Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #16
kcirick
AF Newbie

Re: Ika Musume Ferrari (Super GT 2011)

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement!

I didn't get to work on this project today, but I'm thinking a little bit ahead and laying out details of the engine bay.

Basically, I'm turning the kit engine that looks like this:

To this:

I think for most part, I have a plan, but one thing that I am worried about is recreating that air intake ducts (Black carbon ducts with blue bands around them). I'm not sure what the best way to create that is (molding putty, perhaps?).

I would welcome any suggestions on how you would make that :-)
kcirick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #17
kcirick
AF Newbie

Just a quick update today:

Earlier I built a roll cage from the kit, which is for the challenge:

It turns out, from the reference photos, there are noticeable differences between GTC and Challenge:

So I decided to rebuild the roll cage using 2mm plastic rod. Using the kit roll cage as a guide, I started

I have tons of respect for modellers who can do these sort of things so easily and with such a great accuracy and finesse: I struggled for hours just making the rough shape and making sure it's to the specific dimension.

In the end, I have the result I am satisfied with. It still needs work. I will fill the gaps with putty and sand it down to smoothen, but already you can see the difference comparing side by side with the Challenge.

It looks like this in the (work in progress) cockpit

The more I look into the details, the more I find things that are not quite correct about the kit, and it's delaying the completion

I will continue to slowly work at it, and I'll eventually get to the end, someday

P.S: What material do people use for padding for the roll cage?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #18
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Excellent work and ambitious project !
you may consider using sprue to scratch your air ducts, if you can find some at the right diameter it could be perfect.
If they are too small you can wrap them in paper stripes and put a coat of putty above, with some sanding it should be smooth and at the corret diameter.
Other than that, just find some plastic rod at the right diameter and bend it...
I also use some electrical wire, as they are several diameter available and some are semi-rigid.
I also (re)build exhaust with the same technic.

rallymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #19
kcirick
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymaster View Post
Excellent work and ambitious project !
you may consider using sprue to scratch your air ducts, if you can find some at the right diameter it could be perfect.
If they are too small you can wrap them in paper stripes and put a coat of putty above, with some sanding it should be smooth and at the corret diameter.
Other than that, just find some plastic rod at the right diameter and bend it...
I also use some electrical wire, as they are several diameter available and some are semi-rigid.
I also (re)build exhaust with the same technic.
Thank you for your hint. You talked about bending the plastic rod, how do I that effectively? Do you use heat gun or similar? I tried candle before and it didn't go too well

Ambitious for my skill, absolutely yes. Looking at many of the WIP work on this forum, I am always in awe and I feel I will never be able to achieve the same quality you achieve. I still enjoy the work and getting all of the comments and feedbacks, even if it's not perfect
Old 10-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #20
rallymaster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcirick View Post
Thank you for your hint. You talked about bending the plastic rod, how do I that effectively? Do you use heat gun or similar? I tried candle before and it didn't go too well

Ambitious for my skill, absolutely yes. Looking at many of the WIP work on this forum, I am always in awe and I feel I will never be able to achieve the same quality you achieve. I still enjoy the work and getting all of the comments and feedbacks, even if it's not perfect
I meant ambitious at a positive sens Project itself not project compared to your skills, I can't and wouldn't judge skills.

I personaly usually bend plastic rod above a candle light or use a lighter.
I always move the rod in the flame not to be too much agressive against plastic.
I would never pretend I make it each time right at first try but most of the time it works well

rallymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #21
Maranello1977
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Maranello1977

Some time ago I was interested in this kit, you've a great job, the cage is very well
Maranello1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #22
kcirick
AF Newbie

Hello...

Sorry to say that this project is now closed until further notice

The short story is that I was working on the body yesterday. I made a small little mistake, which I tried to fix. The fix didn't go too well, so I decided to make a bigger fix, which went disastrous.

The long story is as follows: I was putting in the panel lines with thinned gray paint. When I tried to wipe the excess paint with the qtip with the acrylic thinner, the paint smuged onto the white body. Perhaps stupidly, I decided to paint the smudged body white with the brush, but this didn't work too well. So I tried the spray can, masking out the area with the decal. This was the mistake. When I peeled off the masking take, I ripped and peeled the decal with it, and now I cannot continue:

The lesson learned is NEVER PUT MASKING TAPE OVER DECALS!. With this, I shall take a small break from modelling to collect myself, until I get the Fujimi BMW Z4 GT3 I ordered and will be arriving sometime next week

Now the question is what to do with this kit...
Old 10-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #23
kcirick
AF Newbie

Still hating myself for the stupid mistake, but thanks to my wife's suggestion and encouragement, I will continue this.

All I did was to print the small section of the missing piece with a printer and gluing it on top. sure, it looks ugly from up close, but if you look at it from a little bit far and if you don't look too carefully, it is barely noticeable, so I think I'm okay with it

I started putting extra bits and pieces onto the body, like mesh, head lights, bumper canards, the tow hooks etc... It is taking shape. It is better than ending up in trash

I am also making progress on the engine and interior, but I will post that some other time
Old 10-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #24
griffin-gt40
AF Regular

Nice progress so far and not a bad save either. Another option, once finished weather the car, make it look race worn and it will probably help hide some of the difference in the depth of the decal/repair. And for the future, do all your painting before applying the decals...I've had to learn that one the hard way too.

David
griffin-gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #25
kcirick
AF Newbie

Hey guys,

A pre-weekend update from me!

I finished the interior. What was missing was the seat. The back side is carbon fibre, and I think a lot of people use CF decals, but I came across a way to paint it using a fine mesh, which I wanted to try (actually, I couldn't just wait to just order CF decals and have it shipped. I'm very impatient)

I painted first with mix of silver and black, then using a fine mesh as a mask, I painted black over it. Here is the result. I think it looks pretty good:

For the front of the seat, I glued on fine specks that are usually used for making grasses in dioramas, then painted in matte black:

I also made the seatbelt using red ribbon for gift wrapping (I don't have a clear picture of this). I don't have a Sabelt logo decal, so that's been omitted. I think it looks okay without it. The belt buckles are the PE parts from Hobby Design.

For the door, I had to make a hole in the middle since in real car it is in fact hollow. Instead of a door handle, there is a line that runs in the middle, which I recreated:

Putting everything together, we have a complete interior:

One last thing I did today was to double check the stance of the vehicle:

I think the stance is fine. I just wish I had the racing slick tires. The kit tires are low profile sports tires. If you know anywhere I can get racing slick tires that would work for this kit, please let me know!

Next big item is the engine bay which I hopefully can get started this weekend. It is empty right now, but it will be filled (mostly scratchbuilt. The kit is essentially useless).

Stay tuned...
Old 10-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #26
WRCfan
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to WRCfan Send a message via MSN to WRCfan Send a message via Yahoo to WRCfan

Nice work mate! It looks very nice. Keep plugging away at it. When you are right near the end the excitement to just get it done and displayed on the shelf is huge.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:58 AM   #27
kcirick
AF Newbie

Hello!

This week's project was the engine area. This area is mostly scratch, since it is completely different from the Challenge engine.

This is a pretty cool short video of details of the real car, including the engine.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1308758371

The engine itself. I just kept the framing with the red block that is barely visible. It is hard to tell but it is painted with carbon-fibre pattern.

Here is the engine put in its place

The air duct was made using milliput. It was very hard to get it perfectly identical, but I think it turned out okay.

The framing around the engine. This is specific to GTC cars, so I had to make these using the styrene tubing with the same diameter as the roll bars

Final piece to be added is the exhaust system. This is also quite a bit different from the kit, and Ika Musume Ferrari has its own unique arrangement, so reproduce this by making it from scratch (except for the muffler which I reused the piece I cut from the original kit).

Final pictures of the engine:

The project is nearing it's finish! Just some small things left, and so it should be finished this weekend!
Old 10-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #28
kcirick
AF Newbie

Hello.

The car is now complete.

I put more pictures on the Completed Gallery: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul....php?t=1103483

Thanks for everyone's help. It was a challenging project, but it was a very good and fun experience!
Old 11-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #29
123yokomo
AF Enthusiast

squid girl!! looks great love it!
123yokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:46 AM   #30
lanesteele240
AF Newbie

Do you have any more picks of the real car. I cant find any. Your build ended up great. sad to see the deacal get messed up. But you revoverex welll
lanesteele240 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
ferrari , ika , itasha , musume , supergt
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports