Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Decanting spray paint for airbrushing

Since A/F is embedding photos into the threads; this will be my final post on A/F until they quit doing that

Don't buy anything from the advertiser whose ad is embedded into my post. Firefox users don't see them. IE users do.

Recently someone turned me onto the simplest solution I've heard of yet to decant spray paint. It costs nearly nothing, it does not make a mess, and no tools beyond a pair of scissors or your X Acto knife are needed. No need to go the hardware store or clean up a disaster. Captions below photos.

Ingredients:
Spray Can
Length of drinking straw
Small piece of Fun Tack (poster tack)
Suitable container

Make an O-ring from the fun tack and surround the nozzle with it.

Attach the straw to the fun-tack O-ring, adjust as necessary to make a good seal.

Simply spray the paint into a container. The paint mostly runs into the container, splashing/mess is almost non-existant. Remove straw & fun tack, wipe nozzle clean, and the spray can is able to be used again. No need to poke holes into a spray can!

Fun tack removed, nozzle wiped clean w/a paper towel. Fast, clean, easy; spray can is still usable. Decanted paint is ready to run through an airbrush. Let decanted paint sit open before covering the container, unless you immediately spray it through an airbrush. The propellant from the decanted paint is still there, if you cover the container it will pressurize and make a mess when you open it later. I have had zero problems w/immediately spraying the decanted paint through my airbrush, the propellant atomizes completely before hitting the model's surface.

This is one of my all-time favorite KISS methods.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
tonioseven
AF Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven
Re: Decanting spray paint for airbrushing

Cool!! I need to practice with my airbrush and this will help!!
tonioseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
freakmech
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakmech

Bob,

Every time someone tells me they arent using Firefox im in disbelief. I dont understand why anybody would use IE for regular web browsing unless they simply like popups, spyware, spam, and most of all, viruses. My virus scan software has become virtually useless since using Firefox almost 4 years ago. My spyware only warns me every now and again but its usually when im on a site that requires popup, such as streaming radio. Firefox is FREE, use it and rid yourself of all this online crap.... please. Most every virus is written to attack a MS based product, so get rid of the unneeded ones. I have my OS XP, Notepad, IE as a back up when ness. and thats it. Sorry but i cant believe someone would stop using a site because of software issues when its free and easy to fix it. Unless of course this is a computer at work or your on dial up, other wise there is NO reason not to run Firefox as your default web browser. RROOAAARRR!
Sorry Bob, hate to see you go for such an easily remedied problem.

Chad

freakmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Bob, I'm viewing your post with FireFox 2.0 and today for the first time ever I am seeing embedded ads on AF - bummer

I also decant Tamiya cans that way. McDonald's straws fit nice and tight so I don't even need the blue tack ;-)

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmech
Bob,

Every time someone tells me they arent using Firefox im in disbelief. I dont understand why anybody would use IE for regular web browsing unless they simply like popups, spyware, spam, and most of all, viruses. My virus scan software has become virtually useless since using Firefox almost 4 years ago. My spyware only warns me every now and again but its usually when im on a site that requires popup, such as streaming radio. Firefox is FREE, use it and rid yourself of all this online crap.... please. Most every virus is written to attack a MS based product, so get rid of the unneeded ones. I have my OS XP, Notepad, IE as a back up when ness. and thats it. Sorry but i cant believe someone would stop using a site because of software issues when its free and easy to fix it. Unless of course this is a computer at work or your on dial up, other wise there is NO reason not to run Firefox as your default web browser. RROOAAARRR!
Sorry Bob, hate to see you go for such an easily remedied problem.

Chad
Point taken; I will be using FF (new laptop that I need to get to work w/my cable modem and wireless router) but the point is that A/F is exploiting IE and some FF users (Klutz_100 has FF and is seeing ads). I use Fotki and they don't have an interface for FF to upload batches of pics, so IE is still necessary in that case. I don't dispute anything you say, it just sucks ass that this place we love is being spammed by the owners for a buck. The advertising that's here already in the headers/footers should more than pay the bills, I'm certainly not going to pay A/F for a premium membership to not see the embedded ads, especially when there are free ways around the problem (such as later versions of FF). Using FF is just one remedy to what is an unnecessary problem. I complained about this the last time it happened, and it quickly went away. I don't know why they've gone back to it. Guess that Skyline is eating up too much money
Old 03-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
freakmech
AF Enthusiast

Point taken Bob,

I do agree with you on some points. For instance, its kind of ironic that when we lost our AF galleries, it was about the same time we first started seeing ads. You would think that if Igor is making money off of ads then we shouldnt be losing user features. We should be gaining them. FF isnt the answer to everything but honestly ive rarely come across any interference since switching over but it isnt perfect. We lose AF Gallery but we gain free Photobucket access. I guess its like any other industry, money driven. Especially when your trying to finance a race car I am punk rock in many ways and a boycott does make change but i would just hate to see you leave this forum. One of the few quality users still around. Hell, i rarely even post anymore, but i still lurk for good advice, yes, the search function does work. Though im a little annoyed with a few "cliques" around these parts. Anyhow, hey Bob, i recommend FF for all of the web, not just AF, try it, youll like it. As far as AF goes, I didnt visit here for about 8 months because they did the whole split up of "wips" thing, to many sub-categories. But I still think over all this is the highest quality site for modelling there is, active or not, becuase of people like you. I was honored to meet you last year a NNL East, like meeting a movie star, silly i know, but really. We have a bigger impact on things then you think.

Sincerely,
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoomMX-5
Point taken; I will be using FF (new laptop that I need to get to work w/my cable modem and wireless router) but the point is that A/F is exploiting IE and some FF users (Klutz_100 has FF and is seeing ads). I use Fotki and they don't have an interface for FF to upload batches of pics, so IE is still necessary in that case. I don't dispute anything you say, it just sucks ass that this place we love is being spammed by the owners for a buck. The advertising that's here already in the headers/footers should more than pay the bills, I'm certainly not going to pay A/F for a premium membership to not see the embedded ads, especially when there are free ways around the problem (such as later versions of FF). Using FF is just one remedy to what is an unnecessary problem. I complained about this the last time it happened, and it quickly went away. I don't know why they've gone back to it. Guess that Skyline is eating up too much money

Old 03-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
bhop73
AF Enthusiast

Firefox still shows the ad for me.. but I had to install it to check, because I use Camino http://www.caminobrowser.org/ which gives you the option of disabling ALL web ads. (even embedded ones) I didn't even know what he was talking about at first.. heh, heh..

That might be a Mac only browser though..
Old 03-22-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
freakmech
AF Enthusiast

Actually, i just added Adblock from FF and selected the US version of Adblock and now im not even getting the Red X anymore for popups. Of cou rse, the ad companies will eventually find a way around this but so will Adblock. Go to FF site and look through there plug-ins. I swear i dont work for FF LOL. Lets build some fucking models already, please.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #9
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

I'm familiar w/Firefox, I've used it on other computers. Don't ask me why it's not on this old machine..

Jay gave me a handy link when I bitched and moaned about the forum breakup. I just click on the one link he made, and it gives me a digest of all the new posts since my last visit, in the various model car forums. That way I see new stuff in all the subforums. Other boards that are only model cars have a similar "view posts since your last visit" feature that makes navigating easy.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...8&postcount=87

I saved that page as a favorite. I rarely go into the forums any other way.

I really enjoyed meeting you and everyone I know through the forums at the NNL East last year. We're all stars around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmech
Point taken Bob,

I do agree with you on some points. For instance, its kind of ironic that when we lost our AF galleries, it was about the same time we first started seeing ads. You would think that if Igor is making money off of ads then we shouldnt be losing user features. We should be gaining them. FF isnt the answer to everything but honestly ive rarely come across any interference since switching over but it isnt perfect. We lose AF Gallery but we gain free Photobucket access. I guess its like any other industry, money driven. Especially when your trying to finance a race car I am punk rock in many ways and a boycott does make change but i would just hate to see you leave this forum. One of the few quality users still around. Hell, i rarely even post anymore, but i still lurk for good advice, yes, the search function does work. Though im a little annoyed with a few "cliques" around these parts. Anyhow, hey Bob, i recommend FF for all of the web, not just AF, try it, youll like it. As far as AF goes, I didnt visit here for about 8 months because they did the whole split up of "wips" thing, to many sub-categories. But I still think over all this is the highest quality site for modelling there is, active or not, becuase of people like you. I was honored to meet you last year a NNL East, like meeting a movie star, silly i know, but really. We have a bigger impact on things then you think.

Sincerely,
Chad
Old 03-22-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
freakmech
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the link!

Old 03-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #11
D_LaMz
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to D_LaMz

I still see the ad.
Also, would you have to thin the paint to use in the airbrush?

D_LaMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
Enzoenvy1
AF Enthusiast

ON a side note to the embedded adds, I wish the servers could support traffic consistently. That would be more enjoyable than anything. Some forums I belong to ask for a donation or upgraded memberships for $25 a year or something. Because of that, my favorite Jeep site has brand new servers that support any and all traffic. That would make my day here.
Enzoenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #13
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_LaMz
Also, would you have to thin the paint to use in the airbrush?
You might; depends on the paint. I usually add a few drops of Tamiya lacquer thinner (seems identical to Gunze/Mr. Hobby Mr. Color thinner) or Mr. Color Thinner when shooting Tamiya TS paints; though more by habit as the last time I shot some I didn't thin it, and it came out great.

This is a killer method of getting the last drops of paint out of a paint can! You would be amazed how much good, useable paint remains in a nearly-empty can that's not spraying too well anymore. Since I've started decanting Tamiya sprays and airbrushing them, I'm getting a LOT more mileage from the paint.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #14
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Please keep this thread on topic from here on out.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:53 PM   #15
D_LaMz
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to D_LaMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoomMX-5

This is a killer method of getting the last drops of paint out of a paint can! You would be amazed how much good, useable paint remains in a nearly-empty can that's not spraying too well anymore. Since I've started decanting Tamiya sprays and airbrushing them, I'm getting a LOT more mileage from the paint.
Wait, how would a can with almost no pressure, going to spray if you are to decant it? (I have some empty cans around I think. )

D_LaMz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling