Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:00 PM   #1
FERRARI_JUNK
AF Newbie

ferrari Vs Porsche

I find it funny when people even compare ferrari with PORSCHE.For these reasons:
-PORSCHE CAN GET OVER 580 HORSES FROM A 6 CYLINDER THAT IS 3.8L WHEN ferrari can get that (barely) from a v12
-PORSCHE HAS A AMAZING FUEL CONSUMPTION AND ferrari is always drunk on gas
-PORSCHE HAS THE BEST QUALITY IN THE WORLD OVERALL,AS PROVEN IN THE TESTS TAKEN IN "07 WHEN IT BEAT TOYOTA AND LExUS,YET ferrari IS NOT EVEN ON THE CHARTS..................FORD IS
-PORSCHE HAS CARS THAT GO UNDER 4 SEC AND CAN GET 4 PEOPLE INSIDE UNLIKE ferrari's 2 SEATER AND 6 SECOND CARS (F430,360/STRADALE,599,SCALIGETI,ENZO)
-OHH AND PORSCHE HAS ACTUAL TIMERS THAT YOU CAN TEST YOURSELF TO SEE THAT IT REALLY IS THAT FAST
-AND PORSCHES ARE DEVELOPED AND PERFECTIONED TO THE LAST BIT ,FOR THE LAST 50 YEARS ,HOS!
Thats about it ,oh and a if u have a ferrari/fiat then you probably know you made a mistake when your car gets beaten by SUVs (Porsche Cayenne Turbo S)
FERRARI_JUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:07 AM   #2
silentscreams85
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to silentscreams85
Re: Important!!!!!!!ferrari Vs Porsche

So what are these quality charts exactly? What is your source?

K&N Intake
TRD axleback exhaust
silentscreams85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
GForce957
AF Enthusiast

I always believe things from people who are waiting for their mom to get back from work so they can take her minivan to the mall to show off.
GForce957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Don't feed the trolls.

"I collect walnuts"
-Kimi Raikkonen on his hobbies outside of F1
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:21 AM   #5
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Actually, I've changed my mind, I'm going after this one-

1) Which 6 cylinder Porsche had 580hp? The most powerful 911 is the upcoming GT2 which has 530. The I6 compared to V12 comparison doesn't mean much when the Porsche is turbocharged and the Ferrari is N/A. It takes a $200,000+ Porsche GT2 to beat a F430 power or performance wise.

2) Who cares about fuel consumption when you buy a $150,000+ supercar? Trust me, anyone that can afford a Ferrari can afford the gas. If you are concerned about the environment, no Porsche is exactly a Prius in terms of consumption either.

3) I think you are referring to the JD Powers vehicle satisfaction survey. Ferrari is way to low volume to be considered for the survey. The least expensive Ferrari costs three times as much as the lest expensive Porsche. You can't really get good scientific results when the company only makes a few thousand cars a year. Yes, Ferraris arn't reliable, but you don't exactly buy them to drive you kids to school either.

4) Porsche has one 4 seater that they claim to do 0-60 under 4.0, and that is the Turbo. The F430, 360CS, 599GTB, and Enzo all do it under 4.0. Who cares about back seats in a supercar anyways? Its just extra weight. When you buy a sportscar, the last thing I'm concerned about is how many people it can carry. It can carry one for all I care. The back seats of a 911 are terrible anyways. On the other hand, just about every comparison done between the Ferrari F430 and the 911 Turbo has favored the Ferrari. C&D said the F430 was faster around a track too.

5) Timers are a gimic. Its just more weight. Times arn't whats important. Where you are in relation to the other guy is.

6) This sounded like a marketing line...

7) The Cayenne Turbo S is just about the most pointless vehicle in the world. Nobody takes a Porsche off road, nobody races SUVs. So really you'll just get your kids to soccer practice a few tenths faster then the mom with the slower SUV. I'd absolutely love to see a Cayenne Turbo S against any modern Ferrari on a road course. A 6,000lb SUV against a 3,000 Ferrari? I think not.

8) Ferrari is further from Fiat then Porsche is from VW. Remember, the 911 was originally based on a VW Bug.

Now that your points are refuted I'd like to make a few of my own-

1) Porsche's designers are the biggest cowards in the automotive world. Every new Ferrari is unique compared to the last generation model. A 355 is easily distinguishable from a 360 and a 575m is easily distinguishable from a 599GTB. The 911 has barely changed a bit from 40 years ago. The 996 and the 997 are almost identical except for minor differences in the headlights and taillights. Porsche also won't abandon the deeply flawed rear-engined layout. They are too scared to anger their supporters that they won't change at all.

2) They are prisoners to the 6-cylinder. The Boxster, Cayman, and 911 are all stuck with the flat 6, which is why cars like the new BMW M3 are going to be faster then the 911 Carrera and 911 Carrera S. BMW, Audi, Mercedes, and Ferrari arn't bogged down by these kind of design restrictions, Porsche is and they are worse off for it. This is why the Corvette has been faster then the base 911 for a while now.

3) Porsche is weak at motorsports. They are doing well at the lower levels of LeMans racing, but they don't have a P1 LMS/ALMS car and they don't have a F1 team. Ferrari is synonamous with F1, arguably the highest level of motorsport. Ferrari is the winningest F1 team of all time. The F430 was beating the 911 GT3 in ALMS too.

4) Porsche ends where Ferrari begins. The most expensive Porsche sports car right now is the 911 Turbo Cabrio at ~$130,000. The least expensive Ferrari is the F430, which starts well north of that. The worst part about the Turbo Cabrio is that nobody except car enthusiasts can tell the difference between that an a base 911 Carrera. A Ferrari is instantly recognizable because the model ranges are nowhere near as diluted.

5) A Ferrari V8 or V12 sounds much much better then any turbo Porsche I've ever heard.

"I collect walnuts"
Old 10-11-2007, 04:21 AM   #6
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Ever seen a passionate German, or an Italian weld?

I'll have a Honda thanks
Old 10-20-2007, 04:42 AM   #7
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie
Ever seen a passionate German, or an Italian weld?

I'll have a Honda thanks
GTFO noob! runaround

Though in all seriousness, this thread would not even be here if the thread-starter had driven both an F430 and a GT3, the cars are chalk and cheese.

I still lol at the timer point though, that's what I have a watch for...

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:00 AM   #8
ZRYDERVR4
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanM3_S2
Actually, I've changed my mind, I'm going after this one-

1) Which 6 cylinder Porsche had 580hp? The most powerful 911 is the upcoming GT2 which has 530. The I6 compared to V12 comparison doesn't mean much when the Porsche is turbocharged and the Ferrari is N/A. It takes a $200,000+ Porsche GT2 to beat a F430 power or performance wise.

2) Who cares about fuel consumption when you buy a $150,000+ supercar? Trust me, anyone that can afford a Ferrari can afford the gas. If you are concerned about the environment, no Porsche is exactly a Prius in terms of consumption either.

3) I think you are referring to the JD Powers vehicle satisfaction survey. Ferrari is way to low volume to be considered for the survey. The least expensive Ferrari costs three times as much as the lest expensive Porsche. You can't really get good scientific results when the company only makes a few thousand cars a year. Yes, Ferraris arn't reliable, but you don't exactly buy them to drive you kids to school either.

4) Porsche has one 4 seater that they claim to do 0-60 under 4.0, and that is the Turbo. The F430, 360CS, 599GTB, and Enzo all do it under 4.0. Who cares about back seats in a supercar anyways? Its just extra weight. When you buy a sportscar, the last thing I'm concerned about is how many people it can carry. It can carry one for all I care. The back seats of a 911 are terrible anyways. On the other hand, just about every comparison done between the Ferrari F430 and the 911 Turbo has favored the Ferrari. C&D said the F430 was faster around a track too.

5) Timers are a gimic. Its just more weight. Times arn't whats important. Where you are in relation to the other guy is.

6) This sounded like a marketing line...

7) The Cayenne Turbo S is just about the most pointless vehicle in the world. Nobody takes a Porsche off road, nobody races SUVs. So really you'll just get your kids to soccer practice a few tenths faster then the mom with the slower SUV. I'd absolutely love to see a Cayenne Turbo S against any modern Ferrari on a road course. A 6,000lb SUV against a 3,000 Ferrari? I think not.

8) Ferrari is further from Fiat then Porsche is from VW. Remember, the 911 was originally based on a VW Bug.

Now that your points are refuted I'd like to make a few of my own-

1) Porsche's designers are the biggest cowards in the automotive world. Every new Ferrari is unique compared to the last generation model. A 355 is easily distinguishable from a 360 and a 575m is easily distinguishable from a 599GTB. The 911 has barely changed a bit from 40 years ago. The 996 and the 997 are almost identical except for minor differences in the headlights and taillights. Porsche also won't abandon the deeply flawed rear-engined layout. They are too scared to anger their supporters that they won't change at all.

2) They are prisoners to the 6-cylinder. The Boxster, Cayman, and 911 are all stuck with the flat 6, which is why cars like the new BMW M3 are going to be faster then the 911 Carrera and 911 Carrera S. BMW, Audi, Mercedes, and Ferrari arn't bogged down by these kind of design restrictions, Porsche is and they are worse off for it. This is why the Corvette has been faster then the base 911 for a while now.

3) Porsche is weak at motorsports. They are doing well at the lower levels of LeMans racing, but they don't have a P1 LMS/ALMS car and they don't have a F1 team. Ferrari is synonamous with F1, arguably the highest level of motorsport. Ferrari is the winningest F1 team of all time. The F430 was beating the 911 GT3 in ALMS too.

4) Porsche ends where Ferrari begins. The most expensive Porsche sports car right now is the 911 Turbo Cabrio at ~$130,000. The least expensive Ferrari is the F430, which starts well north of that. The worst part about the Turbo Cabrio is that nobody except car enthusiasts can tell the difference between that an a base 911 Carrera. A Ferrari is instantly recognizable because the model ranges are nowhere near as diluted.

5) A Ferrari V8 or V12 sounds much much better then any turbo Porsche I've ever heard.
Ferrari >>>>>>>>>>porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphius289
Well, if that's the way people choose between 3000's and Stealths, than we wouldn't have any need for Stealths, would we?
ZRYDERVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:36 AM   #9
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Re: ferrari Vs Porsche

Damn, Dinan just saved me a lot of time.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:39 PM   #10
crayzayjay
CFA

I was nodding along until i got to:

Quote:
1) Porsche's designers are the biggest cowards in the automotive world.... Porsche also won't abandon the deeply flawed rear-engined layout.
Cowards? Try genii. Yes, the layout is flawed. But have you ever driven a 911? Thrilling.

Quote:
Faster does not equal better. Besides, with the 'flawed' rear-engined layout, you make better use of power.

Quote:
3) Porsche is weak at motorsports.
LOL. Doesn't merit a response.

Quote:
4) Porsche ends where Ferrari begins.
So? Porsche's offer better value. And when you get into the higher price brackets, look at the Carrera GT. More often than not acknowledged to be superior to the Enzo.

Ferrari and Porsche both make terrific cars. Let's leave it at that.

This is not 'Nam, this is AF. There are rules.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #11
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Lotus kicks their asses.
Colin Chapman > (Enzo Ferrari + Ferdinand Porsche)

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 PM   #12
crayzayjay
CFA

Oh no you di'nt!

This is not 'Nam, this is AF. There are rules.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #13
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

once upon a time, people joked that Lotus were held together by uhu and duct tape.
Who's laughing now eh?

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:20 AM   #14
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzayjay
I was nodding along until i got to:

Cowards? Try genii. Yes, the layout is flawed. But have you ever driven a 911? Thrilling.

Faster does not equal better. Besides, with the 'flawed' rear-engined layout, you make better use of power.

LOL. Doesn't merit a response.

So? Porsche's offer better value. And when you get into the higher price brackets, look at the Carrera GT. More often than not acknowledged to be superior to the Enzo.

Ferrari and Porsche both make terrific cars. Let's leave it at that.
Yay! someone is finally willing to argue with me. I've been craving a good ole' Car Comparisons debate for a while now.

My biggest problem with the rear engine setup is that I know, that they know, that they could do better. Nobody uses RR anymore except Porsche with the 911. Virtually all modern supercars are variations on MR. They even use that setup on their own supercar, the Carrera GT, yet they refuse to change the all important 911 to MR. The 911 is a great car, but I can't help but think they could be making an even better car.

The N/A 6-cylinder will place further limits on the 911, Boxster, and Cayman. Will they seriously go all the way up to a 4.0L 6-cylinder for the next generation 911 CS, bumping the engine by .2l as they have been? Eventually they won't be able to compete in the horsepower war (some would say they already can't) unless they drastically change the entry level 911 powerplant. I don't know if the answer is a V8, higher revvs (generally reserved for the GT3 and a bit harsh for a regular 911), or forced induction (generally reserved for the Turbo and GT2), but a 4 liter 6-cylinder is starting to get rediculous. Eventually Porsche won't be able to squeeze more power out of a N/A 6-cylinder. BMW has already given up, going from the I6 in the E36 and E46 M3 to a V8 in the E92. Will Porsche be willing to make necessary changes to keep the 911 competitive?

I honestly do think that Porsche is a little weak right now when it comes to motorsports. Only recently has Porsche returned to prototype racing in LeMans/ALMS, and only in P2 (granted, sometimes they are faster then P1). They also don't compete in F1, generally considered the height of motorsports. The entire Ferrari company is dedicated to developing and raising funds for their F1 team, while Posche has no such focus on motorsports. Perhaps it is unfair to say Porsche is weak in motorsports due to all of the 911s racing in various series, but they definitely do not compete at the level Ferrari does and they are definitely not as dedicated to motorsports as Ferrari is at a company-wide level. Somewhere along the line the spirit of Ferdinand has slipped away while Enzo's racing centered philosophy is still very much alive.

I honestly do like Porsche, but I can't help but feel that they are being overtaken by BMW, Mercedes, and Audi as the premier German performance company. Performance cars like the Audi R8 arn't limited by Porsche's RR 6cyl philosophy, and are better off for it. BMW, Mercedes, and Audi all compete in top level motorsports (BMW and Mercedes in F1, Audi in LMP1) where Porsche is nowhere to be seen. Meanwhile, Porsche gives us a SUV and is about to sell a sedan like car called the Panamera. Porsche is in serious need of a wakeup call, or else they will be best known for upscale roadsters and SUVs rather then genuine performance and racing.

"I collect walnuts"
Old 10-25-2007, 01:45 AM   #15
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Quote:
Porsche is in serious need of a wakeup call, or else they will be best known for upscale roadsters and SUVs rather then genuine performance and racing.

Porsche is trying its hardest to become a new BMW.
They know that to grow they have to expand their market beyond middle aged men still are stuck in the 80s, and young rich guys who don't know enough about cars to understand how bad a rear engine lay out is for handling.
So they are working on a wider range of more affordable, and more practical cars. Like the Gayman and the up coming Panenema.

Then, finaly, they can retire the 911, and replace it with something a little more modern.
For those that love it, and I know there are some weird people out there, think of the following:
How good could it have been if they had put the engine in the right place?

Could you imagine a world in which Lotus still made the series 1 7, Morgan still make the Plus 4, and TVR's were still powered by huge inline 6 cylinder motors?
Ok, bad examples.
How about a world where BMW still made a 4 cylinder M3, Ferrari's were still carberated, and Lamborghini still make tractors?

Everyone has moved on (we'll excuse the English) except Porsche.
Its time Porsche woke up, smelled the VAG and moved on as well.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons