Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 12:10 PM   #61
Renegade
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Renegade
Here goes another quick question about priming and painting.
Can I apply Dupli-Color Automotive paint on body which was primed with Tamiya Gray Primer?
I will be using Metallic Black (DupliColor) Acrylic Laquer for finishing coat.

Thanks!

And another thing. jay@af posted this in AF Car Modeling Frequently Asked Questions .
"Primer is a filler and a barrier coat, preparing the plastic to grip the paint, filling scratches and imperfections, as well as neutralizing any incompatibility between the paint and plastic. Automotive plastic primer is the best choice, as it is suitable for any top coat and comes in white or gray. Also available in clear though that has no filling properties. ?Key? the plastic by rubbing the whole body with 800 grade wet & Dry paper, then apply up to three coats of primer. Then leave for 24 hours, smooth with 1200 grade paper, then add the top coats."

Today I was looking in our city for Gray or White Platic primer. It took me more that 4 hours and I didn't get any. This thing doesnt exists in our country . I could only get Automotive primer for Metal and some filling putty. But both things were made on Nitrous base, so it would attack plastic. Should I try with Metal Gray Primer or it won't do the job OK? Till now I've been using clear plastic primer from DupliColor but that the only thing I could get.

Which brands are offering Gray or White plastic primers? DupliColor?
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:44 AM   #62
97strat
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 97strat
Re: Another......"HOW TO" prepare a body for primming and painting

how important is it having some kind of paint booth? What do u guys make them out of? Im new here, so dont get mad if this has been asked and is in another thread!thanks
97strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:48 AM   #63
Snooker
AF Enthusiast

Paint Booths protect the model against dust (I hope this is the right grammar) and your paint just lands on the model and in the spray booth and NOT in your basement/garage/whatever. Mine is made of wood.
Snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:29 AM   #64
sportsfreik3099
AF Newbie

should i get the fine, coarse, or finish compound for this?
sportsfreik3099 is offline   Reply With Quote