Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 06:28 PM   #16
02blackstallion
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to 02blackstallion
Re: How To:Door Molding/Badging Removal

How about bug & tar remover?
Granatelli MAF Sensor

Kills
5spd Mustang
5spd Civic
02blackstallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 12:10 PM   #17
possessedcricket
AF Newbie

not hard at all

I did mine when it was 90+ outside. All I did was have my friend pull slowly on the molding, and I made sure the glue came off. Then we used 3M adhesive remover. I think we used bug and tar remover too. Then just wash it. When it gets dirty it will show up a couple of times, but after that your good.
possessedcricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:45 AM   #18
02blackstallion
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to 02blackstallion

Removed my Silverado & Chevrolet badges from my tailgate yesterday. I really have to say it looks a lot smoother, I also have to say that tape is a real pain in my ass! Bug & Tar remover wasnt working so good. The tape always wanted to stay on the truck, heat didnt work, neither did fishing line. I ended up using a plastic spatula and my fingers, but after that the residue was still there. It took about half an hour of solid scrubbing with the B&T remover....After going through those two little badges, I dont know if I want to remove the BSM anymore...
Granatelli MAF Sensor

Kills
5spd Mustang
5spd Civic
02blackstallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:27 PM   #19
silverdodd
AF Newbie

All suggestions work fine, but if you want to get the adhesive off without damaging the paint and your fingers, try using a "wheel eraser". It's basically pencil eraser material formed in a wheel with an arbor. It can be used on a air grinder or a drill. I use mine on a cordless drill. 3M makes one (probably invented it), but I got a brand X at a local paint shop for under $15. I have de-badged a number of S-10's for my son and his friends with little effort. The glue just rolls off. I then just go over it with polish/wax. I haven't tried string to cut through the adhesives. I'll try next time. I usually use bondo spreaders, though they will deform if the heat is too high.
silverdodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:33 AM   #20
brokesilverado
AF Newbie

why remove the badges from your truck i paid for that package damit if i don't want to show it off. but I guess everybody is different. lol.... I would take mine off but thenIi probably wouldn't like it, then would have to pay all that money to put them back on
brokesilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 11:09 PM   #21
gremlin96
AF Regular

Angry Re: Re: How To:Door Molding/Badging Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesilverado
why remove the badges from your truck i paid for that package damit if i don't want to show it off. but I guess everybody is different. lol.... I would take mine off but thenIi probably wouldn't like it, then would have to pay all that money to put them back on

mine started peeling off on the drivers side. so i took it the rest of the way off. 3000 miles on the truck and it had all kinds of durt and grime under it. guess what i did to the other side. you got it removed it. I had a 85 chevy the first spots to rust was under the name plate and fender crome. I am betting that in 2-5 years the spot the badges are is the first spot to be repainted.
gremlin96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 12:20 PM   #22
Nigel215
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: How To:Door Molding/Badging Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm442
OK gang, I took off my 4x4 stickers on the bed, it looks a lot cleaner now.
(2004 -2500HD,CC,SB,6.0)

My question is are ALL the badges stuck on with glue/tape? -Like the fender "2500HD" badge? -are both Tailgate badges just glued/taped on?

I'll start removing those this weekend if I have time.

~Rob
yea....everything is taped or glued on. Even the molding that goes along the door. Their is nothing that is rivited or anything. I dident even have to heat up my molding or my LS behind the door. I also did this in the summer which might of helped. I started with just taking the tailgate badges off....then 2 weeks later i ended up taking off everything. looks alot smoother.

2000 Silverado LS 4.8, K&N FIPK, Gibson Extreme Dual Exhaust, Line-X Bedliner, Black Speed Grille, Viper Alarm System, Custom Audio system.... (need to update my pic)
Nigel215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:41 PM   #23
nineball481
AF Enthusiast

how was the paint underneath, Nigel? Did it need cleaning up or anything, did it make the rest of the truck look faded?
  • Hypertech PP III
  • 20" Helo Renegades wrapped w/ Toyo Proxes S/T
  • Escalade instrument cluster
  • TYC tail lights and corner lights
  • Wet Okole seat covers

Some people see things as they are and say "Why?". I dream of things that never were and say "Why not.""
-George Bernard Shaw

"Mind over matter: If she doesn't mind, It doesn't matter"
-Nineball
nineball481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 06:37 AM   #24
Nigel215
AF Enthusiast

No the paint looked fine. I guess their was a very little difference from that part of the paint never seeing the sun, but you would never notice. The next time i washed and waxed it it looked fine.
After i pulled off the door molding i had to wipe it down a bit. Theirs actually only 2 strips of tape, so the center is empty allowing some dirt to get in there. By looking at your truck, I think you will like the results. Do you plan on keeping that pin stripe?

2000 Silverado LS 4.8, K&N FIPK, Gibson Extreme Dual Exhaust, Line-X Bedliner, Black Speed Grille, Viper Alarm System, Custom Audio system.... (need to update my pic)
Nigel215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 04:03 PM   #25
nineball481
AF Enthusiast

well the pinstripe matches the malibu stripes on the hood (both are metallic silver). I think I'll keep it because it matches. I am also planning on contiuing the racing stripes over the roof and down the tailgate, but haven't made the final decision on that quite yet.
  • Hypertech PP III
  • 20" Helo Renegades wrapped w/ Toyo Proxes S/T
  • Escalade instrument cluster
  • TYC tail lights and corner lights
  • Wet Okole seat covers

Some people see things as they are and say "Why?". I dream of things that never were and say "Why not.""
-George Bernard Shaw

"Mind over matter: If she doesn't mind, It doesn't matter"
-Nineball
nineball481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 11:34 PM   #26
Dano 00TA
AF Newbie

If you people that removed the side moldings want to sell em, pm me as I need a set very bad. They have to be for a ex-cab Silverado and either forest green or black. I'd be interested in all 8 pieces.
Dano 00TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 03:43 PM   #27
isophase
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to isophase Send a message via MSN to isophase Send a message via Yahoo to isophase

I do Commercial Construction.. and a painter on the jobsite got paint on my truck while painting the outside of a Building. Anyway. They had it detailed for free.. and I had them remove the Trim.. They did a good job.. Only bitch is that theres a small line where the trim was.. and a Very Slightly noticable differnece in Paint.. So think Ahead
isophase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:31 AM   #28
brumleveb
AF Newbie

What color is your truck and how old was it when you took the moldings off? I'm debating about taking them off my truck, but my truck's almost a year old.
brumleveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:40 PM   #29
isophase
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to isophase Send a message via MSN to isophase Send a message via Yahoo to isophase
Re: Re: How To:Door Molding/Badging Removal

My trucks a 2000, that would make it almost 5 years old.. and I just took them off couple weeks ago

I love the look without them.. More sporty.
isophase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:04 AM   #30
brumleveb
AF Newbie

Great, thanks.
brumleveb is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado