Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 06:40 PM   #1
dreemkill
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to dreemkill Send a message via AIM to dreemkill Send a message via Yahoo to dreemkill
question on wiring my box...

i have a JL PowerWedge box, w/ 3 JL 10w0s..powered by a 1000w sony amp, that will do 1000w @ 1ohm, 600w @ 2 ohm.. currently, they are 4ohm, getting 300w to them...i want to wire the speakers to 2ohms, giving them 600w for the box ...its a mono box/amp anyone know what i could do?
maybe a website or something.....
i'd appreciate it, hit me on AIM if you can, i should be on.. name is dreemkill. thanks!
later
dreemkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 08:48 PM   #2
xivera
AF Enthusiast

Your first mod = HELMS MANUAL!!!
xivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 01:41 AM   #3
dreemkill
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to dreemkill Send a message via AIM to dreemkill Send a message via Yahoo to dreemkill
thanks for the response...ive poked around JLAudio.com, but the problem with that is....my amp @ 1 ohm is 1000w.. i dont wanna run 1000w into 3 w0 speakers...too much wattage it seems...they are 125w RMS per speaker, so the total RMS would be 375.....my amp @ 2 ohms is 600w.. which it seems to me would be more appropriate (and safe)
or am i totally missing something?
you think 1000w to that setup (3x10w0) would be ok? (meaning, not blowing the speakers, or the ass-end of my car out)
Old 12-18-2001, 03:57 PM   #4
xivera
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by dreemkill
i dont wanna run 1000w into 3 w0 speakers...too much wattage it seems...they are 125w RMS per speaker, so the total RMS would be 375.....my amp @ 2 ohms is 600w.. which it seems to me would be more appropriate (and safe)
I'm trusting you on your math so... I think you just answered your own question...
To make sure, what are your sub's impedance?

Your first mod = HELMS MANUAL!!!
xivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 05:01 PM   #5
sparq
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to sparq
Quote:
Originally posted by xivera

I'm trusting you on your math so... I think you just answered your own question...
To make sure, what are your sub's impedance?
Yeah, you cant just "decide" how you want to run the amp ~ its not like you flip a switch on your amp that says 4 ohms, 2 ohms or 1 ohm ~ it all depends on the woofers. If they are all single voice coil, and you have 3 ~ I would HOPE that the person would have been smart enough to get the 12 ohm subwoofers, which would drop the amp load to 4 ohms, and you WONT be able to change it, less you want it to be like SUPER high which wont even get your woofers any power.

If you want more boom, look for some woofers that will allow you to get into your amps sweet spot... but we already talked about this

RIP AUNIE
sparq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 07:04 PM   #6
dreemkill
AF Enthusiast

yes, we sure have...and i understand it now... i know i cant just tell the amp what to put out, its controlled by the impedance of the subs....whcih is why i was wondering if it were possible to wire them to 2 ohms...but its not...so ive decided the better thing to do, is sell what i got, and buy your stuff
(which im working damn hard on doing...........)

Thanks,
Justin