Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
chrisl757
AF Newbie

Tires--what kind are best and where to get them?

I'm going for 4 new tires on a 96 xj.

I want to see how smooth of a ride I can get because I am exclusively a highway driver. I'm also tired of tire shimmy.

What tires would give me the smoothest ride?

And are there places to avoid going to for the alignment/balancing? How do I know if they know what they're doing?

Thanks for any thoughts.
chrisl757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Tires--what kind are best and where to get them?

Often, ride and handling are a compromise. Unfortunately, the XJ, with its relatively firm springs and primitive suspension design favors off-road reliability, and not a smooth ride. So, regardless of tire choice, the ride simply will not be very good.

I would suggest to stick with the stock tire size. Go with a passenger car tire, and NOT a light truck tire or all-terrain tire.

Most tire manufacturers have tire models that favor a quiet smooth ride. So, imo, go to a reputable tire dealer that carries several brands of tire, and see what they say. Stick to a premium tire maker, like Michelin or Yokohama, Bridegestone, BF Goodrich etc.

I am not sure what you mean by tire shimmy. A shimmy, shake or vibration often is caused by worn steering or suspension components. The XJ is particularly sensitive to this, and new tires usually will not correct any problems in this area. So make sure the front end is in good shape. Have all components inspected and repaired, if necessary, and get an alignment, before you get the new tires.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
chrisl757
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know you could do the automotive tires on an XJ. I will check on that. The tires have to be replaced anyways, so i am hoping that with new, balanced tires and a front end alignment, my ride ("tire shimmy") should improve. I have very uneven wear between tires, and they have been loyal soldiers for many miles, but they are ready to rest.

I did see a good price on Cooper Discoverer's ($100). but they are truck/suv rated.

If I'm putting this much money into her, I want to do it right.
chrisl757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

The people who do alignments can easily inspect the front end and give you a report.

Many XJ's came from the factory with passenger car tires. These tires are more flexible so the absorb bumps and vibration better, and their tread patterns are quieter.
By contrast, truck and SUV tires have thicker, stronger sidewalls and treads, for more load carrying capacity and impact resistance. But this strength makes for a rougher ride. Also, they have a more aggressive tread pattern for off-road traction which is noisier and vibrates more.

Keep in mind the XJ weighs little more than a regular car of the same size, about 3300 lbs or so, so truck/SUV tires are not needed at all, unless you go off-road.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

I'd personally recommend Tirerack.com. I've ordered my last 2 sets of tires from them, they're usually less expensive than buying in person. The site can also recommend shops in your area where you can have the tires mounted and balanced.

There are reviews of each tire, put on the site by people who have bought them....you can customize the review to your vehicle, to see what others thought about driving on those tires.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
mtulett1
AF Newbie

I have some toyo open country A/T's on my XJ and I love them. They aren't as quite as a tire for a sedan but they are smooth and they take me anywhere i need to go. I am mostly a highway driver and only go off road during hunting season. These tires work great for me and i have put 60000 miles on them in 3.5 years and they still have just under half the tread left on them. My wife has BFG rugged trail tires on her ZJ and that thing is quite and smooth but it does have a different suspension. Just some food for thought. good luck.
mtulett1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
alignment , balancing , tires
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Cherokee