Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series
Cutlass Series Includes Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Cruiser, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Custom Cruiser, as well as the GM N-Body subforums.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Mikey_G
AF Newbie

92 Cutlass Supreme Power Steering Hose

I had a leak at one end of the braided section of power steering hose connecting two steel sections under the car. It's neither the pressure nor return up at the pump. To fix it the first time I pulled the two together and removed that section of braid. Now that is leaking again. I can't find the part anywhere other than maybe a junk yard. What's the best way to deal with this?

Mikey
Mikey_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

Re: 92 Cutlass Supreme Power Steering Hose

wait, do u mean 2 steel lines that loops between the power steering rack itself?

steel line== |hose| ==steel line

like that? and the "|" represent clamps?
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
Mikey_G
AF Newbie

Yes, exactly. There is a steel line then maybe a 8-10 inch section of hose then another run of steel line. The hose used to be covered with braided cloth and the previous leak was at one end of the hose where it connects to the steel line.
Mikey_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

normally it's a full steel pipe running from one end of the steering rack to the other... are those clamps aftermarket worm-style clamps.. signs of a rigged band-aid

you're talking about the hydraulic line (hard line), right? almost every vehicle i've seen has a steel line in those areas
-------------------------------------------
options:

i guess a trip to the junk yard to find the exact pipe from a donor steering rack
---------

or a trip to the local parts store for a steel line w/ fittings and bend it yourself to fit on the steering rack

if the parts store can pull a remanufactured steering rack off their shelves, use that as the template to bend the new steel line to shape
-----------

or just get a higher pressure hose that can stand it instead of using a regular heater hose for that band-aid; choose a pressure hose that is the same inside diameter as you're using now & cut it out of a junyard car... since those higher pressure hoses aren't being sold by the foot in the bulk section of parts stores (maybe napa?)

Last edited by ricebike; 05-06-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: previous pic is copyrighted
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
awe341max
AF Newbie

This is a power steering return hose. Specifically one with a extended steal line to cool the fluid.
If you want to find one new you will need to have the idiots at the parts counter look for power steering return hose with cooler, rather then just power steering return hose.

It's part #91911 (duralast from autozone)

The parts counter morons gave me quite the runaround about it when I had to get one for my 92 cutlass.
awe341max is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
hose , line , power , steering
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Cutlass Series