Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Exterior | bodykits | Lighting
Exterior | bodykits | Lighting When your ready to showoff that 'H' ride, here's your forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 08:48 PM   #61
locusto03
AF Newbie

Thanks a lot for the pics guys...

I've actually been thinking that it isn't worth it (to me, at least) to cough out another $60+ for some PIAA bulbs when I can pay a little more and get a fog/driving light set.
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to be posting in, but I just wanna get an opinion from those of you who have either Silverstars and/or PIAA's...
I've been looking at these...
http://piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/2100xt.html
... and am wondering if you guys think they would be a good buy.
Why or why not?
What other products would you recommend?
I'm looking to spend about $150 MAX.
Also, I have noticed that they come in either fog lights or driving lights.
I live in L.A. and never go offroad or anything like that... just normal city and freeway driving.
Would you guys recommend using the fog lights for a wider beam pattern, or getting the driving lights in conjunction with my low beams to see farther?
Thanks.
locusto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 06:33 AM   #62
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Re: aftermarket bulbs:color temperature and usable light output

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusto03

I've actually been thinking that it isn't worth it (to me, at least) to cough out another $60+ for some PIAA bulbs when I can pay a little more and get a fog/driving light set.
Sorry if this is the wrong thread to be posting in, but I just wanna get an opinion from those of you who have either Silverstars and/or PIAA's...
Why or why not?
I live in L.A. and never go offroad or anything like that... just normal city and freeway driving.
Would you guys recommend using the fog lights for a wider beam pattern, or getting the driving lights in conjunction with my low beams to see farther?
Thanks.
As you know, a driving light provides a narrower beam that travels further out forward. A fog light has a more wide-angled beam but it doesn't go out as far. They help you see better in different ways. I personally think that for standard street city driving the driving light beam pattern would be best seeing as you are looking to see further ahead straight. Use these in conjuction with your low beams.

A good set of foglights/driving lights like PIAA should help you a lot. The qaulity bulbs and the auxillery beam pattern should help you see better.

These are more than $150 (like $250-$299), but I thought I'd throw them out there for kicks. These are a true HID driving light and are 100% street legel, so check it out. Sylvania Xenarc HID driving lights (Xenarc X1010 Kit). However, your PIAA forlights WILL look better than the crap in their example they use as the before.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...xiliaryLights/

for comparitve purposes, here is a link to PIAA HID fogs (again way over the $150 limit, throwing them out there for comparitve purposes).

http://piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/2100hid.html

Anyways, you don 't need these, I thought I'd throw em out there just for fun. A good set of PIAA driving/fog lights should do with trick. I know PIAA's Super Plasma and Extreme White bulbs do throw out PLENTY of light, so I imagine it wouldn't be different in the fog/dirivng lights (thought he beam pattern of course changes dependig on which beam pattern you choose). Something you showed should help as an auxliery low beam driving light, and is within your $150 range. PIAA also has HID driving and fog lights, but like the sylvania xenarc, they are out of the price range. That, of course, is the purpose of this thread....good HALOGEN LIGHTING. PIAA lights combined with a good housing is a good combo for auxilery low-beam driving lights. Also, when you replace the bulbs eventually (when they eventaulyl burn out after a long while, or if you get sick of them), you can later on swap out the PIAA Extreme White H3 for the PIAA Super Plasma GT-X H3's (the ones shown in the last pic) if you so desire.

Anyways, sorry to get off topic, lol. Those PIAA lights seem like a desent choice for your goals. Since you claimed being able to see FURTHER as your main goal, especially on freeway and city driving, I would suggest the driving light as the beam pattern goals further out front than the wider fog light beam pattern. I hope I helped a bit. Good luck. Feel free to ask more questions.

It's just that easy folks... mind the forum guidelines and we're cool.
Empty Pockets Racing Member #6
EPR Member 4 Life
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 01:27 AM   #63
Silverbolt
Exterior Guy

Send a message via AIM to Silverbolt

Heres a link I found about bulbs that I thought was very interesting and informative.

PIAA vs Stock vs Opti Blue vs BMW HIDs

http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=102

"The only stupid question, is the question not asked."
Silverbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:47 PM   #64
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Re: Re: aftermarket bulbs:color temperature and usable light output

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbolt
Heres a link I found about bulbs that I thought was very interesting and informative.

PIAA vs Stock vs Opti Blue vs BMW HIDs

http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=102

I've seen this sotry before a long time ago. That story is misleading to a certain extent. Not all PIAA lights are the same. Super White, also know as "platinum super white," is there cheap ass light bulb line. Only like 3$30-40, and a complete waste of $$ IMO. You notice I have never recommended these. Think cheap ass bulbs like walmart has with a PIAA slapped on them. They are the bottom of the line PIAA, and they suck as bad as most other cheaply priced bulbs. If $40 is your buget, do yourself a favor and get the Silverstars versus these.

If you have Extreme White or SUper Plasma GT-X's, it's a different story. Unlike the cheap ass "Platinum" Super Whites, these 2 put out good light. They put out far more light than the cheap ass platinum super whites, which I personally don't think should b e called PIAA (notice too you don't find much mention of them on the PIAA website, though you can fin d them in stores. I can attest first hand that the Super Plasma's and Extreme Whites DO put out more light than stock. This is why I recommend these 2. Notice I never mention any other PIAA bulbs. This is because like the test found, cheap-ass bulbs like Platinum super whites are just that...CHEAP. It is an interestig story, and proves a point we have always said. Do not go cheap on headlights. However, it is misleading in the fact it makes it out to souns like ALL PIAA bulbs are bad, and this is simply not true. The Platinum Super Whites they tested ARE complete junk (hence the cheap price buy PIAA standards, all you get is the name, not qaulity). However, the Super Plasma GT-X's and Extreme Whites do put out very good light output, like Silverstars do also. This is why I consitantly recommend these 3 bulbs only. Everything else I have found is junk, where it's a cheap PIAA bulb like the Platinum Super Whites or some walmart crap. I don't believe PIAA even makes those ones anymore, I think "Star White" replaced them. If they paid $80 for those bulbs like they eluded to in the article, they either a)overpaid, b)listed the wrong bulb type name, or c)where provided the set to test and assumed it was $80 like most PIAA's. Remember, not all bulbs are the same, even within the saem company (hence you only here me mention 3 names when I recommend).

The article served a good point though that we have said all along. Watch what you buy with lightbulbs. As we have mentioned all along, most bulbs out there are crap, and the article goes to show that. The point is well made, don't rely on name, rely on what you know works.

EPR Member 4 Life
Old 11-20-2004, 09:48 PM   #65
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusto03

Why or why not?
Thanks.
it all depends on where you drive. I'm from LA as well, and since I drive some of the mountain roads often, I find it essential to have a GOOD bright headlight bulb, as well as a nice set of driving lights, or fog lights of you prefer. I have some kinda cheap generic type driving lights right now, but they add enough light that i need to have a pretty bright and super clear field of vision around me. I'm told my PIAA Super Plasma GTX headlights along with my driving lights, light up the canyons almost as well as the sun, lol! I'm actually going to be getting a set of JDm Honda foglights similar to the OEM factory fogs, but are made by Raybring instead and are amber in color. So well see how those turn out.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 04:43 PM   #66
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Okay, I have a PIAA Super Plasma update. I went to PIAA Corp, USA's headquarters today to get some replacement bulbs under warrenty for my H3 Super Plasma's that burnt out (on a side note I replaced them with the Super Plasma GT-X's, the replacment for the Super Plasma, once I get them in I will compare them to the reguler Super Plasma's I have at home and post the difference if I can see any). PIAA has a 1year warrenty on all their light bulbs, so I went in to the HQ to get the warrenty replace since they are located in the portland metro area (Beaverton). While I was there I decided to check out and see what new products they had available.

People have asked a lot in here about the availability of Super Plasma type bulbs in the 9000 (HB) series (mostly 9005 and 9006). For a long time the only 9000 series (HB series) Super Plasma bulbs available where the ones imported from japan. This ment a much higher price from the places that sold them, and also ment PIAA, USA did not offer 1 year warrenty them since PIAA USA did not market and sell them. The warrenty was up to the place of purchase. Well, this has now changed. PIAA Corp, USA now markets and sells Super Plasma GT-X bulbs. These are now available and will fit headlights using 9005(HB3) and 9006 (HB4) bulbs. The bulb type is called an "HB" bulb. It will fit both 9005 and 9006 housings. This means since PIAA corp USA now markets and sells it, that it no longer costs so much to by HB (9000) series Super Plasmas. It also now carries the PIAA 1 year warrenty. It is a 55 watt bulb (claiming 55watts power = 110watts lighting output using the "Xtra Technology to increase the lumans to an output eqaul to 110watts while only using a 55 watt draw). An HB4 (9006) low beam bulb uses a 51-55 watt draw usually. A HB3 (9005) high beam bulb uses a 60 watt draw. The "HB" type Super Plasma GT-X is ment to be able to replace both. The Twin Pack product code is 15296 and the single pacl product code is 15916. Aslo, as Silverbolt mentioned earlier, a Super Plasma type 168 wedge bulb is now also available from PIAA USA (the twin pack code is 19283).

EPR Member 4 Life
Old 01-09-2005, 03:16 PM   #67
shadowsjc
AF Newbie

fog lights?

question: i have a 2005 honda cr-v. i am currently thinking of buying aftermarket headlights (high intensity or what not), but i can't find any that fit my car (H1 i think). i'm also thinking of adding fog lights to the car. anyway, the question is, if i get high intensity headlights for the car, should i also get high intensity bulbs for the foglights? do they even make such bulbs for foglights? any input or suggestions are welcome . thanks
shadowsjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 05:48 PM   #68
locusto03
AF Newbie

I know this thread is way dead by now, but I'll just give it a shot anyway...
I have the Silverstars in my car right now and I actually got some cheapo Esuse plasma ion yellow fog lights (got them for free), and the setup is pretty decent.

Lately, I've been looking at MTEC (Maruta Shoji) products mainly on eBay and notice that sellers there claim they are in the same class as PIAA in Japan or something...
Can anybody here attest to the validity of this?
I'm just trying to educate myself more about car lighting and whatnot.

Thanks a bunch for any input.
locusto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:43 AM   #69
shortlid
AF Newbie

Re: AFTERMARKET BULBS: COLOR TEMPERATURE AND USABLE LIGHT OUTPUT

My Fiancé’s '99 Civic Ex sedan had BAD stock low beams. I am installing the Ebay driving lights for now. But, when the stock bulbs blow out I want to put something in that will put out more light! I don't care about the COLOR of the light they just have to put more light out. Which bulbs would you recomend for this application?
shortlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:58 AM   #70
gloriglorimanutd
AF Newbie

you should buy LED headlight accents. they look really sweet and they arn't expensive either.
gloriglorimanutd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:03 AM   #71
shortlid
AF Newbie

Do they really help with light output??
shortlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:35 PM   #72
gloriglorimanutd
AF Newbie

i dont know but the look really cool. you should cheak them out.
gloriglorimanutd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:05 AM   #73
BLUETOOTH NINJA
AF Newbie

opcorn:
BLUETOOTH NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:07 AM   #74
BLUETOOTH NINJA
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.C
The truth is it just a civic! How ironic haha
What do you mean 'just a civc'??????
Old 01-21-2007, 09:14 AM   #75
BLUETOOTH NINJA
AF Newbie

Anybody bought the Silverstar Ultra bulbs?. I just got them and they are slightly brighter and give more light to the side than regular Silverstars.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Exterior | bodykits | Lighting