Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
gw84
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to gw84
larger tire size

'99 silverado.

Currently sitting on 245/75/16s. Is this the stock size?

I want something bigger without a lot of hassle. I've been searching the forums but haven't seen a unanimous answer yet. I saw where someone was able to do 285 75 16 by raising the torsion bars 1 inch, but that was in c/k forum so I thought it would probably be different. Also should note that they said they have slight rubbing in the rear at full wheel turn.

My silverado is 4x4, extended cab and stock afaik

been looking at http://www.tire-size-calculator.info/ but it doesn't tell me if a larger size will rub. I'm a bit curious about the difference in speedometer (noted there) and how it'd affect the odometer

This ain't your grandma's car!!
gw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:27 PM   #2
777stickman
AF Enthusiast

Re: larger tire size

I ran 265's on my '99 Sub K2500, but I had custom rims that would accommodate the larger tires. Will your rims do that? Your owners manual or a google search will tell you what came stock on your truck.

Larger tires will effect the speedo as it will show slower than actual. The odo is also effected. An example would be 100 actual miles would show on the odo as 80 miles. Fuel economy and towing would also be effected as bigger tires equal higher gear ratios and added stress on the drive train.
1999 K2500 Old Body Style Suburban (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Dodge Ram 3500/5.9 Cummins
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
777stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:38 PM   #3
gw84
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to gw84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777stickman View Post
I ran 265's on my '99 Sub K2500, but I had custom rims that would accommodate the larger tires. Will your rims do that? Your owners manual or a google search will tell you what came stock on your truck.

Larger tires will effect the speedo as it will show slower than actual. The odo is also effected. An example would be 100 actual miles would show on the odo as 80 miles. Fuel economy and towing would also be effected as bigger tires equal higher gear ratios and added stress on the drive train.
well dang, maybe I don't want to do that then. Perhaps I should stick with a slight lift. Tired of the stock look.

This ain't your grandma's car!!
gw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:21 AM   #4
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

If I have this right, a stock 1999 Silverado 4X4 with P245/75R16's had 6.5" wheels - and that means you can't go up in size without encountering other problems. Using a wheel that is too narrow tends to make the tire tread arch, and the vehicle would tend to follow the ruts in the pavement and be sensitive to cross winds.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

you have stock tires 245. 265 no problem ...
above this size can be problem and also program changes for speedo.

you want to go higher use 18inch wheels .16inch not good on your change idea.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado