Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Fiberglassing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Fiberglassing Fiberglasssing explained and the proper techniques on working on a fiberglass project.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
poisonouslead
AF Newbie

vacuum bagging help

i'm somewhat new to fiberglassing and the concept of vacuum bagging is begining to intrigue me as i get better at mold construction. most of the stuff i've made at this point are small interior pieces for the FC3s (second gen) rx-7 that typically break because they are made of very low grade brittle plastic. i was wondering what kind of vacuum bag set-up that the more experienced people here would reccomend? equipment and if possible diagrams or a more clear explanation than the composite book i picked up off of aircraft spruce (basic composites by zepp) could give. namely how to adapt an air compressor to do the work, and what material the mold should be made out of to withstand the forces applied by the vacuum (upwards of 800psi, is what zepp says is exerted under only 4 psi of vacuum). i would like to move up to bigger peices as i go but for right now i'm taking baby steps. i could also use a little help on what release agents or materials you would reccomend for use with a primered (i don't want my molds to degrade from UV exposure) female mold. also any wetting techniques that you guys have found to be the most effective would be apreciated too (keep in mind i use female molds for a lot of peices please)
poisonouslead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:28 AM   #2
biggbabysweetz1
AF Regular

Re: vacuum bagging help

i dont know a damn thing about vaccum bagging, though from what i can tell they make better looking finished pieces BUT you can get vaccum pumps that run off of air compressors, if youve got a northern tool & equipment in your area you can find them there or check out tractor supply company. alternatively you can get an electric vacuum pump as well.

4PSI exerts less than 1 bar so you may consider upping the pressure to around 60 PSI which is around 4-5 bar

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Fiberglassing