Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
rapid3642
AF Newbie

Post Amp is drawing to much power and blowing fuse

Hey there I have a Plye 4000w amp. And when I used it before it worked great! So I put it away for a year because I had car issues. Now that I got a running car again I installed it into my new car, but what is happening is that it turns on but draws way to much power and blows all my fuses in line with the power cable. I run 60amp fuses which is the recommend limit. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? The power light comes on the amplifier but but won't produce any sound to the subwoofers, then in 5 seconds it blows a fuse. Thanks in advance for any time contributed.
rapid3642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Re: Amp is drawing to much power and blowing fuse

sounds like your ground/power wires are not tight.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
Tygra
AF Newbie

I think when it got blown the speakers would have been fried, try plug it to a main electric port and check whether it works or not.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
rapid3642
AF Newbie

I went back and checked 3 times to make sure the power and ground and remote had all good connections, I even hooked up my smaller 550w amp up to the same connections and it worked great! but when putting everything back to the other amp it breaks the 20A breaker within a minute (Keep in mind it ran off the 20A breaker before.), And no if the breaker would snap off I don't see how it would blow the speakers, ???, the amp wasn't in protection mode, it had the green light as if everything worked, but no music will play through the speakers and within a minute it blows the breaker. (Yes i mean breaker, not fuse cause I got tired of spending so much money on fuses so I just put in a breaker lol )

Thank you for your suggestions! If anyone has anymore ideas please let me know!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
PaulD
Audio Guy

I use magnetic breakers as well.

Wait, you have a 4000 watt amp on a 20A breaker ? Is this a home breaker or one designed for the car ? Keep in mind that the green "on" led is powered by the auto turn-on wire not the main power wire. Did you sand down the area where you grounded the amp ? Did you check the power wire connections at the battery ? Does this amp work in another car that does not have these issues ?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
rapid3642
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Amp is drawing to much power and blowing fuse

Hey PaulD! Thank you for your response! Yup this is a car breaker, not one used on homes, and oh ok I had no idea the led was powered by the remote wire, but at the same time if something was wrong with the amp I was hoping it would go into protection mode , Yup it has a good secure ground that is on bare metal, and keep in mind, like I said in an earlier post that I hooked up a little 550w amp with the exact same wires that im using for my 4000w amp, I took out the 4000w and put in the 550w amp (in the same car, using the same wiring) to test the connections. Which is a great test by the way! thank you all for suggesting that! and the sound system worked great! but then I put back in the 4000w amp and then it did the same thing , just kept on popping the breaker, and no music through the speakers. The 4000w amp sat in the box for over a year. I opened the amp up and I didn't see any corrosion, and my 550w amp sat in the shed for over 3 years but the 550w amp still worked lol, would it help anyone if I posted pictures of the inside of the amp? Is there a way I can get any more information to you guys? obviously what I'm providing isn't enough. I know trying to help people on forums is hard. But if I can fix that some how please let me know! Thank you all again for taking time to help!
Old 12-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
PaulD
Audio Guy

This ios one of those "tough nuts" that I fix in an hour or less in person but may be very difficult over the internet. What is the voltage reading at the power input of the amp when it first starts, then when it goes into protect.

Also, are these the same sub(s) you used on this amp when you had all hooked up in the previous car ?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
rapid3642
AF Newbie

I'll get the voltage reading to you as soon as possible, as for the "protect" mode, it never goes into it, it just stays in the "power" mode. It just pops the breaker, then obviously the amp has no power and shuts off. and yup the exact same sub(s) that were in my previous car. Before it had small speaker wire powering the amp, but of course that was on my first car and I didn't have any knowledge as far as electricity nor how everything works, but on this setup im running 4ga power wire, and 4ga ground wire which is much safer lol.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
PaulD
Audio Guy

if you can also provide me with the make/model of:

amp with problem, other amp that worked fine, sub(s) and how they are wired (series or parallel)
Old 02-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
usjp
AF Newbie

welcome to this forum site you can gain more knowledge in this site.
i don't know what do you want to say. and i don't know about your question plz take advise
from expert. for more knowledge visit this site.

Last edited by PaulD; 02-05-2013 at 07:15 AM.
usjp is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio