Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 11:06 AM   #1
AstroRide44
AF Enthusiast

Muffler Weathering

do u guys have any tips of how to weather a muffler on a race car? any help would be great, thanks max
AstroRide44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 11:23 AM   #2
freakray
AF Modelrater

If you mean to create the heat stains you see on the mufflers and exhausts, here is a good tutorial:
http://www.tamiya.com/english/howto/bike1/tip1.htm
Old 10-20-2003, 01:42 AM   #3
DarchAngel
AF Newbie

Re: Muffler Weathering

Freakray's link is a good one. If you were looking to do something more along the lines of black streaky look, or even rust, just change the colour of the paint you use. The idea is to make a translucent paint so that you are colouring the part without changing the overall colour (does that make sense??? ). For instance, if you want dark streaky look, like brake dust on discs, you'd thin down some flat-black paint so that it is mostly water with a very slight tint (or just use Tamiya's smoke?) and brush it on to the areas you want to tint. This will darken the area but will blend well into the overall colour underneath. If you want rust, try thinning down a reddy brown, and using that instead. You could also drybrush some brown over silver - if you do it well it should blend okay as well.

Hope this helps

In progress: Tamiya 360 Spider
Waiting for me: Tamiya Honda NSX, Tamiya Honda S2000, Tamiya Ferrari Testarossa, Tamiya Ferrari F40, Tamiya Jag XJ220, Tamiya 350Z, Tamiya Porsche 911 GT2.
DarchAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:54 AM   #4
ShOrtyOC714
=p

Send a message via AIM to ShOrtyOC714
You mean a "Titanium Tip" Right? those kinds are crazy, there just a special kind of metal that is buffed out like crazy to give it that purple blueish look to them. I also want to know how to make some titanium tips.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:28 PM   #5
RalphCare
AF Enthusiast

Re: Muffler Weathering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty4859
You mean a "Titanium Tip" Right? those kinds are crazy, there just a special kind of metal that is buffed out like crazy to give it that purple blueish look to them. I also want to know how to make some titanium tips.
i would think that putting a light brush of chrome on the exhaust tip, then going over it with a blue permanent marker and buffing it off slowly will give u that blazed titanium purple look. then thin down some black paint and paint a bit where the titanium ends and it should look ok.
i might do this with my kpgc-10

on freakrays post, that is some nice example of how to do it. but i think the modeller over did it a bit with those colors or the amount he applied. i dont want my exhaust looking like it was made in Bozo the Clown instead of Borla.

NO, it aint my car in the sig, but i like it. so STFU - BIATCH!.

I need to make websites for a college portfolio for graphic/webdesign courses. please hit me up if u need a website and will make a really sweet deal. and my work is guaranteed.
RalphCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:41 PM   #6
DarchAngel
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Muffler Weathering

Yeah, but if u look at the stains on the real bikes, it aint that far a stretch; but I did think the same thing when I first saw it. It was like one of them bright caterpillers(sp?) had crawled up into the dudes bike!

Anyways, if u wanna make titanium tips, just mix up a blue\purple wash and off u go. Just make it about 20:1 thinner\water to paint.

In progress: Tamiya 360 Spider
Waiting for me: Tamiya Honda NSX, Tamiya Honda S2000, Tamiya Ferrari Testarossa, Tamiya Ferrari F40, Tamiya Jag XJ220, Tamiya 350Z, Tamiya Porsche 911 GT2.
DarchAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:11 PM   #7
nis.k.a.
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Muffler Weathering

I essentially did the same as Tamiya. Using transparent orange than blue over a metallic surface. I didn't thin mine so I had to cut and buff a little when dry but it does replicate a flame treated titanium exhaust tip.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling