Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
jonnik
AF Regular

'04 Classic tranny fill/level plug

Well, it's time to service my transmission ('04 Classic) and just want to be sure about the location of the plug. I can see a plug directly below the exhaust manifold that unscrews towards the passenger side fender well. Is this the correct plug? Do I have to access the plug form underneath the car? Any help is greatly appreciated (pictures would be AWESOME!). I'm sure that this has been covered in the forums before, but sometimes my 1/2 k of memory has trouble kicking in. Thanks in advance.
jonnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
slls
AF Regular

Re: '04 Classic tranny fill/level plug

Start the engine and allow the engine to idle until the transmission fluid temperature has reached the value specified. Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each range. Return the shift lever to the PARK range. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. The vehicle must be level, with the engine running and the shift lever in the PARK range. CautionThe engine must be running when the transmission fluid fill plug is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Transmission fluid may be hot. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fill plug. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid. Do not turn the engine off with the fill plug removed, as you can be injured by hot transmission fluid being expelled out of the oil fill opening.
Remove the transmission plug.
Important
Transmission fluid (At least 104°F) 5-10 minutes at idle will give correct temp.
Does the fluid have a burnt odor or a dark brown color?Check the fluid level. The fluid level should be even with the bottom of the threaded plug hole.Is the fluid level low?
Add DEXRONŽ VI automatic transmission fluid in increments of 0.5L until the fluid drains from the plug hole.
Install plug before stopping engine or fluid will spill out of plug hole.
Pan drop and filter change 7.5 qts
Check plug is just to the right of the passenger side axle housing , 11 mm plug, can't miss it, only one there.
Hoist is optional, just needs to be level and plug accessible.
slls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
jonnik
AF Regular

Thank you so much for your response, slls!
jonnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
slls
AF Regular

Your welcome
slls is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu