Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 12:18 PM   #1
shifter5888
AF Newbie

Arrow Comparison Between: Nissan Models/Engines

Hey Guys,

As the topic suggests, lets compare the different Nissan models and see; what makes certain models better than others, certain engines better than others, what engine swaps are possible for each model, what the best methods of forced induction is for each model, and basic overall improvements of certain Nissan models.

Thanks, and I look forward to reading your responses!
Old 03-12-2004, 08:44 PM   #2
shifter5888
AF Newbie

I heard that the Nissan 240sx is good for drifting, why is this? Also, why is the 300zx such a good car?
Old 03-12-2004, 10:17 PM   #3
nacho_nissan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nacho_nissan Send a message via MSN to nacho_nissan Send a message via Yahoo to nacho_nissan
Re: Comparison Between: Nissan Models/Engines

yes the 240SX is a good srifting car. but you will have to swap a SR20DET in order to make a good drift car. the 300zx is a badass car because... it just is! its really good, reliable, and we could call it fast, considering those VQ engines where designed like 15 years ago or so...
Old 03-12-2004, 10:53 PM   #4
shifter5888
AF Newbie

What is the original engine in the 240sx? Why is the sr20 engine better? What actually makes the 240sx a good drift car?
Old 03-12-2004, 10:55 PM   #5
StupidBrodie
AF Regular

yeah if you like tanks that handle OK and are sort of fast... then the 300zx is your best bet...
Old 03-13-2004, 01:20 AM   #6
shifter5888
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Comparison Between: Nissan Models/Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidBrodie
yeah if you like tanks that handle OK and are sort of fast... then the 300zx is your best bet...
If that's indeed true, then I definitely don't see why people would prefer these cars because they don't seem to be THE most reliable cars and they're not cheap either.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:38 AM   #7
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max
Re: Re: Comparison Between: Nissan Models/Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho_nissan
yes the 240SX is a good srifting car. but you will have to swap a SR20DET in order to make a good drift car. the 300zx is a badass car because... it just is! its really good, reliable, and we could call it fast, considering those VQ engines where designed like 15 years ago or so...
the vq engine didn't come out til 95. it's a VG or VE prior to that. and even when the VQ did come out the 300z's stayed with the VG. they stopped making the 300z cuz the same year maxima's were just as fast or faster and stole all the 300z sales and not enough people were buying the TT versions to warrant keeping the whole car in production.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:28 AM   #8
shifter5888
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Comparison Between: Nissan Models/Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
the vq engine didn't come out til 95. it's a VG or VE prior to that. and even when the VQ did come out the 300z's stayed with the VG. they stopped making the 300z cuz the same year maxima's were just as fast or faster and stole all the 300z sales and not enough people were buying the TT versions to warrant keeping the whole car in production.
So I'm assuming that if Nissan stayed with the VG even after the production of the VQ, the VG outperformed the VQ? Also, are certain models of the VG or VE considered better than other or are they all pretty much the same? If some are actually better, what makes them better?

In addition, are Nissan Maximas actually faster than the 300zx TT, the reason that I'm asking is because the 300zx has RWD?!

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2004, 04:56 PM   #9
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max
Re: Re: Re: Re: Comparison Between: Nissan Models/Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifter5888
So I'm assuming that if Nissan stayed with the VG even after the production of the VQ, the VG outperformed the VQ? Also, are certain models of the VG or VE considered better than other or are they all pretty much the same? If some are actually better, what makes them better?

In addition, are Nissan Maximas actually faster than the 300zx TT, the reason that I'm asking is because the 300zx has RWD?!

Thanks!
no it's definitely not faster than a TT. it's faster then a NA 300z and given the right driver can best an automatic Turbo. I can't say for sure but i think nissan kept using the VG because it came stock with lower compression pistons and was therefore more turbo ready. I know a kid who couldn't afford a TT so he bought a NA one and went forced induction later, he opted for a supercharger and ran it with stock internals other than the turbo 300z Fuel injectors.

the max is faster cuz it's a lighter car that makes more torque and doesn't have a driveshaft running to the Rear wheels to steal power before it can be put to the ground. the 300z undoubtedly has more potential and RWD is a more optimal platform for the kind of power it can produce. However the nissan VQ engine has been given the title Best v6 in its class by Wards Automotive ever since it's debut. The VQ30 makes 190 hp and 205 lbs of tq and the maxima ranges from 2895 lbs to 3100 lbs. there are a lot of options for maxima's that can vary it's weight ie: leather seats, power seats, moonroof, etc. but even at it's heaviest it's still at least 200 lbs lighter than a 300z.

As for the variations of VG30 and VE30 i'm not 100% on the VE but the vg has 2 variations in the maxima. The VG30E, a 160 hp 176 lbs tq sohc 3.0L V6 that comes in the base model. in the SE there is the VG30DE which makes 190 hp and 190 lbs tq. D designates DOHC and is therefore the more pwerful engine. the version in the 300z makes 220 hp and 198 lbs of tq but is used in a car that weighs 300-400 lbs more, depending on the model, not to mention the drivetrain loss i mentioned. thereby nullifying it's power advantage.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:02 PM   #10
shifter5888
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Comparison Between: Nissan Models/Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
no it's definitely not faster than a TT. it's faster then a NA 300z and given the right driver can best an automatic Turbo. I can't say for sure but i think nissan kept using the VG because it came stock with lower compression pistons and was therefore more turbo ready. I know a kid who couldn't afford a TT so he bought a NA one and went forced induction later, he opted for a supercharger and ran it with stock internals other than the turbo 300z Fuel injectors.

the max is faster cuz it's a lighter car that makes more torque and doesn't have a driveshaft running to the Rear wheels to steal power before it can be put to the ground. the 300z undoubtedly has more potential and RWD is a more optimal platform for the kind of power it can produce. However the nissan VQ engine has been given the title Best v6 in its class by Wards Automotive ever since it's debut. The VQ30 makes 190 hp and 205 lbs of tq and the maxima ranges from 2895 lbs to 3100 lbs. there are a lot of options for maxima's that can vary it's weight ie: leather seats, power seats, moonroof, etc. but even at it's heaviest it's still at least 200 lbs lighter than a 300z.

As for the variations of VG30 and VE30 i'm not 100% on the VE but the vg has 2 variations in the maxima. The VG30E, a 160 hp 176 lbs tq sohc 3.0L V6 that comes in the base model. in the SE there is the VG30DE which makes 190 hp and 190 lbs tq. D designates DOHC and is therefore the more pwerful engine. the version in the 300z makes 220 hp and 198 lbs of tq but is used in a car that weighs 300-400 lbs more, depending on the model, not to mention the drivetrain loss i mentioned. thereby nullifying it's power advantage.
Ohh I see, nice explanation!

Do you know what kind of power increase the super-charger gave to your friends NA 300zx approximately? And in addition, lets say someone lives in the city where there is usally mild traffic and he/she would usually have to travel at about 15-30 daily, but then takes their car to the strip on weekends. For the city, the way I understand it is that if the person had a turbo 300zx he should would suffer because of the loss in low-end torque, and very bad throttle response. While the super-charger probably would be less powerful than the turbo, but help with the boost of power across the entire rpm range.

Also, is there a large difference between the Nissan 350z and the Infiniti G35?

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2004, 08:06 PM   #11
shifter5888
AF Newbie

And in addition, do any of you guys what makes the 240sx a good drifting car besides the fact that it's relatively light and has rwd?
Old 03-13-2004, 08:23 PM   #12
ghetto7o2azn
AF Enthusiast

its well balanced.... the best drifting cars are front engine, rwd cars... some examples are the skyline gts, rx7, s13, s14, s15, ae86
Old 03-13-2004, 08:29 PM   #13
nacho_nissan
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nacho_nissan Send a message via MSN to nacho_nissan Send a message via Yahoo to nacho_nissan

yeah, i meant to say VG, thanx for correcting me. but actually, the stock VQ35DE is stronger than the VG30DETT.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:36 PM   #14
shifter5888
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto7o2azn
its well balanced.... the best drifting cars are front engine, rwd cars... some examples are the skyline gts, rx7, s13, s14, s15, ae86
So by well balanced you mean a 50:50 weight ratio correct?

Also why is a front engine RWD car better for drifting compared to maybe a mid-rear engine AWD car, or another combination of these two characteristics? Basically, what is it that makes this combination ideal for drifting?

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons