Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Continental
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
TheWampusCat
AF Newbie

94 Lincoln Continental: Lights won't turn off

I've got a 94 Lincoln Continental. This morning I went out in it and shortly thereafter could smell something burning, like someone had struck a match. When I got home I could turn off the headlights, but the parking lights and tail lights wouldn't turn off. I've had to disconnect the battery cable.

This is such a strange problem. I appreciate any help anyone can give on fixing it.
TheWampusCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Re: 94 Lincoln Continental: Lights won't turn off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWampusCat View Post
This is such a strange problem. I appreciate any help anyone can give on fixing it.
Check to relays under the hood first.. their in the master Power Distribution Box, the box cover shows a connector map.

After that, the headlight switch itself would be the next bet. You can get a 1994 FSM from my homepage if you like.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
TheWampusCat
AF Newbie

Thanks for pointing those out to me. I'll check that stuff out, but I'll have to wait a day or two when the weather is better.

What exactly do I look for? Just anything that looks burnt or fused? I don't have any high tech stuff or anything. No fancy meters or gizmos to hook into anything to test with.

I'll post my findings when I've had a chance to look at it.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Towncar
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWampusCat View Post
.....What exactly do I look for? Just anything that looks burnt or fused? I don't have any high tech stuff or anything.....
Check to see if a previous owner bypassed a master fuse, breaker or relay. Something amiss would be really obvious. Also, pulling the right breaker or relay is easier than disconnecting the battery for now..

I don't recall if a stuck relay would be the cause in 1994.. check that out too. Their all inside the power distribution box. Relays are inexpensive, I carry spares.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
TheWampusCat
AF Newbie

I've looked inside the power relay box everything seems to be in order. I went to the fuse box and pulled the no. 4 fuse and the lights went off. However, the tail lights won't work with that fuse out. That's strange because according to the manual that fuse doesn't even control the break lights. The car also ran rough with that fuse gone so I put it back in. I could try to replace the light switch next. I'm pulling the high current fuse in the relay box to turn out the lights for now. It's easier than pulling out the toolbox and removing the battery cable. I'll post something once I get to do some work with that headlight switch.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
TheWampusCat
AF Newbie

Update.

I've gotten rid of the car recently. The pneumatic shocks gave out on it and it was cheaper in the long run to just get rid of it and get another car that was in better condition than to try and repair everything that was wrong on that Lincoln.

Thanks for the help, Towncar. The problem seemed to sort itself out and I could turn the lights off again. Wierd. I never got around to looking at that switch though. More pressing things got in the way. Thanks for the help nonetheless.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
Cynthia225
AF Newbie

Greetings and How are you today? I would like you to permit me to apply through this medium for your co-operation and to secure an opportunity to invest and do joint relationship and business with you. There are two basic things I would like you assist me I have decided to invest in your country or any country you demand right in (Hotel Industries or Real Estate) I would like you assist with the enquiries there in your country. My private email address is: cynthvvwilliams@gmail.com
Cynthia225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
Cynthia225
AF Newbie

Greetings and How are you today? I would like you to permit me to apply through this medium for your co-operation and to secure an opportunity to invest and do joint relationship and business with you. There are two basic things I would like you assist me I have decided to invest in your country or any country you demand right in (Hotel Industries or Real Estate) I would like you assist with the enquiries there in your country. My private email address is: cynthvvwilliams@gmail.com
Cynthia225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
Ronpire
AF Newbie

I too have the same problem with my 94 Continental. The parking lights and tail lights used to stay on so dim that you could not see them, and they would drain the battery. Now they stay on full strength and I have to pull the fuse. I noticed that when this began, my keyless entry key pad on the door quit working and so did my interior light door switches and lighted key hole. My interior lights still work from the dash switch. I believe my problem is with the keyless entry control module but I do not know where this is located. This module IS connected to all of the affected equipment.
Ronpire is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
94 lincoln continental , headlights , won't turn off
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Continental