Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Alfa Romeo > 164
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-13-2001, 06:18 PM   #1
alfa1
AF Newbie

Well I get to be first at something.
What kind of Alfa do you have and where do you live?
I'm in Paraguay and I've got a 1995 164 Q4.

What do you think of Alfas planned return to the U.S and what should be the first model?I think they should start off with a new Spider(hopefully rwd)and also an affordable ass kicking sports sedan the successor to the 156.

[Edited by alfa1 on 01-13-2001 at 07:27 PM]
Old 03-11-2001, 06:22 PM   #2
autofan
AF Newbie

yes, a spider to build an image, and something good yet affordable.
But Nissan is doing both with the New Z
It's both, very cool and affordable.
autofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 06:57 PM   #3
alfa1
AF Newbie

True that.I am also a Nissan fan having owned a 1996 Sentra and a 1991 240sx se.I like the direction they are going and I consider them the more driver oriented Japanese brand but they are for better or worse not Alfa and don't have the long legacy or mystic that Alfa does.

I'm sure with a good dealer network in place the 156 would already be selling well.I can't wait for the 156 GTA to come out.It will be beautiful and come with the high performance to back it up.

Before they go to the U.S. Alfa needs to up the ponies in all their cars.Although 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are not what Alfas are about many Americans(unfortunately) buy cars based on these figures.
Old 05-22-2001, 10:11 AM   #4
i_rebel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to i_rebel
What kinds of things make these cars truly unique?

Are there any innovative technological features?

Are they known to be very safe cars?

Are they known to be very comfortable/reliable/fuel efficient?

What's special about an Alfa Romeo?

i_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 10:33 AM   #5
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
You really need to drop that bad boy quick. It's screaming for a drop.
Old 05-22-2001, 11:02 AM   #6
i_rebel
Banned

Send a message via AIM to i_rebel
Thumbs up

Yeah, I'd second that . . .
i_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 07:05 PM   #7
alfa1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by DVSNCYNIKL
You really need to drop that bad boy quick. It's screaming for a drop.
Can't do that,gotta drive the Mrs. and my 10 month old daughter around in it too.Just the other day at the supermarket I was backing out and the front end got caught on the curb and came half way off.That will cost me $15 to fix though because labor is so cheap here-its the parts that cost too much.

What's special about Alfas?Well they are true drivers cars that don't feel mass produced.There is a certain feel to them.

The steering in my 164 feels perfectly weighted.While it is heavy in the parking lot it feels solid at high speed.The 6 speed gearbox shifts quickly and smoothly.

Alfa has a very long and storied history.They have been through many years of tough times but they look to be on a huge comeback.

They look to once again be producing some very desirable cars.

Reliability has always seemed to be an issue with Alfa in the last 20 years but they aren't any less reliable than a BMW it's just that the dealer network truly sucks and should be priority one before they return to the U.S.
Old 07-15-2001, 03:22 PM   #8
jar
AF Newbie

got the t-shirt

Okay, let me try explaining what an alfa really is.

You get in an Alfa for the first time and everything seems different, unfamiliar. But you figure that you've gone this far so take it for a drive. You leave the parking lot and move out into traffic. Your attention gets drawn away from the car and onto your surroundings and driving.

About ten minutes later you realize that for the last eight minutes you haven't looked for anything. The gear shift, pedals, controls, everything just seems to be exactly where it should be. Suddenly you're not driving a new car, this is the one that was actually built just for you. It's like an old pair of shoes, or that t-shirt with the holes in it that you'll never throw away because it's just right.

Right now I'm Alfaless. But once I owned four at one time. I've had Gulias, Guliettas, GTVs, Berlinas and spyders beyond count. If Alfa comes back, and if they still make Alfas and not an Americanized car, I'll be there in line to buy one.
Old 07-25-2001, 03:45 PM   #9
1FST2M6
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to 1FST2M6 Send a message via AIM to 1FST2M6
i've got a 91 164L 5sp, Red/tan, full remus exhaust, 140k bout with 60k. have all the service recods.. and video of 4 people inthe car with the a/c on beating a mustang 5.0 (fox body) in the 1/4 at commerece raceway here in ga. 13.8. dyno graph at 193hp. 235lbft at the wheels.

i love this car.. but have to many toys and just wreck a motorcycle.. it needs to go.. $2500 kennesaw, ga.

seen many trips through deals gap and 6 sets of AVS Intermediates. on Good year HPs now.. still have the last set of AVSs if you'd like em... (noisey though but DAMN sticky)

and - jar - is right; the ergonomics are perfect...
Old 11-19-2002, 01:11 AM   #10
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
I don't have a 164, but a nice 156 2.5 :-d

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 09:36 AM   #11
Stefanel1
AF Enthusiast

I have a 156 1.6 TS. Of course, every American will be shocked by the low cc of my car, but it makes 120hp and 200kmh at max speed. That's good for this power and the size of the car (category Passat, Laguna, Stratus). Of course, there are more powerfull engines, the 2.0 and the fabulous V6 Alfa, well known. But it's expensive to insure, to buy and to "give drink" (gas is 4 times as expensive as in the US here).

Though, an Alfa, even with the "little" engines is a fabulous engine. With a particular "noise". Alfa are well designed, have an excellent handling.
The reliability of Alfa is good today (maybe not as much as Germans, Frenchs or Japaneses cars). And the price is correct (equivalent as VW for example.... with a real engine and a good handling !).
The built quality is today good, even if VW stays ahead of course.

Alfa in the USA : the 166, GTV and Spider are sold in North America today... under the name Autodelta. But Alfa Romeo is going to come back in the States before the end of the decade.
But be carefull : Alfas are not slow at all even if the biggest engine makes "only" 250hp... the Alfa 156 GTA, moreover the 147 GTA are real sport cars, with a terrible charm.
The funniest thing is that the Americans are the slowest drivers in the world, and they need the most powerfull cars !
A last thing, 200 Europeans HP are not 200 American HP... look at the performances !

Citroën C6 - Alfa Romeo 159
Stefanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:47 PM   #12
AtlantaGTP
AF Newbie

Re: Am I the first one?

Bonjour Stephane,
What's that Peugeot your showing? It's beautiful.
AtlantaGTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:48 PM   #13
AtlantaGTP
AF Newbie

I had a 164S. It was a beautiful car, but lots of problems. Some were minor and just a nuisance, but I also had two engines burned out because of low oil, which shouldn't happen on an Alfa.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:00 PM   #14
Stefanel1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Am I the first one?

Atlanta : the Peugeot on the right is the Coupé 406 appeared in 1997 and designed by Pininfarina. The one on the left is the new 407, available for few months.
I see in your profil that you've a Xsara, but I also see that you're living in the USA where Citroën is not any more available.... ??

A bientôt,
Michaël de Villebois

Citroën C6 - Alfa Romeo 159
Stefanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:04 PM   #15
AtlantaGTP
AF Newbie

Michel,
Oh... that's a 407? I can't wait to see it next time I'm in France. No, I don't know about the Xsara. I just put down whatever. I actually have a Pontiac. I've only driven an XM.
Amicalement de Atlanta...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Alfa Romeo > 164