Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 06:05 PM   #196
hybridsol
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hybridsol
Quote:
Originally posted by -cy-
True muscle cars are more expensive to start out with in general, but one you try to build a civic up to the speed and ability of the muscle car, you have just destroyed the driveability part it had over the muscle, and spent just as much if not more.

I have nothing against people building up civics and integras, but i don't think its fair to say "well, its better to mod an import than a domestic b/c you get more return". Guy around here has an internally stock '00 Z28 with a supercharger (running 8 or 9 pounds, can't remember) and dyno's 544rwhp. Either can be built to be fast, its where your tastes and abilities lie.
Depends on your knowledge of the automotive being modified. For instance a b18c b16a or h22a just to name a few are built with the intention of withstanding a much higher cr(ductile), making it easy for a civic or any honda to handle much more boost/compression than most domestics. Furthermore the two engine designs are completely different domestic manufacturers have traditionally built engines with lots of torque, Japanese manufacturers build engines with less torque, but the ability to rev much higher. This typically means that honda's don't accelerate as quickly right off the line as their domestic counterparts, but they are able to accelerate for longer in the same gear -9,000 rpm redline vs. a 5,500 rpm redline for example. You see domestics use a longer stroke and a shorter bore, while imports use a shorter stroke and a larger bore. There is a drawback to a long stroke because the piston must travel a longer distance, there is a physical limit to how many RPM the engine can achieve. On the opposite end of the spectrum, an engine with a large bore and short stroke will produce less overall torque, but has the ability to reach much higher revolutions per minute, and subsequently more horsepower. As for the remark reffering to me as a 17 yr old, I'm 22 and a mechanical engineer.
Old 12-15-2002, 06:06 PM   #197
hybridsol
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by WakkaWu
No they can't.Williamsport where?
you need to do some research. and PA.
Old 12-15-2002, 10:07 PM   #198
WakkaWu
Banned

Send a message via AIM to WakkaWu
There are Williamsport towns all over the country smart one.I don't need to do research on a place I will never visit.And yes,Im fairly close to there.Couple hours maybe.
Old 12-15-2002, 10:52 PM   #199
hybridsol
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
There are Williamsport towns all over the country smart one.I don't need to do research on a place I will never visit.And yes,Im fairly close to there.Couple hours maybe.
........ I meant research the vehicle............ I live on maple ave. which is a few blocks up the street from the college. Or just go to D-house and check out the X-board for location. (I can PM you with directions.)
PS- your location says sacramento ca.? you live near Pa.?
Old 12-15-2002, 11:24 PM   #200
WakkaWu
Banned

I used to live in Binghamton, New York.You live near State College?(PSU)?Let me know if you do.And a ctock Honda CANNOT beat a HEMI,Vette,Trans Am or Mustang.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:43 AM   #201
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-
Sure it can... Hybridsol's cars are stock by all means... Stock as they come... If you believe that then... well ... then you're an Idiot. hehe.

But, yeah his car can beat all those... and it has. His cars are so badass Honda Motor Corp. calls him up for ideas.

Dont believe me? Take a lil road trip up there find out. I garauntee you'll have fun!

And all thats coming from a diehard Domestic fan... If that doesnt mean something then I've no clue what does.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

Old 12-16-2002, 12:55 AM   #202
hybridsol
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I used to live in Binghamton, New York.You live near State College?(PSU)?Let me know if you do.And a ctock Honda CANNOT beat a HEMI,Vette,Trans Am or Mustang.
I never said it was stock...... I simply stated that it was (and is) more cost efficent for me to build a fast car using a honda. I was a student at main, and am now attending a branch campus (specified ecu design). My sister goes there to, were lion kids. But yea I have lots of friends there. Mostly around UT and the towers.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:01 AM   #203
hybridsol
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by RedNeck383
Sure it can... Hybridsol's cars are stock

honest...... they are.

PS- I don't want it to sound like I dislike domestics. I myself am obsessed with 60's stangs. Redneck has a kickass nova as well.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:40 PM   #204
WakkaWu
Banned

[quote]Sure it can... Hybridsol's cars are stock by all means... Stock as they come... If you believe that then... well ... then you're an Idiot. hehe.

But, yeah his car can beat all those... and it has. His cars are so badass Honda Motor Corp. calls him up for ideas.

Dont believe me? Take a lil road trip up there find out. I garauntee you'll have fun!

And all thats coming from a diehard Domestic fan... If that doesnt mean something then I've no clue what does.[quote]

It is impossible for a stock Honda to beat a car with 405HP(Vette Z06).You are an idiot to belive that that is possible.1997 Honda Del Sol SI SOHC VTECH 1.6 Liter; 4 Cylinder; 127HP;5 Speed...thats a stock,127 HP against 405HP.Im probably making a bad choice here but Im going with the Vette that has 405HP

Quote:
I never said it was stock...... I simply stated that it was (and is) more cost efficent for me to build a fast car using a honda. I was a student at main, and am now attending a branch campus (specified ecu design). My sister goes there to, were lion kids. But yea I have lots of friends there. Mostly around UT and the towers.

You have a lot of friends and PSU?
Old 12-16-2002, 11:43 PM   #205
Civicgurl
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Civicgurl
I think what hybridsol is trying to point out to you is that most muscle cars are more expensive to begin with. like alot more expensive. In his case it is more "cost efficent" to buy a honda which is thousands of dollars less and modify it. Also wakkaWu hybridsol has DOHC over 300 hp delsol and his CRX beat a hemi cuda.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:41 AM   #206
hybridsol
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

You have a lot of friends and PSU?
:huh:
yea I have friends there.........(I think thats what your asking, but I already stated that?) Do you go to main?
Old 12-18-2002, 03:43 AM   #207
hybridsol
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Civicgurl
I think what hybridsol is trying to point out to you is that most muscle cars are more expensive to begin with. like alot more expensive. In his case it is more "cost efficent" to buy a honda
Bingo
Old 12-18-2002, 04:14 AM   #208
75stroppe
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by F20C

Yes you could with aftermarket parts. However the main part of how car handles is the chassis. If you have a soft chassis doesn't matter how big anti-roll bar you put in the car still have it's limits for improvment. You need a solid chassis to work with or else you be down big time.
That is why they invented subframe connectors. But older muscle cars were never made for good handling since the public wanted straightline performance but it is hard to avoid that a 2003 Mustang Cobra with IRS does not have handling.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:03 AM   #209
JBL85
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to JBL85
You are saying the Cobra with IRS has bad handling?
Old 12-19-2002, 11:17 AM   #210
75stroppe
AF Newbie

doh It did not come out right I meant to say that ford improving Even though it is run by a bunch of chickensh** old farts