Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 11:39 PM   #1
sz2bkb
AF Newbie

96 jimmy won't start.

I am sort of at wits end here. I was driving the other day and out of the blue my jimmy stalled out and I have not been able to get it started since. I bought new cam and crank position sensors, ignition module, and coil. I also checked the fuel pressure which is over 60 lbs. There is spark out of the coil but it does not seem there is any coming from the distibutor. to make sure that I did not buy a defective crank sensor I went to GM and overpaid for one. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Dale
sz2bkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
94 Jimmy
AF Regular

Re: 96 jimmy won't start.

I hope you changed the Cap, Rotor and Wires as well, a cracked distributor cap will shunt all of the ignition current to ground, ditto for the rotor. You can't see the crack, you just have to change it and see what happens. Ignition wires are make with a fiber core impregnated with carbon or graphite. If they start arcing internally they will melt the core into an insulating goo and very little ignition current will get through.
Measure the resistance of the coil wire, since it carries the current for all the plugs, it should be between 1000-4000 ohms per foot. Or just replace it, for the few bucks it's not worth the hassle of taking it off and putting the old one back on.
Also check posts on the CPI(Central Port Injector, Spyder) if yours is leaking it will dump too much fuel into the intake and flood out the engine.
Good Luck, let us know what you find.
94 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
authoriti
AF Newbie

Re: 96 jimmy won't start.

Toss a little starter fluid in the throttle body and see if it starts. My 96 had a similar problem and it showed over 60psi on the fuel pressure and it was still a bad pump. I replaced every single fuel component short of the lines themselves before I did the fuel pump. Also if you do decide to change the fuel pump I have to bits of info that will save you a head ache. First remove the tank with two people one on the front protion and one on the rear. there is a small evap valve on the front half of the tank, and if you don't know it's there (like me) you will break it for sure. it's not hard to fix, but frustrating. Second, try and use the original fuel level sender. The one that came with my pump was wrong so when it's empty it reads 3/4 full. I got mine off ebay for 178 shipped. GM wants 650 and checker was 220 I think.

Oh and one other thing make sure you take off the fuel lines carefully as there are retaining tabs inside them.
authoriti is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy