Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
Philly Dave
AF Newbie

Unhappy HELP!! I have a socket STUCK on a lugnut

I had the brakes replaced on my 2013 Honda Accord LX, the mechanic broke the McGard key off on one of the locking nuts. He then employed a common technique of using a socket on the locking nuts to remove them. This worked well until the final locking lug-nut, and I guess by then the socket was worn out. The socket is now on the lug-nut, it will turn, but it is only spinning on the McGard lock, and will not bite into it enough to turn it. I can turn the socket and even move it up and down, side to side with an extension bar, BUT IT WILL NOT COME OFF. I took it to a garage where they tried using a slap hammer on it to no avail.

I'm hoping that someone can offer some advice on how to get this socket off without damaging the wheel. I sorta kinda can't use the car, because I'm afraid that if I have a flat with that tire I'm really up the creek.

I have tried cutting into the socket with a Dremel tool and cutoff wheel, hoping to either expose the McGard lock again, or opening up the socket enough to chisel it partially off - this didn't work at all because the socket is sitting so flush to the wheel opening that I couldn't cut all the way down, and I broke 3 chisels trying to extend the cut...the reps at McGard are great, I sent them a Hi-Res photo of the locking nut and they will send out a replacement key for a nominal amount.

I've even entertained the thought of having an eye hook welded to the socket and using a come-along to pull it off. I can get vice grips to lock onto it, but it would take Hercules to pull it off.

Another consideration was drilling into the McGard and using an extractor, but I was told that wouldn't work being that the McGard lug nut wasn't actually solid.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honda stuck socket a.jpg (72.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Honda socket cut a.jpg (80.7 KB, 0 views)
Philly Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: HELP!! I have a socket STUCK on a lugnut

What about a threaded "slide hammer" with a nut welded to the socket?
Old 11-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
joaa
AF Newbie

Re: HELP!! I have a socket STUCK on a lugnut

Up to you but before I would bugger up my rim I would drill right down the center of the stud starting with a small bit and getting bigger until the stud pops the nut off with the bit.
joaa is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General