all welds were good because during the rebuild my team & fabricators put the car on a chassis plate & checked it over thoroughly.

I was fortunate to have a life long friend, who was also an engineer for an unnamed OEM manufacturer, that had access to instrumentation to determine if some chassis flexing was taking place. So we went to Mosport again & tested the car during a race weekend.

Even though this chassis has all the Panoz updates, including the additional vertical reinforcement bars on the front end, there was some deflection. So, my tool & die guy fabricated triangulation supports on the top removable crossmember. we had to clear the alternator & power steering pump so he added gussets to ensure rigidity. We tied the triangulation bars right into the OEM Panoz vertical updated supports.

The result was no more "softness"!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Top front triangulated crossmember.pdf (221.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-04-2022, 06:00 AM   #7
Steve Hummel
AF Newbie

When I first raced the car in 2018 I noticed that the rear of the hood moved around quite a bit. It was apparent, in spite of the splitter/undertray added to the front end, that too much air was getting under the chassis. Mosport has a very fast & long back straight so this was easy to observe.

I had replaced the OEM Panoz front "Morflex" air dam with a fabricated aluminum air dam with a 1.5" splitter & an aluminum undertray that extended back to the front of the engine. This assembly was held on by Dzus fasteners to make it easily removable to load/unload the car & to replace in the event of damage.

High speed front end grip was quite good with this setup, balancing out the modifications we made to the OEM Panoz rear wing (slight relocation & addition of a Gurney flap).

However, it was clearly not enough to stop the rear of the hood from moving excessively.

Therefore, I did 3 things; opened the side vents on the Panoz hood using stainless steel screen & fabricated aluminum mounts, added 2 off-the-shelf carbon fiber hood vents behind the radiator & mounted 2 additional hood pins at the rear of the hood to supplement the existing OEM pins.

This did not stop all the hood movement as I would have needed to add top fender vents & a full undertray however it really reduced the movement. I also noted a slight improvement in engine cooling.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hood vents.pdf (107.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-04-2022, 06:43 AM   #8
Steve Hummel
AF Newbie

Attached is a link to a video that illustrates how much the hood moved. July 2018, 2nd race in the car, had not driven since 2011, my street rod engine was in the car, windshield smashed from debris thrown up earlier in the race (car blew an engine in front of me, parts hit windshield).

The hood moves a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo3Sxxjnzqo

Car really put power down well. My race engine (original Panoz SB Ford 351W modified with AFR heads, better camshaft, etc.) was not ready so I installed an engine I had build for a street rod project, another SB Ford 351W pump gas motor, it was down 100hp from the race engine but the car still hauled!
Old 01-28-2023, 06:47 AM   #9
Bwcracing
AF Newbie

Hi there I'm looking for parts for my gts. I need a nose and front fender .I am located close to mosport I was wondering if you would sell your spare nose ?
Bwcracing is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Panoz > GTRA / GTWS / GTS