Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 03:20 PM   #1
sq_man
AF Newbie

how to warm up a 2001 BMW

No one seems to agree on this, and I cannot find any information in the manual - what is the best way to warm up the car?

Since most of the engine wear is while it is warming up, my contention is to warm it up as quickly as possible at low engine load. So I start it up and pretty much start driving slow until the needle is halfway between cold and hot (blue and red). Then I feel free to rev the engine.

Does anyone agree/disagree?

I have a 2001 BMW 325i.
sq_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 12:18 AM   #2
nebular18
AF Newbie

Hi sq-man, I do the same thing as you too. except that i let the engine idle for a about a min ( let the engine oil circulate first ) before i move off in moderate speed until the temp is in the middle.
nebular18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 07:54 AM   #3
RobG
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to RobG
My recommendation?

Idle for one minute.
Sit in neutral at 1800-2200rpm for 3 minutes.

This should at least get the needle on the gauge. Also gives it enough time for the heat to really kick in and for us lazy types, for our windshields to be near defrosted.

After that after about 2 minutes or so of sane driving, the temp should be near optimal.
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 05:06 PM   #4
3.5litermoose
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 3.5litermoose
i really dont think you have to sit ther with you engine turing 2000 for 2 minutes. like nebular said, sit there for a minute, then just dont rev the engine above 3000 for a while. Holding the engine at 2000 for 3 minutes is the same thing as driving around without reving the engine high for 3 minutes.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:26 PM   #5
axboi2001x
AF Newbie

I have a 2001 330i and I remember that in the manual, it tells you NOT to warm the car up by just letting it sit there. BMW wants you to first drive around at moderate speed (I'm guessing no more then 4000rpm), and when the needle is back to the middle, then you are free to rev. It's definitely in the manual...I can find the page for you if you still can't find it.
axboi2001x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 10:48 PM   #6
325Driver
AF Newbie

axboi2001x is absolutely right. You do not wanna sit there and let the car idle. BMW recommends that once you start the car, you drive away, that is how you let the engine warm up. I just would keep the revs below 3500 rpm and you should be fine. Thankfully enough BMW engines warm up very quickly so the wait time isn't too bad.
325Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 08:17 AM   #7
sq_man
AF Newbie

Thank you (above) for bringing this up - this is what I was really wondering - whether it is actually BAD to sit idling. I don't remember reading that in the manual, I'll check again.

I'm sure the transient heat transfer of a modern IC engine is complex, so it difficult to reason this one out. BMW actually has (in the newer models) what they call "engine mapped" cooling - meaning the control algorithms actually have, internally, an analytical/semi-empirical model of the heat transfer of the engine, and use that for optimal heating/cooling. Impressive.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:19 AM   #8
sq_man
AF Newbie

By the way, they don't warm up too quickly in Boston!
Old 02-07-2002, 09:46 AM   #9
tigerirons
AF Regular

What damage could you do to your car revving it a little bit with the needed is closer to the blue?
tigerirons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 04:39 AM   #10
325Driver
AF Newbie

Revving the engine too high when it is not fully warm will cause premature engine wear on all parts inside the engine that need lubrication, thus shortening the life of your engine and your car.
325Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 02:32 PM   #11
328isRob
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 328isRob
I turn the car on, drive it and when the needle is moving it is warm... come on guys, its a BMW engine (offspring of the Energizer Bunny), they keep going and going and going.... just don't forget to change the oil.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:40 AM   #12
BELLJ1
AF Newbie

wear and tear

i am about to be the proud owner of a new 330ci sport and,although this is a slightly different problem to the subject, am slightly concerned about the correct way to insert the key into the lock whilst causing minimal wear and tear.All opinions gratefully received
BELLJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 09:26 AM   #13
sq_man
AF Newbie

Cute

If you're trying to be a smart-a**,

A. That's pretty funny

but

B. You know nothing about machines.

But still, that's pretty funny.

All of the wear in an engine is when it is heating up - all.
Even BMW engineers are not immune to the laws of heat
transfer.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:53 PM   #14
pod13
AF Newbie

Re: wear and tear

Quote:
Originally posted by BELLJ1
i ... am slightly concerned about the correct way to insert the key into the lock whilst causing minimal wear and tear.
ROFLMAO
pod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 03:59 PM   #15
ronin
AF Newbie

warmup

Anybody ever been in Germany?
I have and still living here. I drive a 95 318i that has over 92tkm (ca.52000miles) No leaks, doesn't burn oil if you follow the service interval and no warm-up. Soon as you start the car you can drive off but until it hits operating temperature (needle at 12o'clock) do not go past 3000RPM. You'll notice this if you happen to own an E46 M3. Says how far you can rev till it hits op-range.

By the way the service interval lights are just there as a measure. Depending on weather conditions and you, you'll have to see how often to change. Every year I change at least 4 times (synthetic, because of thermal breakdown)

Like BMW's MOTTO: Freude am Fahren!!!!
ronin is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series