Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 08:59 AM   #1
Rich
Never Fear, Rich is here!

Send a message via MSN to Rich
Question Advice On Amp/Sub(s) For Caprice Classic

Hi! I own a Caprice Classic [these cars are huge!] and I just bought a Pioneer DEH-P3300 deck (MOSFET 50x4), new 4-way 6x9's for the back and 4x6's for the doors [all pioneer]. I want to get some bass pouding goin on in this car, but the trunk is soo massive and the car is just plain huge, so im guessing it'd have to be a pretty powerful system to get much sound out of the trunk. What size sub, how many, how much amp, and what kind of enclosure would u suggest? Im not trying to get a comp stereo here, just some nice bass for crusin with the honey,lol

Thanks
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 01:52 PM   #2
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
Depending on which way you go.

You can get a Bandpass with two 12's (perferably Kicker Competition) with a Rockford Fosgate amp pushing 400-500 watts.

Or you can get a custom installed system to be permanent in the car.

You might also want to consider getting a Boston Acoustic crossover.
Old 09-24-2001, 07:54 PM   #3
MercCougarXR7
AF Regular

You drive a big boat too, eh ? I just switched my Cougars stereo system over to my Marquis. A cheap and simple Legacy amp (500 watts) with an external crossover and an entry line Kenwood deck. That said, I get AMAZING pounding (but still not competition level) from the one 12" phoenix gold sub, in a MONSTER box with one port. It barely fits between the sides of the trunk (at the bottom), and has about 1.5' square sides on it. I believe it is the size of the box that makes it work so well. I have factory Premium sound, and have left the speakers alone.

Since you are in Thunder bay, the prices will make sense to you. From KitchenerWaterloo Surplus, I bought my amp for $130, and the crossover for $30. Both are Legacy brand, and I am more than happy with them. The local stero store wanted over $400 for a 500 watt Pioneer amp, but it had a built in crossover. A word of caution on built in crossovers - most manufacturers haven't perfected it, and they don't work as well as getting an external one. A good site you should visit for you audio needs: www.caraudioforum.com

Enjoy, and Good Luck - Merc.

2000 LS8 Sport, 1992 XR7 5.0 HO
MercCougarXR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 02:35 PM   #4
hawker820
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to hawker820
i would definately go with either rockford or panasonic gear. i run rockford subs and amps with a panasonic mobile video. the rockford stuff rocks. go with two twelves, it always sounds the best. and definately go with a ported box of some kind. hope this helps.
hawker820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 03:12 PM   #5
Rich
Never Fear, Rich is here!

Send a message via MSN to Rich
Thx for all the replys. Currently looking at a MTX amp, but I hate the prices , ive looked into some other stuff, and theres alot of cheaper stuff out there thats good enough for me.i just need a decent amp that is meant for a sub (i dont care about the name), or that can be bridged to 1 ch cause im only dropping in 1 sub, i decided to go with a JBL 12' ( ya ya its kind budget, but i just want a decent stereo with a good amount of bass from the sub, i dont need a comp stereo) and I already picked up a nice ported box and got that set in the trunk.

hey Merc...im interested in kitchenerWaterloo surplus and your post only reinforces the good things ive heard about there prices. Do they have a web site? or is there some place i can get a list of the amps they sell?

The amp i get doesnt have to be anything special, I have RCA connections on my deck for a sub, so the amp doesnt have to have line level inputs or anything.

Any info that you can throw my way would be helpful Merc.

Thanks again all
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 03:43 PM   #6
hawker820
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to hawker820
i have a panasonic amp, 4 channel, 300w amp i'll sell ya. let me know if interested
hawker820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 06:23 PM   #7
MercCougarXR7
AF Regular

Basically, you just described my system . Nothing fancy, bridged into one channel, and cheap .

I couldn't find anything online for KW Surplus, and since I don't have a kitchener phone book - I'm useless to you. I do know they are a cheap operation - really dumpy, but they have good prices - that's all I cared about .

Other than that - I really am kinda dumb when it comes to car audio. I had my brother install the system into the Cougar when I first got it, and then I basically duplicated the process onto the Marquis when it was time to switch.

Check out that CarAudioForums - some pretty bright people there, and some good articles.

Have fun .
MercCougarXR7 is offline   Reply With Quote