Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #1
dirtaddict
AF Newbie

Online Automotive Classes?

I have no interest in wrenching as a career. I have a DD and a project car and would prefer to do the work myself (beyond regular oil changes, tire rotations, etc.). Would an online class like this be beneficial or a waste of money? My full time job has crazy hours that do not allow me to apprentice or shadow at any local shops, much less attend a vocational school 5 days a week. Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
dirtaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:29 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Online Automotive Classes?

The biggest benefit I would see to an online course would be to get the theory down of how a 4-stroke engine works, what effect ignition timing has, and how electronics can vary fuel delivery and timing to make more power or increase fuel economy. Beyond that, the specifics to your DD and project car will come primarily from applying what you could learn through an online course (or book from the library, surfing the Internet such as "howstuffworks.com", or forums).

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Online Automotive Classes?

Nothing other than getting your hands dirty will really be of any benefit in my opinion. You can read all the books you want, but unless you actually put your hands on the automobile/part at hand you will end up being lost. Sure you can learn things in research, but unless you actually have an idea of what it really takes to change it I can't see classes being of much, if any, benefit.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical