Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Celebrity
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
bigciccone
AF Newbie

car wont start help asap!

i have an 89 checy celebrity and the car would stall when i would go to brake hard.. recently the car wouldnt start but i thought it was just cold weather.. its now warmer and the car cranks and cranks without dien out but will not start.. i took it somewhere to get looked at and they said they would have to change the battery and starter to get it started and also the module for 700 dollars all together. anyone have any ideas or have had the similiar problem?? i really need to know soon
bigciccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: car wont start help asap!

What engine is in the '89?

Is there spark at the plugs while cranking?

Is the injector feeding fuel (remove the air cleaner to observe)?

Any further information you can provide will be helpful.
Blue Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:13 AM   #3
bigciccone
AF Newbie

its a 2.8 v6 i believe.. i know its the six cylinder.. i took teh air filter our and sprayed starting fluid down in the throttle bottle and it wouldnt start. i dont know how to check if there is a sparks at the wires or not.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
jdl
AF Enthusiast

One of my vehicles is an 88 celeb v6. If you have done alot of cranking, you may have run the battery down. You need to get it charged-up. You might be able to get a jump from another vehicle, but the point is, you need good strong cranking rpms.

Blue is correct, check for spark at the plugs with the vehicle cranking. There are several ways to check this, it is probably best not to hold anything in your hand, but, sometimes you have to use what you have.

Pull a plug wire off a spark-plug, pull the boot not the wire. You can take a known good plug put it in the boot, lay metal part of plug on metal part of engine, any good ground, but the plug has to be grounded. Have a helper crank the engine while you watch for spark at the tip of the plug.

You could use a phillips screwdriver in the plug boot, hold the shank of the driver close to a good engine ground, while the engine is cranking, watch for a spark to jump from the phillips to ground. Just make sure the handle on the phillips is well insulated and clean, make sure the ground your trying to use is good. Secondary ignition voltage has a pretty good bite to it, I don't like to hold anything in my hand.

The auto stores also sell cheap sparktesters.
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Question Re: car wont start help asap!

those were bad on module i'm betting that's your prolem if your not getting any spark??
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
bigciccone
AF Newbie

someones looking at it now.. he said he is checking wires and stuff.. and says there is no spark. its hard to understand him because he dosnt speak english well.. he said something about getting a new car?.. If there is no spark it would the module? how much would that cost to get fixed?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
wagonman76
AF Newbie

If no spark (which sounds likely if it wont fire when spraying starting fluid in the intake), it is most likely the ignition module or the crank sensor. Both control the spark. But check for spark first, like posted above, by pulling a wire and using another spark plug to see if it sparks.
wagonman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #8
Scrapper
AF Premium User

beleave it or not the quickest way for me i stick screw diver in the plug wire and hold to the metal part of screw driver have someone turn it over and if no jolt then your not getting any spark and my dad sais i'm nut's..lol..
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Celebrity