Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
71 AVON
AF Newbie

Waking from it's nap!

Hello All,
A new nova guy here. I'm excited to join the ranks of those who have one of these lovely automobile in there possesion. I really got a steal. 1971 2DR 307/Unsure tranny with A/C, pretty much all stock, for the low low hundred dollars. But anyhow, She's been asleep since 1989, at least that's the last tag on it. I can't get it to run without pouring gas into the carb. The fuel pump is not catching up. I've swap out fuel pumps, poured about 5 gallons of fuel in the tank. It will run until the fuel runs out of the carb. Is there somethin in the tank, or a regulator or something that should be replaced.

Also, any idea as to what type of tranny came with this car. I hear some say power glide. I want to keep the car mostly original, except with the 307/5 speed manual tranny setup. Why doesn't anyone ever speak of building up the original 307? It would like for it be the sleeper 307 though, and it would be quiet unless it needed to be heard. I've been very pleased with sbc 283's, 307's, 327's 350's and 400's.

Re: Fuel problem and Tranny Type.
71 AVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
1993LUMINATOR
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to 1993LUMINATOR
Re: Waking from it's nap!

ok sir, the fuel problem WELL You have a MECHAICAL FUEL PUMP located at the side of the engine.
ALSO check your fuelline s down the passenger side you mayhave to yank your tank to check if the lines are clogges with deteriated fuel
l once had a car that sat 6-7years the fuel that was it had turned gummy and green and broakin down. it was horrible

just do this simple think, find your CARB BOWEL remove it cleanin if theres any varnish or general "shit" clean it out

another simple way is to dissconnect your fuel line at the carb have a can bucket ready Crank the motor if fuel comes spirting out of the line then your carb is clogged
BUT if nothing comes out well better get your gloves on and tool out your getting to the nity gritty and tracing down from the tank forward.

l will give you a simple reason why Nobody will "build" a 307ci V8 chevy motor
there Very rare Expensive and a Collectors item, bud watch out for theives these motors go for 3-5grand USED

if you need anyhelp PLEASE contact me

yours truely

Brad
1993LUMINATOR is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova