Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
harryhk
AF Newbie

Should I replace sealers when doing the time belt job?

Dear All:

Summer is coming, and I finally have my free time to do the time belt work . I did a research through and web and found that when people replace the time belt they also replace some seals along the way.

The seal replacement work is usually listed as an optional and I am posting here to seek for advice.

Here is my car's condition:
Honda accord, 98, ex, 4 cylinder, with 120k.

It will be my first time to do the time belt work, so I want to keep it simple. People say that if the seals are not leaking, you can leave them here. I don't know how hard to replace the seal, because it seems to me that the seals have to be pulled in perfectly. Otherwise, it leaks. Here are my questions:

1. How to identify if a sealer is leaking? Because if it leaks, I will certainly replace them.
2. If it does not leak, should I replace them(consider the year of my car)? How difficult it is? Should I buy special seal installers? I am afraid that I might screw it up and make my car leaking.
3. How many seals should I replace( or check) if I want replace them

Thanks a lot,
harry
harryhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
somick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Should I replace sealers when doing the time belt job?

Of course this decision is up to you. Considering the amount of time and efforts you make, people advice to replace the seals when changing timing belt. If the seal leaks you will be able to see it. It will be wet around the crankshaft. Even if it does not leak, 120000 miles and 13 years is more then enough for a seal and I would replace it. Many folks recommend using OEM but I took my chance and bought one at O'Reilly 4 months ago. So far so good. It is not leaking.

Camshaft seal is also recommended for replacement but there is little oil pressure there and if it does not leak I would leave it.

I would also replace a water pump. It took me about 10 hours to do the timing belt and I did not want to do it again just to do the water pump.

Good luck,
Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
harryhk
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somick View Post
Of course this decision is up to you. Considering the amount of time and efforts you make, people advice to replace the seals when changing timing belt. If the seal leaks you will be able to see it. It will be wet around the crankshaft. Even if it does not leak, 120000 miles and 13 years is more then enough for a seal and I would replace it. Many folks recommend using OEM but I took my chance and bought one at O'Reilly 4 months ago. So far so good. It is not leaking.

Camshaft seal is also recommended for replacement but there is little oil pressure there and if it does not leak I would leave it.

I would also replace a water pump. It took me about 10 hours to do the timing belt and I did not want to do it again just to do the water pump.

Good luck,
Sam
Thanks a lot for your reply. I found a time belt kit on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Timing-Belt-Ho...I3RL6XA9PR4YBW

It also has other sealers other than crankshaft and camshaft seal. I am wondering if it's worth to buy. Any suggestions?
Old 05-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
somick
AF Enthusiast

It is probably worth money-wise but I am still puzzled by four belts and two tensioners. All you need is a timing belt, a balancer belt, one or two seals and a water pump. That is about it. Tensioner at this mileage suppose to still be good.

Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to somick For This Useful Post:
harryhk (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
harryhk
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somick View Post
It is probably worth money-wise but I am still puzzled by four belts and two tensioners. All you need is a timing belt, a balancer belt, one or two seals and a water pump. That is about it. Tensioner at this mileage suppose to still be good.

Sam
Thanks a lot. I will follow your advice. I do think many things in the kit is not necessary. You save me for almost $100.