Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Celica
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
daniel2020
AF Newbie

Headlamp assembly needed for '98 Celica

Hello people,
I have a 1998 Toyota Celica (see photo attached) with a flooded driver side inner headlamp (for high beams). Obviously it needs replacing, but the local garage wants to charge $424 (OEM parts and labor included). They said they couldn't find any used parts. I called up the local Toyota dealership and was told the part would be a "headlamp sub assembly type 1" and he could get it for $165, but I didn't get the labor price. Also he said he'd need the VIN # to order the correct part. The garage never asked for a VIN# and didn't say one was needed.

The obvious questions:
Does anyone know the name of the part that is needed?
Best place and price to find it?
Hard to install or should only a garage do it? I imagine they don't like people bringing their own parts, however.

Thanks for any and all help.

Daniel2020
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toyota_headlamp.jpg (48.9 KB, 1 views)
daniel2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: Headlamp assembly needed for '98 Celica

Search for Toyota parts in Google and have your VIN number handy to get the correct part. You may not need it, but it is a good idea. There are numerous dealers with that part.

You can easily install it yourself if you have some tools and are able to aim it. I use my garage door or an open field to aim the lights so that they are on the road and not in the air. Since you are installing high beams, you just need to get them on the road and a couple of hundred feet down the highway. Alternatively, if you get them installed by the dealer or other mechanic, they should aim them for you. Personally, I would bring the car to my body shop and have them do it. They will get the right part and do a good job of installing it.

The name the Toyota parts department gave you is correct. There are other names for it also, such as "headlight assembly high beam". There is a left and right side part number.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
daniel2020
AF Newbie

Re: Headlamp assembly needed for '98 Celica

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I found a garage (one I know well) that will do the job at a better price than the first garage I checked. The cost of the part was the same, so their labor is less.
daniel2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
assembly , beams , celica , headlamp , high
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Celica