Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
coyttl
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to coyttl Send a message via AIM to coyttl Send a message via Skype™ to coyttl
Question Idling rough, power issues, stalling.

Hey all,
You guys have helped me several years ago, replacing the TPS sensor and help with the radiator and such.

Now recently, getting some odd and potentially related issues.

1996 2.2l Cavalier, Auto. "4" VIN.

For as long as the girl has owned the car, the voltage had small fluctuations in it. Not only recorded on a voltmeter, but the radio readout would fluctuate visibly. Not huge, but slightly.

Now, having said that, about two months ago the tensioner bearing went bad. About two weeks ago, the idle got rather rough. The tensioner and belt haven't been replaced at this point.

By idle rough, this is what happens:
When idling cold, it seems to be fine. The only noticeable thing is the voltage wavering, as above. However, when the idle slows once the engine is warm, it seems to randomly miss cylinders, and if it happens to miss two or more, it'll stall. Obviously, it only happens when idling. When cruising, there's no noticeable loss of power while driving. The electrical flickering is much worse at this point as well, for the record.

The last couple days, I've (finally) replaced the belt, tensioner, and put in new wires (who the he11 decided to put the coil back there?!) and plugs. Havne't taken it out for a drive yet, but did start it up and let it warm up. Idling was still rough - didn't let it run enough to see if it stalled - but the voltage still fluctuated.

Thoughts on what to check for?

THanks in advance guys,
Mike.
coyttl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Helmuth48
AF Regular

Re: Idling rough, power issues, stalling.

Once you get is running again..go to Auto Store..Advance, AutoZone and have the Charging system checked....maybe a bad regulator.
Have you check for any DTC on the OBD 2 ??? the same places can do a scan for FREE !!!
Helmuth48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
coyttl
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to coyttl Send a message via AIM to coyttl Send a message via Skype™ to coyttl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth48 View Post
Once you get is running again..go to Auto Store..Advance, AutoZone and have the Charging system checked....maybe a bad regulator.
Have you check for any DTC on the OBD 2 ??? the same places can do a scan for FREE !!!
Hey, thanks for reminding me this was here. After going thru many things on it, everything checked out okay. No ABS or DTC codes, no Airbag codes, brake system seemed fine, plugs were fine (no heavy deposits or oil). So I went ahead and changed the ground cable from the engine to the tiedown to the battery (cleaning each point off well, of course), and replaced spark wires. After that - no issues. Thanks, Mike.
coyttl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
Helmuth48
AF Regular

I love the smell of gas and oil in the morning..it smells like....mmmmm... I don't have to bum a ride or take the bus today....Cheers...have a tinney or beer on me..

...The man from down under !!!!
Helmuth48 is offline   Reply With Quote