Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 02:04 PM   #1
Tamiyaman
AF Newbie

Tamiya Metalic Black

Before I go spraying it on my Tamiya King Hauler I just wanted to get some opinions of it. Does it look nice or should I just go with plain black?

From what I have read you guys say to spray a clear coat over the metalic paint then polish and wax. What brand of clear coat should I use? What happens when you try to polish just the metalic paint?
Tamiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
DukeMan
AF Enthusiast

I personally have no experience of that particular paint but I´ve seen it on a lot of models and I think it´s a killer! You cannot polish OR wet-sand a metallic paint because it would ruin the metallic effect, you would just rub away all the "flakes" in the paint and that you don´t want to do. So remember, NEVER EVER polish or sand a metallic paint before a clearcoat. As for a good clearcoat I think you should use Tamiya´s TS-13 but be careful if you are to overcoat decals with it.
Please read the FAQ and "How-to´s" for further information.

Happy painting!

Current Projects:
-´70 Camaro Z28 (Baldwin Motion hood wanted!!!)
-´32 Ford Roadster (on hold)

´69 Camaro thread
DukeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:36 PM   #3
The Lambrusco Kid
AF Premium User

If you're going to polish it anyway, you can't go wrong with Tamiya clear, It's great once polished, but I was never able to get a good finish without polishing it after.

I tried to polish over metallic paint once and the result was that I had to repaint the whole thing over again, it didn't worked because the metal flakes were scratching the surface.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Click banner to view thread

The Lambrusco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:37 PM   #4
proosen
AF Enthusiast

Re: Tamiya Metalic Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiyaman
Before I go spraying it on my Tamiya King Hauler I just wanted to get some opinions of it. Does it look nice or should I just go with plain black?

From what I have read you guys say to spray a clear coat over the metalic paint then polish and wax. What brand of clear coat should I use? What happens when you try to polish just the metalic paint?
Like already stated you have to use clear on top of metallic's to get that deep shine. Tamiya's black metallic is a fabulous colour, it has a pearl-effect that sparcles in different colours just like the pearl white. I have it on a Enzo that still has to be finished.
If you want a really black paint this isn't what to use because it gets more like a really dark grey instead of pure black. Take care not to put on the clear to fast, leave the paint job for at least one full week before applying the clear to be on the safe side.
I have done it in just two days on a hood, but that was because I was in a hurry getting a present ready in time, worked out that time. But you can end up with a ruined paint job if you rush it to much.

Good Luck!
Niclas
proosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 04:57 PM   #5
Tamiyaman
AF Newbie

Thanks for all your suggestions. I tried some on some scrap and like proosen said it looks like a dark grey. Nice, but not what I wanted so I will just stick to regular old black.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:55 PM   #6
Okiemodelbuilder
AF Regular

Re: Re: Tamiya Metalic Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamiyaman
Thanks for all your suggestions. I tried some on some scrap and like proosen said it looks like a dark grey. Nice, but not what I wanted so I will just stick to regular old black.
It isn't a dark grey, it's black metallic. Here are a couple of pics of my '69 Charger 500 I shot in Tamiya metallic black with Tamiya TS-13 clear over it.

This last pic is a close up under direct lighting. It looks dark grey here but any other time it is indeed black. I would paint your model with it, but you must shoot clear over it for the gloss. All Tamiya TS metallic, mica and pearls must be clearcoated to get the gloss.

Hope this helps. This is one of my favorite colors and I will use it again.
Marc

...the pro touring experts
Okiemodelbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:29 PM   #7
Tamiyaman
AF Newbie

Sorry, under the light it looks dark grey. Car looks nice though.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling