Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:58 AM   #1
monr2773
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to monr2773
'04 Chevy Malibu front end thumping noise

I have an '04 Malibu. Its got around 85000 miles on it. Recently it starting making noises in the front end on both sides. I replaced the hub assemblies and tires. But still its making a thumping noise on the front drivers side. It feels like its coming from in front of the peddles on the floor. Its a steady thumping noise. I have taken it to 3 different places and no one can tell me whats going on. Please help anyone. it's driving me crazy.
monr2773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:14 AM   #2
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Re: '04 Chevy Malibu front end thumping noise

did they check the rack? could be a strut,motor mount,exaust,brake caluper,could be alot of things did you take it to a dealer?
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
monr2773
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to monr2773

I didn't take it to a dealer. they were wanting to charge a lot just to look at it. the strut is making a noise when i press down on that side of the car but i thought it might be the inner cv. ? i'm not sure. i also thought something might be loose.
monr2773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
Scrapper
AF Premium User

inner c.v.don't cause you probems it's outer most of the time i'm not saying it cant be the inner.but check bottom bolts on strut and also could be upper bearing plate on strut also the strut could be dry.
also inspect the spring around strut...
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
HyperFox
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to HyperFox

Classic case.. Your rack will need to be replaced, and your intermediate steering shaft. Dont wait for it.. About a grand in parts alone.
HyperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:29 AM   #6
Negatoro
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Negatoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperFox
About a grand in parts alone.

Hit the junkyard!!
Negatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:32 AM   #7
wpbharry
AF Regular

We discussed this subject at length in another thread (about 6 months ago, I think), so search through older threads for more advice. Most racks and shafts are going anywhere from 10K - 30K miles, so I'm VERY surprised that this issue is just now cropping up. Unless you bought it used and it's already been done once or twice or...The fix makes things better, but the noise is still there, albeit more subdued. Not likely many of the fixed racks have hit the junkyard yet.
wpbharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
slls
AF Regular

I would look some more before I changed the rack, guessing can cost a lot.
slls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
HyperFox
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to HyperFox

I'd pretty much bet money on it.. But we'll see.. I know with the intermediate steering shaft, it was an outsourced part for gm. They didnt pack enough grease into it, and the part fails.. Now with the rack, it can be a variety of different things within the rack. A failure within the power steering system is pretty obvious.. Ding ding ding.. Power steering on the radio, then a gradual loss of power. This was caused by too much grease on the brushes and it would cause the system to shut down, or wiggle by itself.

Other guesses.. Maybe a tie-rod end, or a ball joint, id also check out the strut bearings too just to be sure. Nothing will make you more angry then paying your good money to replace a part that isnt broken in the first place.
HyperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:39 AM   #10
wpbharry
AF Regular

The problem with the intermediate steering shaft (which caused a steering system failure) only affected vehicles produced before 3/04 (check the label on the driver's door jamb for date of build). The problem with the rack affects all '04 and '05s. Maybe '06s and '07s too. Time will tell.

And don't let anyone tell you that the fix is to tighten the strut towers. Been there, done that. It only was a lame attempt by my dealer to stall for time while GM was actually figuring out the fix. Which isn't a permanent fix, as it turns out. I don't think there really is one, TBH.
wpbharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
kkoorndyk
AF Newbie

I have an 2004 Malibu LT. I'm hearing/feeling a clunk that appears to be coming from the front end when turning, but only when I hit a bump or dip in the road while turning. It comes from the outside wheel of the turn. It only happens some of the time and I have not been able to repeat it. It almost feels like something is loose.

Does that sound familiar to anyone?

It had done something like this before when the car was still under warranty and the dealer replaced something. I can't find the sheet from that and can't remember what it was though. I vaguely remember a boot seal or something.

Anyone have any suggestions?
kkoorndyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
slls
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperFox View Post
Classic case.. Your rack will need to be replaced, and your intermediate steering shaft. Dont wait for it.. About a grand in parts alone.
Bought one this spring. It's called a gear, P/n 25902150 $285.09 list. I got a discount, paid $213.82. Took me about 3 hours to do the job, first time.
I just lube the intermediate shaft.
slls is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu