Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 10:02 PM   #1
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Thourun
Quality 6.5", need help.

One of my 10 year old infinity 6.5" door speakers is blown to hell and the other is on its way there. I'd like to replace them and not spend a huge ammount yet get good quality sound from whatever I decide to go with. I'd like some reccomendations, I'm looking to spend 75-150 for them (give or take, if you have a great sugestion outside of that range please fell free). I don't know that much about audio but I like brands like Infinity, JL, and JBL but again I don't know too much. I will probably upgrade my aging infinity 6x9" rear speakers and 2.5" infinty tweets in the near future too, dunno if that would affect the decision on the 6.5s. Ohh also I'll be using the stock infinity amp and head unit. Thanks guys.
Installed: ESP front precat eliminating downpipe, test pipe, RF-1008 K&N, Dejon tool Y pipe, 1G DSM BOV, MSD wires, Guted rear pre cat, ISSPRO EV Marine boost gauge, IPO MBC, EGR blockoffs, Palm m515 dataloger setup, NGK iridium plugs, SPEC stage II clutch 500ft/lb, 5300k HID plug and play setup.

Soon:Topline Engineering ground wires.
Thourun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:43 PM   #2
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ngsm13
Re: Quality 6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thourun
One of my 10 year old infinity 6.5" door speakers is blown to hell and the other is on its way there. I'd like to replace them and not spend a huge ammount yet get good quality sound from whatever I decide to go with. I'd like some reccomendations, I'm looking to spend 75-150 for them (give or take, if you have a great sugestion outside of that range please fell free). I don't know that much about audio but I like brands like Infinity, JL, and JBL but again I don't know too much. I will probably upgrade my aging infinity 6x9" rear speakers and 2.5" infinty tweets in the near future too, dunno if that would affect the decision on the 6.5s. Ohh also I'll be using the stock infinity amp and head unit. Thanks guys.
Well, if you're only going to use the stock amplifier and not buy an aftermarket amplifier, then...check out come CDT cl6-x coaxial speakers. Send Don an message, AIM: djdilliodon
OR
islandsound1@yahoo.com

He's an authorized dealer for CDT, sells new with full warranty for great prices! I put a set of those same speakers in my girls jeep grand cherokee on a stock infinity amp temporarily...they were a great replacement and only $45 shipped. peace

NG
ngsm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:01 AM   #3
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

Re: Quality 6.5", need help.

Well how much more would a cheep amp be for my speakers? Would it be worth it to get a new "cheep" one? I listen to the radio and my CD changer every time I'm in my car (now mostly because my rear turbo has a leaky gasket and is kinda annoying withought the music to drown it out lol).
Installed: ESP front precat eliminating downpipe, test pipe, RF-1008 K&N, Dejon tool Y pipe, 1G DSM BOV, MSD wires, Guted rear pre cat, ISSPRO EV Marine boost gauge, IPO MBC, EGR blockoffs, Palm m515 dataloger setup, NGK iridium plugs, SPEC stage II clutch 500ft/lb, 5300k HID plug and play setup.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:54 AM   #4
93-240SX-COUPE
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to 93-240SX-COUPE

A "cheap" amp for $150 wouldnt even make a difference if u have a fairly new head unit since the new head units push out about 200 RMS while a cheap amp would push out about 250 Peak, huge difference. Stick with the Infinity brand speakers, they are the best for that price range compared to kenwood, eclipse, sony, and jl.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:03 AM   #5
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

Its the stock infinity headunit, I realy like the double din layout and the graphic equalizer. I've been looking for specs on the stock amp and headunit but can't find any.

Old 03-16-2005, 02:06 AM   #6
93-240SX-COUPE
AF Enthusiast

tried googling it? See if anything comes up. Good to know so u know where to build up your system. But yeah, if u actually wanted to hear the biggest difference then u should buy a good amp, about $300, and buy speakers, about $200, and it will sound way better, like day and night, than if u just bought $500 speakers.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:18 AM   #7
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

Yea googled it for half an hour! I went to 3SI and searched the audio board and found it in 2 minutes lol, apparently the amp alone is "32W/Speaker x 6", still searching on the head unit though.

Old 03-16-2005, 02:22 AM   #8
93-240SX-COUPE
AF Enthusiast

If thats the case, Im not sure if u could, but u might be able to bridge the 3 & 4 channels, and 5 & 6 channels to produce more for the rear speakers and still only put out 32 per speaker for the front two. Once again, Im not sure. U have to ask an installer about that one because of the Ohms and if its even possible. If it is that wouldnt be so bad.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:37 AM   #9
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

My tweets are totaly blown and removed by the way. Very hard to find new 2.5" tweets.

Old 03-16-2005, 02:42 AM   #10
93-240SX-COUPE
AF Enthusiast

Nothing else to do but buy new speakers and hope that u find some 3" tweets and a good installer that will cut and sand really good to make them fit. Good luck with that project.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:09 AM   #11
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

Yea, with the tweets I think I'll just get some 3" ones and dremel out the holes in the dash a bit.

I'm leaning towards the Infinity 6.5s but I can't decide wheather to go with the reference or kappa series and whats better, component or X-way speakers? Again, I'm gonna use the stock amp and headunit so if the kappas are gonna be overkill just say so lol.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:14 AM   #12
93-240SX-COUPE
AF Enthusiast

U have a 4-runner though man, so u might need the Kappa's and plus it would be better to already be prepared for the next upgrade then to have to upgrade the speakers as well later.

Not sure what is meant by x-way, there are only components or coaxial as far as speakers. And then there are 2 or 3 way speakers for either components or coaxial. The components are the best though butcost more too, as u already know.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:38 AM   #13
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

umm...no...

Don't listen to the other noob, knows nothing about QUALITY car audio products...

So, if you have around $200...you can get a great set of COMPONENTS (not coaxials, these are a separate midbass, tweeter, xover) and a good amplifier to power them.

Talk to don like i said, ask for the CDT cl-61 components. Then look into a Profile CL400 amplifier, new on ebay or from Ikesound.com or thezeb.com

Total, it'll be $200 for good components and an amp to power them...it'll be a night and day difference. Also, the stock infinity amp is dinky...it's proly 32w PEAK and like 16w rms to each speaker...no better than a generic HU.

peace

NG
Old 03-16-2005, 12:41 PM   #14
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

Oppse, I forgot to update my car info, my main car now is my new VR4.

Ngsm13, I've never heard of the speaker/amp combo your sugesting and like I said I know nothing about audio so it seems sketchy to me unlike the infinity kappas.

Old 03-16-2005, 12:54 PM   #15
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Quality 6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thourun
Oppse, I forgot to update my car info, my main car now is my new VR4.

Ngsm13, I've never heard of the speaker/amp combo your sugesting and like I said I know nothing about audio so it seems sketchy to me unlike the infinity kappas.
Well, it's feels weird saying this...but Car Audio IS my LIFE, and it has been for the past 2.5 years...been into it serious for about 3.5 years. The CDT's will outperform the Infinities in EVERY ASPECT...and the amp suggested will give the needed power within your budget. My buddy has the same amp and it's been going strong for 1.5years absolutely no problems...

The soul reason i'm on this board is to help others with caraudio, and keep them on the correct path. If i notice something some1 else suggests in the same budget that is better, I'll admit that. Stick with my suggestion, components and an amp for $200 can't be beat. peace

NG

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio