Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
90CorollaSR5
AF Regular

It's been awhile, but I got a race last night!

I was cruising home in my 07 civic si from my buddies house at around 11 pm when I get next to a brand new (07 or 08) manual mustang GT. I was about half a kilometer from my turn to go home but he looked like he wanted to play so i kept on going straight along side him.

We're cruising beside each other at about 70 km/hr in a 50 km/hr zone when he steps on it a little to show off what he's got. he slows down back to 70 and i drop it into 3rd gear and take it up to 8200 rpm (about 130 km/hr) and let off. after messing around with each other for awhile we finally catch a red light.

This isn't an ideal light to race at though.. i know it very well. it's two lanes that merge into 1 after about a 1/4 mile, so it's kind of scary to go all out when two cars are neck and neck (don't wanna hit that concrete barricade at the end!)

Anyways, I glance over at him and he looks to be in his late 30s. he revs it up and takes off about a second before the light turns green! this threw me off and he got a bit of a head start because of it. I get a decent launch regardless of the confusion and he has about a car on me when i shift into 2nd. i get a little bit of tire spin and am pulling just as hard as he is. shift to 3rd with another chirp and i am at his rear bumper when all of a sudden... I fly by him! I get on the brakes hard so i can get behind him without hitting the barricade.

since i've already passed my turn off a long ways back i do a u-turn at the next street and cruise back home, happy as a clam that i held on that long to a nice v8 stang. as i am just about to make my turn off, i see stang headlights coming up from behind me!

i slow down a bit and he gets right beside me as we cruise along at about 30 km/hr. he says he missed third gear while we were racing and i said i could tell something happened there :P. he said he wasn't used to his short shifter yet. he complimented my ride and i complimented his and we went our separate ways.

anyways, i'd better wrap this up.. i always end up writing way too much to describe something simple. i'm just happy i had a good race, even though it was a loss. i was surprised i kept up with him pretty well.

cliff notes: modded 07 civic si vs 07/08 mustang GT, lost by half a car before mustang missed 3rd. turned out to be a cool dude.

2007 Honda Civic Si, Taffeta White

-Injen CAI
-DC Sports Race Header
-Megan Racing Cat-back Exhaust
-TWM SS
-shifter base & cable bushings

patiently waiting for k-pro..
90CorollaSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
MZR_47
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to MZR_47
Re: It's been awhile, but I got a race last night!

dang, even with him getting the jump the Si pulled pretty good on him. You know how many ponies you puttin down? But hey, nice race. I would be pretty proud of that if I were you.

Silencer Delete | SPT Catback | Megan Racing DP | TEIN Flex Coilovers | Front and Rear Sway Bars | DBA Rotors | TurboXS UTEC | 18 psi
MZR_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
GForce957
AF Enthusiast

sounds like an inexperienced driver in the stang, since even with the mods u have and his stockness, he still has a faster car then you. But thats a good thing, cause it shows your ability is superior to his. Good stuff
GForce957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
stwatson
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to stwatson

bolt-on civic SI (07) is actually a head to head race with the 05+ model GT's. They arent anything amazing and with simple bolt-ons the Civic SI SHOULD be even if not a little faster. 1/4 mile times for the GT's are only good due to their RWD launch...but trap speeds arent as impressive.

Nice race...outcome I would have expected
Old 06-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #5
GForce957
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwatson
bolt-on civic SI (07) is actually a head to head race with the 05+ model GT's. They arent anything amazing and with simple bolt-ons the Civic SI SHOULD be even if not a little faster. 1/4 mile times for the GT's are only good due to their RWD launch...but trap speeds arent as impressive.

Nice race...outcome I would have expected
The SI with just those mods is faster then an RSX-S with those plus Kpro? That's interesting.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
stwatson
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForce957
The SI with just those mods is faster then an RSX-S with those plus Kpro? That's interesting.
What do you mean?

Bolt on RSX = Bolt on Civic SI (or very similar)
Bolt on RSX & K-Pro = Bolt on Civic SI & K-Pro (even though 2007 cant get K-Pro)

Trap speeds will be around 99mph or so for the RSX with just bolt ons. K-Pro will put you in the 100mph+ range. 05+ model GT's trap 100-101 stock. So its kinda close in trap speed...kinda. The GT should have won this race...Im just saying it wasnt going to be a slaughter by any means. From a roll it should have been a fairly close race and if the Mustang did miss 4th then it would lose. The RSX you raced with full bolt-ons I have a hard time believing had K-Pro.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
GForce957
AF Enthusiast

nm I misread. New mustangs trap around 102-103 if you can drive, http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ecs_price.html

The rsx-s I raced (he said kpro, I dunno) would be comparable to a civic si with bolt ons then and I beat him by about 1.5-2 lengths and my car is slower then the new stangs.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
stwatson
AF Regular

Quote:
nm I misread. New mustangs trap around 102-103 if you can drive, http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ecs_price.html

The rsx-s I raced (he said kpro, I dunno) would be comparable to a civic si with bolt ons then and I beat him by about 1.5-2 lengths and my car is slower then the new stangs.
Yea that doesnt make sense to me. It is possible he DID have K-Pro, but like any tuning tool, it can be detrimental to performance if you dont tune it right. When I was bolt-on and K-Pro I got a race with an 05+ GT from a roll and we even.

RSX with K-Pro is faster than the civic si with bolt ons and NO K-pro (if tuned right). So I would really like to talk to the guy you ran to see what the F is up with his car...cause it should have been an even race, if not even edge you out a LITTLE.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
GForce957
AF Enthusiast

Yea I agree, I think it was either tuned horribly or he was bullshitting me. When does Kpro for the 07's come out?
Old 06-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
98BlackTransAm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 98BlackTransAm

i've raced a handful of 05+ gt stangs and they are garbage, very overrated. i'd rather drive a civic that's slightly slower, than a mustang that doesn't live up to expectations. honestly i'd be embarrassed to drive an 05+ mustang.
F13 cam (230/232, .595/.585, 112+4 LSA) | PRC Dual Valve Springs | LS2 Timing Chain | Ported LS6 oil pump | Pacesetter LT's | TSP catted y-pipe | Flowtech cutout | LS6 intake | SLP lid | SLP cat-back | Bilstein suspension | Tuned by Mayhem Motorsports

1998 Pontiac Trans Am (A4) - SOLD
slp lid, pacesetter lts, ory, flowtech cutout, fuddle 3400 stall, B&M tranny cooler
98BlackTransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #11
stwatson
AF Regular

Quote:
Yea I agree, I think it was either tuned horribly or he was bullshitting me. When does Kpro for the 07's come out?
I dont think K-Pro is coming out for the 07's. The layout is impossible for it. I believe the ECU is actually located in the engine bay instead of under the glove box making it next to impossible to run a USB cord to and from the interior. Im sure they are going to come out with something...but I have no idea what as of now.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #12
CassiesMan
AF Vendor

Send a message via AIM to CassiesMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwatson
I dont think K-Pro is coming out for the 07's. The layout is impossible for it. I believe the ECU is actually located in the engine bay instead of under the glove box making it next to impossible to run a USB cord to and from the interior. Im sure they are going to come out with something...but I have no idea what as of now.
Get a longer USB cable. Look at that, I just solved all your problems with a twenty dollar Best Buy solution. Someone should give me money for it.
CassiesMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #13
haonamdaica
AF Newbie

oh thanks new cars pictures
haonamdaica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #14
stwatson
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiesMan
Get a longer USB cable. Look at that, I just solved all your problems with a twenty dollar Best Buy solution. Someone should give me money for it.
I think its other issues about a different casing of ECU as well. They dont have a model of K-Pro out that will bolt into the stock ECU position. This is also a problem with 05+ model RSX's. They have to get a new harness and an 02-04 RSX O2 sensor. K-Pro for my car costs $800 and for the 05+ models it costs upwards of $1500 for the extra parts. Im sure it will be even more expensive for these newer Civic SI's...which sucks cause I would love to see how they respond to tuning.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #15
-Jayson-
AF Enthusiast

wow i didnt expect that, stock mustang GTs can hit high 13's. Nice kill

SouthEast Ecotec Enthusiast
-Jayson- is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing