Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 02:16 AM   #1
patarusky
AF Newbie

"Service engine soon" light won't go off

Heads up experts- 2001 Malibu- 3.1 of course. When I start this jewel of the nile, Everything's fine. Put it in gear, still fine. Drive 10 feet, "service engine soon" light comes on. NOT CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. Hooked up my little auto xray scanner. No codes found. Hit reset anyway. No change. I've been told that some codes in these chevys are a "b" class code. Not serious enough to turn on the check engine light but enough to trigger the service light. Is there a different plug for transmission diagnostics? I know that Kias have a second plug under the hood for more detailed testing but I don't know about Chevy. I do think it's tranny related since I can start the car, put it in any gear ,even reverse, and no problem till it moves. And of course it runs just fine. Tried the battery disconnect to clear it but nothing changed. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance.
patarusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 04:07 AM   #2
GMMerlin
I know stuff

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by patarusky
Heads up experts- 2001 Malibu- 3.1 of course. When I start this jewel of the nile, Everything's fine. Put it in gear, still fine. Drive 10 feet, "service engine soon" light comes on. NOT CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. Hooked up my little auto xray scanner. No codes found. Hit reset anyway. No change. I've been told that some codes in these chevys are a "b" class code. Not serious enough to turn on the check engine light but enough to trigger the service light. Is there a different plug for transmission diagnostics? I know that Kias have a second plug under the hood for more detailed testing but I don't know about Chevy. I do think it's tranny related since I can start the car, put it in any gear ,even reverse, and no problem till it moves. And of course it runs just fine. Tried the battery disconnect to clear it but nothing changed. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance.
There are 2 warnings you could have "Service Engine Soon" or "Service Vehicle Soon"
The SES light is also the "Check Engine Light" and if that light comes on you should get a code.
What you may be seeing is the SVS light..this light has nothing to do with the emission system, but has to do with the DRLs and headlamps
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:26 PM   #3
LancerZero
AF Newbie

Have you checked your coolant? You're describing the behavior of my 'Bu just as she was sucking the overflow tank dry.
2007 Toyota Yaris 3d: (82k) 3-10-11
LancerZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 07:13 PM   #4
tom3
AF Enthusiast

Re: "Service engine soon" light won't go off

Wondering if it might be pointing to the ABS system? Usually after moving a few feet the system will pressure up, maybe a problem with this? Time for trip to the dealer, and a second mortgage to pay for it.
tom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #5
JTrujillo86
AF Enthusiast

Re: "Service engine soon" light won't go off

You probably have a daytime running light out. I had a 97 Malibu and the Service VEHICLE Soon light came on just for that.

Jeremy
JTrujillo86 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu