Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Escalade | ESV | EXT
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
mrrdeac
AF Newbie

Service Air Ride Message

I recently purchased a 2003 Escalade ESV (low mileage). But I get a Service Air Ride message on the DIC. I am an electrical engineer and I do most of my own service work. But I really want to read the error code. Does anyone know code readers that will pull this info?

It seems that the OTC-3209 and the Autel AL619 could work. But it is really difficult to tell for sure.

I suspect it is the exhaust solenoid on the air compressor assembly but with a code I would not be guessing
mrrdeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Service Air Ride Message

I agree that it is most likely the exhaust solenoid. It's only serviced with the compressor assembly. Check the shock boots also to be sure they are not torn. If I remember right, it's a blue and a grey wire (s) from the solenoid to the large connector. Isolate those two and measure resistance, it will probably read "OL" or open (since you're an EE I guess you know what I mean). The code will be a C0660, you'll need a reader that can read chassis codes.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #3
mrrdeac
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply gmtech1.
I did some debug this afternoon. I activated the ALC relay and the compressor did not come on. Suspected a ground or a bad connection.

I looked at the compressor assembly. Two wires are cut. One is Light Blue (to the compressor) and the other Dark Blue (to the exhaust solenoid). I can activate the exhaust solenoid by grounding the DK Blue wire (other end is connected to Battery). And I can read the resistance across the compressor motor with a digital voltmeter from the Lt blue wire to GND. I think these will tell me most of the facts about the compressor assembly. I have looked at the shocks they "look" OK. If the compressor "ohms out" OK, I am going to jumper 12V to the compressor and see if it runs. This should put some air in the shocks so I can tell if they are leaking. I will update what I find tomorrow
Old 12-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
mrrdeac
AF Newbie

Well I looked closer at the air compressor and the wiring this afternoon. The wire colors do not match the GM wiring diagram (on the compressor side, air compressor assembly was made by Arnott). Tracing the wires I determined which ones are going to the Exhaust solenoid and the Compressor (and matching the GM wiring diagram). Results: two wires going to exhaust solenoid were the ones which were "cut".

However, it seems someone replaced the exhaust solenoid as the wires had been "spliced". They had corroded in two at the splice. The splice was the incorrect type (not with heat shrink) as well. I checked the solenoid and the compressor resistance, looked OK. Properly connected the exhaust solenoid. Started up the Escalade, NO ERROR MESSAGE. Seems to have done the trick!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Escalade | ESV | EXT