Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
Talon69
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Talon69 Send a message via MSN to Talon69 Send a message via Yahoo to Talon69
Question 2003 Grand am GT instrument cluster has serious issues!!

I have a 2003 Grand am GT and the instrument cluster is doing some really messed up things. its hard to explain what its doing, when you start the car up the instrument cluster starts acting up almost immediately, lights coming on and off, needles will stop working and then bounce to max. As you start driving it continues to do it, at times all the gauges stop working, then the speedo and rpm gauge will work, but the temp and gas gauge will not, then sometimes the temp and gas gauge start working. I have had the entire cluster have every warning light come on then within seconds all go back out. This all started about 3 weeks ago and has not stopped since. Everything in the car seems to work normal. Could the cluster be going bad and shorting out?
2006 Eclipse GT 6 speed MT (V6 3.8), mods so far- S Tech Springs, after market 18's, 2012 headlight Conversion, Greddy cat back exhaust, CAI, RRE Headers, Polyurethane Motor Mounts, NX Nitrous kit at 100 shot for now, RPM Window Switch, Triple Pod.
2003 Grand AM GT - official beater car for the winter lol
----------------------------------------------------
95 TSI AWD 13.732@98.396mph (T-25)
Now fully Modded engine with 3,560 miles on it.SOLD
Talon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2003 Grand am GT instrument cluster has serious issues!!

Is alternator ok? Battery cables clean/tight?

Could be a bad connection at the cluster or a bad cluster.....

Check for IPC codes?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
Talon69
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Talon69 Send a message via MSN to Talon69 Send a message via Yahoo to Talon69

Yes i had the Alt checked the other day after i installed a brand new battery due to my other battery dieing and not starting my car in the morning (was old anyways). Battery terminals are super clean as well.

Could it even be possible for the connection at the cluster to be loose or cluster bad? Possibly the BCM bad?
2006 Eclipse GT 6 speed MT (V6 3.8), mods so far- S Tech Springs, after market 18's, 2012 headlight Conversion, Greddy cat back exhaust, CAI, RRE Headers, Polyurethane Motor Mounts, NX Nitrous kit at 100 shot for now, RPM Window Switch, Triple Pod.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
Talon69
AF Enthusiast

as i drive sometimes the chime will go off and ding for about 30 seconds then go off, maybe leaning towards the bcm causing all my issues? would a bad cluster cause the chime to go off? i do notice tho when my gauges go crazy once in a while when the gas gauge goes to empty the chime will ding.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

If your gas gage goes to empty, this will cause the chime to go off......

Unfortunately, you need a scan tool tool, like a GM Tech II, to check for BCM., IPC, and COM codes....and to do proper diagnostics, you need the trouble trees for the codes found....
Old 01-15-2015, 06:05 PM   #6
Talon69
AF Enthusiast

the chime will not go off everytime, only once in a while, lights on the dash keep randomly coming on and off, the gauges fluctuate all over the place at times. Sometimes lately when i been starting the car, nothing on the dash works at all, no lights. Not even the lights for the mileage. I drive it like that to see if they turn on and they dont, but once i shut the car off and restart the cluster starts to work again but with the same symptoms i been having.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #7
Tech II
AF Fanatic

When the cluster is working ok, does it act up if you bang the I/P pad above it?
Old 01-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #8
Talon69
AF Enthusiast

the cluster has never worked fine for about 2 months now, gauges are always acting up every now and again, the lights are always going on and off, that never stops, sometimes every one of them will come on at the same time then go back off, and then come on one at a time taking turns on which will come on lol. But to your question, i have tried banging the dash the cluster under the steering wheel, jiggling the key in the ignition. Nothing effects it at all or do i see any changes in what the dash is doing

Last edited by Talon69; 01-16-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:30 PM   #9
renownedd
AF Newbie

I have same issue, please help ive looked everywhere I even took it to a shop and paid 180 bucks to have it be fixed for a month or two to have it just come right back.

1st abs, svs and trac off light come on when you turn the wheel, turning the wheel is the only thing that triggers the abs, svs and trac lights to come on.

additionally after that or before the instrument cluster goes haywire, everytime is it different but most of the time it chimes and then all the gauges die and my seat belt is indicated as not being buckled when it is, brake, air bag, security, svs, abs, trac off and something else come on. Then they go out then back on, then maybe the a gauge or two will come back a read normal then go out again.

I have replaced both abs wheel speed sensor bearing. I paid a shop to re wire the passenger abs because they said it was surging and not connecting right and that was causing the dash to then loose power. So they fixed that and it was all fine and dandy until a month ago I turn into my drive way and the abs, trac off and svs light comes on. then about a week or two later as im driving 80mph down the high way my whole entire cluster goes out as described above.

my next step it so replace the cluster, then if that doesnt work maybe the bcm then if that doesnt work try and find another short somewhere that is surging like it was initially which i think is the problem cause when i had this fixed at the shop, I took it home and about a day or 2 later the lights come back on so its like the shop didnt even fix anything the same problem i had fixed is no the same problem i have now, but the guy at the shop of course says his work is still there and is working and he says it is the cluster, but the cluster does not malfunction unless the abs system looses connection.

I live in a bad city and all the people here a low life trash trying to skrew over everyone so i feel like this shop just played the shit out of me, put some ductape on it or just a band aid to get a quick temporary fix to make some money knowing I would eventually come back.

please proffesional useful advice only I dont have time for useless nonsense that is just going to make the problem worse or doesnt have anything to do with the issue at hand. It is obviously 100% electrical and the gm models have been recalled for the ignition switches, any body think the ignition switch may be causes the problems?
renownedd is online now Report Post
renownedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #10
Talon69
AF Enthusiast

Yeah i still have not figured mine out. 5 days ago the gauges stopped working period. When you start the car, they will go all the way up, then all of them will go back to the lowest setting and not move again until you turn the car back off and restart it to do the same thing again. All the warning lights still go on and off as they please along with the seat belt buzzer and crap, the mileage does not even move anymore on the cluster. Been stuck on the same mileage now for 5 days. I may also try another cluster and if that does not work, my last resort is the BCM since i have already tried a different ECU.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:03 AM   #11
renownedd
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon69 View Post
Yeah i still have not figured mine out. 5 days ago the gauges stopped working period. When you start the car, they will go all the way up, then all of them will go back to the lowest setting and not move again until you turn the car back off and restart it to do the same thing again. All the warning lights still go on and off as they please along with the seat belt buzzer and crap, the mileage does not even move anymore on the cluster. Been stuck on the same mileage now for 5 days. I may also try another cluster and if that does not work, my last resort is the BCM since i have already tried a different ECU.
I was going to change my cluster but never did, I definitely think mine is electrical related once I had the abs wire harness replaced that was causing the abs svs and trac off lights to come on the cluster has barely acted up since and when it does I just hit the top of the dash above the cluster about right in the center it starts working again like normal so it definitely to me in my situation seems to be a short in a wire or a bad ground some where maybe even the plug that connects to the harness its self, it is a pain in the A to get the cluster out and you have to be very careful not to set off the airbag, the BCM is a good next step thats what I was going to do. The mileage also stopped turning on mine for a few days when it was acting up. If your going to get a replacement cluster I would check ebay the only hard thing is going to be finding a cluster with the same mileage you currently have or at least one thats within a few thousand.
renownedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #12
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

sounds like a bad ignition switch. or if the factory radio has been removed and wired wrong, this can also cause similar issues.

you really need to scan for codes though to be sure. you can guess and week long and waste time and money on things that dont need replaced.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM