Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
Morlaine
AF Newbie

1997 Chevy Cavalier 2.4 Automatic Idle Speed and Spark Plugs

I think these are probably simple questions but I have not been able to find the answer. My Chevy has 132,000 miles on it and a couple of days ago I was driving down the street and it turned itself off. I coasted to the curb and it started right up again. Two times after that same day it cut off when I was sitting at a light, always starting back up again. Also, it hesitates when I start up from a stoplight. My first thoughts were dirty injectors, or the need for new spark plugs, or the timing was off. The problems only occurred at low speed. At higher speeds (50 or 60) it seems to run fine. I was 4 hours from home when the problem occurred, so I bought a bottle of injector cleaner to put in the gas and it seems to have helped somewhat. At least it has not died since then although it still hesitates when taking off from a stop. I noticed that it is now idling at 600 rpm. I thought it used to idle faster than that. Strange what you don't think about until you have a problem.

I intend to have the injectors cleaned as soon as my mechanic gets off from his real job. I live in Costa Rica and there are only shade tree mechanics here where I live. I think my car is one of the few, maybe the only Chevy Cavalier 2.4 in the country. Since the mechanic has never worked on a Cavalier before, he is guessing as to the correct idle speed and how often the spark plugs should be changed.

So my questions are, what is the correct idle speed for a 1997 Chevy Cavalier Convertible 2.4 Automatic and how often should the spark plugs be changed? Those are my two questions for now. I may have more later if these things don't work.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Morlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 1997 Chevy Cavalier 2.4 Automatic Idle Speed and Spark Plugs

I would guess, that idle should be around 600 rpms on an engine that is at normal operating temp, with no load(A/C not on).....

Recommended spark plug replacement is 100K, but that is not written in stone....I assume this vehicle has already had a complete tuneup?

Last time your fuel filter was replaced?

Clean throttle plate and bore, along with IAC pintle and passage?

Checked for codes?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1997 , cavalier , chevy , idle , problem
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis