Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 07:49 PM   #1
Kasso
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kasso Send a message via MSN to Kasso Send a message via Yahoo to Kasso
Micro Sol

on a trip to the hobby store, i purchased some Micro Sol just in case i needed it in the future. so, on the way home, i read that micro sol is a 2 part process in combination with Micro Set. is micro set really required? or can i do without it?

1995 Acura Integra Special Edition (something real special about a 5000 rpm changeover... )
Kasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 07:53 PM   #2
Asmenoth
AF Premium User

You can...I have used one without the other before (usually the Micro Sol). Usually you would brush Micro Set onto the model where the decal goes, then use the Micro Sol.

No Officer, the speedometer only goes up to 85.
Asmenoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 11:49 PM   #3
Kasso
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kasso Send a message via MSN to Kasso Send a message via Yahoo to Kasso
Re: Micro Sol

alright thanks. so the decals wont mess up right?

1995 Acura Integra Special Edition (something real special about a 5000 rpm changeover... )
Old 10-19-2003, 01:03 AM   #4
SteveK2003
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SteveK2003 Send a message via Yahoo to SteveK2003
From www.internettrains.com

Micro Set:
Micro Set is a very versatile decal setting solution that does several things to the Microscale Decals to improve application. Micro Set should be applied to the surface of the model where you will be sliding off the decal. Micro Set prepares the surface with special wetting agents that cuts the oils in new paint and converts the adhesive on the back of the decal to a stronger and more lasting one. And finally, Micro Set slightly softens the decals film to make it more flexible so that it can conform better to the model's surface. Better adhesion by the decal to the model prevents tiny air bells from occurring and results in an invisible carrier film or the so called 'painted on look'.

Micro Sol:
Micro Sol setting solution is for the most difficult irregular surfaces you find on models. It completely softens the Microscale Decal allowing it to drape down onto the surface of the model conforming perfectly and without distortion. You can get the most amazing results in seemingly impossible places, because Micro Sol actually makes the decal part of the paint. For that reason you should coat Micro Sol on for only a few seconds and then leave it alone, it does the work. Do not touch until dry as the decal is very soft at this stage and could be easily damaged.

So according to that, you brush Micro Set onto the car first and then apply the decal, and after it's set in place you apply a little Micro Sol to permanantly set it.

I read once that applying setting solution after the decals dried helped remove some 'silvering' that occurred but I forget if they mentioned which they used. If I come across the article in the next day or two I'll post it here.
SteveK2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 01:06 AM   #5
Asmenoth
AF Premium User

They shouldn't , but it is suggested to test out the Micro Sol on an old left over decal from the same company. Keep in mind, decals from one company are not always produced by the same company. But not using Micro Set with Micro Sol will not mess up the decal (in my experiance anyway). If the decal get messed up, it would have done it anyway even with the use of Micro Set. Heck, some decals don't react at all to Micro Sol...sometimes too thick.

No Officer, the speedometer only goes up to 85.
Asmenoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 04:35 AM   #6
michael1978
AF Regular

One Question where can i find Micro sol or Micro Set i never see it in some Hobbystores ???
michael1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 06:08 AM   #7
chrismcgee
WWW.ELITESCALECARS.CO.UK

i have used mirosol loads, and have never even used microset. Its great.
Use a soft brush and keep applyingnit, leave for 20 seconds,then apply more and gently push into shape. i thoroughly recommend it

WWW.ELITESCALECARS.CO.UK
chrismcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 07:37 AM   #8
scaleracecars
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1978
One Question where can i find Micro sol or Micro Set i never see it in some Hobbystores ???
Scale Race Cars
scaleracecars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 04:33 PM   #9
nis.k.a.
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Micro Sol

I prefer using the 2 parts step instead of just the Sol. In fact some cases I use Set only with perfect results. On very small decals the Sol is sometimes too strong causing the decal to wrinkle. Of course a Qtip and some quick hands will solve that but I still prefer the setting of the Set.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:27 AM   #10
dag65
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to dag65
I use bith, sometimes seperatlet. Heres a little tip to get it to conform to highly irregular surfaces. Once applied use an old hairdyer on it , this really helps the decal to suck down to the model, used in conjustion with a soft brush or Qtip you can get some great results
dag65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 01:46 PM   #11
Kasso
AF Enthusiast

thanks for the tips guys. i would have bought the micro set. its just that i didnt know its a 2 step process. and the only store that i know that carries it is about an hour away from where i live. ill just buy it when i go there again.

Old 10-20-2003, 03:31 PM   #12
MrHappy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to MrHappy
Its great stuff
I use both set and sol sometimes together sometimes on their own.
But just a small word of advice...
Once you've brushed micro sol on and left it for a few seconds don't, don't, (Really I mean it) don't touch it!
No matter how bad it looks!!
First time I used it on some Tamiya Decals everything wrinkled up (the decal that is ). So, just a bit unhappy I put everything down and went for a beer..
3 hours and a few beers later I came back to the decal (now dry) and it looked like it had been painted on. Super smooth with all the details (door handles etc) from the car showing through.
Perfect!!

Not sure if the beer is an important part of the process though...
MrHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling