Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
ace91
AF Regular

Hasegawa Honda NSR250 2001 (Daijiro Kato)

Hi guys,

It's been either 5 or 6 months since I last made a bike as I've lost motivation on making bikes when I couldn't complete the Honda RS250RW Team Scot and I tried to make the Repsol Honda RS250RW but as I've completed the engine, I kind of tidy up the work place on Chinese New Year which is somewhere in January I think as it was long ago. Since then, I didn't touch on the bike modelling.

Then, a hobby shop in my place is holding a gathering middle this month & I thought of showing some of my works to the folks there (though this shop specializes in selling Gundams and not much of Revell military air unit products & also, the guys in my place do not do bike nor car modelling). That was my motivation on trying to work on this bike.

But anyway, I placed the Repsol Honda RS250RW box on top of the cupboard & took the Honda NSR250 box, I started to work on it last week. Not too sure what are your opinion on my work so far but anyway, here are the photos of my work so far along with description. Man, looks like my opening remark is way too long.

The frame along with the engine attached. I used X-56 metallic grey as I used the same idea of making the RC211V back then. Not sure if it's correct or not. Feedback would be really appreciated. For both the frame & swing arm (photos below), I used TS-30 silver leaf. I primed them first then I sprayed them using the colour I've mentioned before.

Here are the photos of the swing arm & the tyres. I sprayed TS-14 on the wheels & I patch it up by using X-1 black to cover up the white parts where there's space & ain't easy to spray through the spaces especially I don't use the air spray devices. I had the same concern as the RS250RW previously when I was making this as I find the screw couldn't even reach to the other side of the swing arm (probably it was me after all). But then, I could screw the tyre to the other side of the swing arm. That was my happiest moment at that time & felt more motivated than ever.

The photos of the swing arm attached to the frame. Quite pleased that I could screw it to the other side.

This part here was a little pain here but somehow but still not convincing to me, when I was building the absorber spring & trying to attach it with the swing arm. Probably it was me as the alignment is a little off but I can placed it properly. For the exhaust I paint it with X-11. X-18 & X-31. I placed the decals on the exhaust early before the bike is completed as I could foresee that I would have some difficulty on placing decals with the parts being attached once the bike is completed.

This is as far as I have done. I would continue on working tomorrow as it's still a public holiday in my state here. Whee!

As I've said again, feedback would be very appreciated & thanks for viewing.

Adrian
ace91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Re: Hasegawa Honda NSR250 2001 (Daijiro Kato)

Adrian - looks like you're off to a good start - I think the exhaust is too "black" from my perspective - they don't look real but I could be wrong. the rest looks good - keep at it and keep posting pictures - I have also ordered one of these kits and the "Shell Advance" NSR250 also from HLJ - I will follow your thread - John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
ace91
AF Regular

Hi John, thanks for the reply.

I've started to do some work on the bike today. Not sure if it was me or what.... it's true that I didn't use the can for a few years & this is what I didn't expect when I was spraying the bottom fairing.

First & foremost, maybe I didn't shake hard enough or maybe it just burst like that. Also, here is my left hand that was caught in the malfunction as I tried to contain the burst at the tip. My right hand isn't as much compare to my left. Grrr.... so much for wanting to figure out whether to use bright red or fluorescent red. That was when I decide to use fluorescent red as I look around for the photos & there is a little bit of orange element on it if it's exposed by the light.

The bottom fairing which I wanted to spray with fluorescent red.... one side is dirty & one side is clean. Thanks to the can malfunction, this is what happened.

On the brighter side, here is the fairing which I used TS-51 for the fairing.

The front fork as kind of hard to do but then somehow I managed to put it up. At least I tried to clean up my finger using lighter fluid but still messy.

That'll be it for a while despite the spray can malfunction fiasco & now waiting for the bottom fairing to dry after I sprayed a few times. Grrrr!!!!

Adrian
Old 06-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Ace91 - sad to see you had the malfunction - one thing I do when I spray paint or primer whether it is from a can or through an airbrush - I always wear a pair of "nitrile" purple gloves - it's cheap and much better than washing your skin with something like lacquer thinner to get paint off. Many times I'm holding a part with my free hand and have a paint can or airbrush in the other and then I don't have to worry about getting paint on my hands. With respect to the malfunction - many times when you have a "used" can of paint or one that's old and has lost some pressure is to heat the can up in a bowl of "hot" water to raise the pressure inside the can so it sprays better when you push the nozzle. This technique prevents the paint from "spitting" out blobs - Hope that helps you a little - John
Old 06-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
ace91
AF Regular

Hi John,

Sorry for the late reply as I didn't do much of the work on it. I'll take note on the advice you gave me.

Unfortunately I have to say this, but then, this bike was damaged during the making. The damaged part is the gear chain which was damaged & the part where you have to place the rear brake wire is damaged. Didn't think it was that fragile. The photos are as below. When I look at the completed bike that I've made, even I tried hard (it has consumed too much time & my patience making this), the photos of my completed bike to me, just as good as Maisto brand (whereby the details ain't good) . But anyway, it takes experience to make a good one. I'll try to attempt on another Hasegawa kit that is Repsol Honda RS250RW which I just completed the engine part.

I'm not sure how to say this but this is just my opinion. What I noticed when I make this kit is, I think the screw can't hold onto the swing arm though I could screw it to the end. Cause whenever I tried to balance it, somehow it came off alignment & then I have to find the alignment again. Only if Hasegawa can learn a thing or two from Tamiya.

Here are the photos of the naked bike. I've tried to do what I can to follow the instruction sheet but somehow, the vinyl tube just can't hold it and it comes off that easily. The instruction sheet did mentioned about putting the green wire on the right throttle but then after at least half an hour or almost an hour of trying but to no avail, I gave up on it.

The completed bike. Gotta admit it's kind of embarrassing even to post them here but then, it'll be good to get opinion from you guys & tell me what to & what not. As I've said before, you'll notice few things are missing such as there's no wire for the rear brake, the gear chain is broken, and other parts are missing.

For the colour scheme, I used TS-51 for the blue colour scheme & I used XF-1 to paint the interior. At least the bottom fairing wasn't as bad as I would think despite the malfunction I had last weekend. I used Museum Collection sticker set for the Fortuna sponsor on the bike. If I know that Tabu Design has the sticker specially for the bike itself, then I wouldn't be ordering the Museum Collection version as it has decals for other bikes as well which I won't be using them.

Ain't convincing to me if you asked me. I've already lost some patience making this one as the problems are always quite constant & I have to do it over & over again especially the swing arm is always out of alignment despite I managed to screw it on the end as it was in the previous photos. *sigh*.

I'll do what I can for the Repsol Honda RS250RW. I know that success comes from series of failures & I hope for the best in making the kit above.

Adrian
Old 06-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Adrian -first thing -It is not that bad - the Hasegawa kits are not as refined as the Tamiya kits and it takes considerable skill to build a Hasegawa bike kit that everyone would praise. As for the chain - a drop of CA glue "super glue" wouldn't work? also when the small tubing will not stay on - I use a drop of CA glue there too. As for the finished build - it's not bad and at least you recognized that you learned something from building it. I believe each model I build is a "lesson in a box" and your skills will improve after building this one. My suggestion is to build a few Tamiya bike kits which are better quality -learn a few techniques and painting/decaling skills and then tackle a Hasegawa of Fujimi bike kit again - best of luck to you Adrian and don't be disapointed - I also recognize the short-comings of the Hasegawa and Fujimi kits. - John
Old 06-11-2012, 12:52 AM   #7
ace91
AF Regular

John - I was thinking of making one of the Fujimi's Kawasaki Trick Star Eva bike in future. What are the shortcoming of the kit? I've had a look at the scanned instruction sheet in www.1999.co.jp website, I didn't see any difficulty there by the look of it but I can't say that though as I haven't seen the kit yet.

I'll try those ways you mentioned on the RS250RW which I'll be finishing the engine soon. But hopefully, I can make something from there after trying to make 2 Hasegawa kits.

Before I attempted this kit, I had a look at Mie's work in his motomodeling blog & Kei's work on ks workshop blog to get some inspiration but of course I can't follow them since I know my limitation.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Adiran - the only limitation one has with model building is patience. In time skill can be developed, but patience is something you either have or you don't. I have found myself building several models at one time. I will come to a spot where I have difficulty and I will go on to another kit and work on it while thinking of solutions to the problems I had with the previous kit. Right now I'm working on 3 LeMans kits for this years Lemans race later this month. I'm building the 06' GT2 Corvette #64 - the 11' "Flying Lizard Porsche 911RSR GT3 #80 and the Ferrari 458 GT3. They are all in various stages of the building process as I'm working out the different problems I have. As for the Fujimi ZX10 TrickStar kits - I have 3 of them - the 2010 #1 ZX10 and both 2011 #1 & #2 - there are 2 others I don't have #2 and #00 from 2010. I have looked at both 2010 and 2011 kits and they are not the same - they use the same engine/wheels/brakes sprue but all the frame-body work-swingarm-tank- etc are different. they are the same quality of parts but completely different in shape and design. The down side is that they are not Tamiya quality for a racing bike kit, but one good thing is Johnson at Top Studio has come out with a detail kit for the 2010 ZX10 kit that costs about $55 usd. That along with some other bits from Top studio should build a nice finished product, but it will require patience. PM me if you want to discuss more about the kits as I have them on hand and I can look at them as we discuss and tell you what I think - John
Old 06-11-2012, 02:24 AM   #9
phillipshaw
AF Newbie

job well done! nice work.

― Robert Frost
phillipshaw is offline   Reply With Quote