Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #31
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Re: Airtex Fuel Pumps - Buyer Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejaywalker View Post
You brought up a lot of discussion areas. It would have been an interesting discussion if you had brought them up one by one. However, I don't have all the information you asked me for because I'm not industrial or manufacturing expert. I'm a mechanic. Regardless, I thank you for letting me give my thoughts on the topic.
Let's start with the first one, Are you employed by Airtex?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #32
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

On August 12, 2010 my 10 year old baby (2000 GMC Jimmy SLE) underwent a surgical procedure to remove the malfunctioning foreign object from within its digestive system. I had the Airtex Fuel pump removed and replaced with an AC-Delco MU1733 19177220 fuel pump. The sending unit on the Airtex Fuel pump was already toast, as was the check valve that holds the pressure after the engine shuts off. The pump would still start the truck, but was taking longer and longer to crank and finally start.

I am happy to report that the patient has recovered nicely and is doing well.

You can’t believe what a weight has been lifted from my shoulders knowing that I avoided another inevitable breakdown due to the Airtex Fuel Pump, which was an absolute certainty, and only a matter of time.

The problem first started in October, 2007 when I ignorantly replaced my OEM Fuel Pump with a cheap aftermarket replacement to save a few dollars. Little did I know that it would cost me over twice the amount of money than if I would have simply stayed with OEM from the beginning. Even though I only paid for the first Airtex Pump, the labor costs to R&R three Airtex Fuel pumps more than made up the difference.

Three Airtex aftermarket fuel pumps in less than three years tells the tale. The first two did not last 6 months each, while the third almost made 22 months. The original AC-Delco OEM pump lasted 7 years and probably would have lasted a lot longer had I been vigilant in changing the Fuel Filter. I had to learn the hard way.

The world seems right now that we’re back to OEM. I now feel confident that I can once again depend on my truck instead of worrying about a looming failure in some forlorn location at time when I can’t afford to be without my truck.

Stay away from Airtex Fuel Pumps and change your Fuel Filter at least once a year, twice a year is even better.

I am writing this so you don’t make the same stupid mistakes that I made. That's what this Forum is all about.

Last edited by Rick Norwood; 08-18-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Rick Norwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #33
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

22 months out of an Airtex???? That's gotta to be a record, better call the factory, maybe they need a testimonial! Some people pay hard earned money for that crap, all in the name of saving a few bucks short term. Spend a little more and do the job the right way one time and be done. Glad you've installed some confidence, Rick.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #34
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

I think I will see if I can do a TV commercial for them. LOL. NOT!

The stupidest part about Aftermarket pumps saving a few Dollars is exactly that, A FEW Dollars. Go on line and see for yourself. The difference between OEM and Aftermarket in my case was less than $50 USD. I was originally quoted a much higher price in 2007 for an OEM Fuel Pump, but now that I did my Homework...........
Old 08-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #35
bluejaywalker
AF Newbie

Rick-

You must be a little hard of reading because I posted twice that I'm a mechanic. But look buddy, I've got more than 20 years of fixing cars under my belt. I grew up in the shop. I can remember when I was a little kid arguing the Chevy/Ford thing with other little boys in the neighborhood. Never once did anyone back down. Sadly, that's you and me, now. And you know what? I'm an old guy, and I don't care anymore. After some consideration, I've decided I don't have the time or patience to argue with you.

With all respect, good bye and good luck.
bluejaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #36
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejaywalker View Post
Rick-

You must be a little hard of reading because I posted twice that I'm a mechanic. But look buddy, I've got more than 20 years of fixing cars under my belt. I grew up in the shop. I can remember when I was a little kid arguing the Chevy/Ford thing with other little boys in the neighborhood. Never once did anyone back down. Sadly, that's you and me, now. And you know what? I'm an old guy, and I don't care anymore. After some consideration, I've decided I don't have the time or patience to argue with you.

With all respect, good bye and good luck.
No sir, I am not hard of reading. I did read your posts and saw the fact that you are a mechanic, both times. I have nothing but respect for you and anyone else that earns their living by twisting wrenches, as long as they do it honestly. I am not trying to insinuate anything regarding your integrity, but you posted an awful lot of what I call inside information regarding Airtex Fuel Pumps. I don’t know where or how you got that information; perhaps it came from the Airtex Salesman. Regardless of where it came from, I felt compelled to challenge it, as it was completely contrary to my own personal experience.

You and I may agree to disagree; However, I hold no grudge. If you want to use Airtex Fuel Pumps on your vehicles and those of your customers after all that you have read in this thread, that is certainly your prerogative. I sincerely hope that you have better luck with them than I did.

I am no spring chicken myself with no desire to argue either, however, I feel duty bound to help others. I would sincerely encourage you to do the same and chime in on this forum and share your 20 years of experience with us. There are many people that could benefit by your help.

With all due respect,

Rick

Last edited by Rick Norwood; 08-24-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #37
serpentracer
AF Newbie

I know a bunch of shops that use airtex stuff and swear they are decent pumps.
I hope so, I didn't have the energy and time to research it more when I replaced mine last week.
airtex is all everyone sells around me.
I didn't feel like searching all over town for something else.
the documents with the pump said the stock wire connector is the reason so many of them fail and you have to replace it with their supplied connector period. or you can't even plug it in it's completely different.
serpentracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #38
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentracer View Post
I know a bunch of shops that use airtex stuff and swear they are decent pumps.
I hope so, I didn't have the energy and time to research it more when I replaced mine last week.
airtex is all everyone sells around me.
I didn't feel like searching all over town for something else.
the documents with the pump said the stock wire connector is the reason so many of them fail and you have to replace it with their supplied connector period. or you can't even plug it in it's completely different.
Thanks for posting on your situation and the opinions of shops in your area.
We hope the Airtex pump works out for you.
But for 25 more you could have order a good Delphi fuel pump.
And have been done with it with out having to replace your airtex again and again.

What is your year and model and engine?
What failed on your old pump?
Was it a airtex pump or other brand that failed?
Did you run a pressure test before and after replacement?

I just got a 97 Olds bravado 4.3 in last week that had a airtex pump installed 3 years ago it is failing to pump pressure.
About the longest as I have saw one last.
Some fail before they get out door and some fail in a week or two and some 3 mo and a year.
But almost allmost all fail to soon.

And yes very few parts places beside dealer stock anything else.
They make more profit on airtex sad to say at customer expense.
And sad to say many repair shops install airtex pumps.
But can order the good Delphi for 25 dollars more.
Carquest is the only smart place .
They dropped airtex like a hot spud for to many come backs.
And other parts places will tell you airtex has a high fail rate if you pin them down.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:04 PM   #39
serpentracer
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-2500 View Post
Thanks for posting on your situation and the opinions of shops in your area.
We hope the Airtex pump works out for you.
But for 25 more you could have order a good Delphi fuel pump.
And have been done with it with out having to replace your airtex again and again.

What is your year and model and engine?
What failed on your old pump?
Was it a airtex pump or other brand that failed?
Did you run a pressure test before and after replacement?

I just got a 97 Olds bravado 4.3 in last week that had a airtex pump installed 3 years ago it is failing to pump pressure.
About the longest as I have saw one last.
Some fail before they get out door and some fail in a week or two and some 3 mo and a year.
But almost allmost all fail to soon.

And yes very few parts places beside dealer stock anything else.
They make more profit on airtex sad to say at customer expense.
And sad to say many repair shops install airtex pumps.
But can order the good Delphi for 25 dollars more.
Carquest is the only smart place .
They dropped airtex like a hot spud for to many come backs.
And other parts places will tell you airtex has a high fail rate if you pin them down.
I know the guys that own a shop and said they've never had a comeback from a airtex pump. they've been using them for at least 9 years he said.

anyway, my truck is a 2002 sonoma 4.3L. 110k miles. stock pump just simply stopped working on the highway. pressure before 0. after 63 key on engine off. 56 running. I also have a 97 sonoma with the 2.2 4cyl and it still has the stock pump (178K miles)
the paperwork that came with the pump says the pumps fail because of the stock gm connectors. airtex redesigned the pump connectors and include a new wire harness.

if it does fail I'm going with a walbro pump. chrysler puts those in their cars/vans/trucks. and everyone is telling me chrysler rarely has fuel pump problems.
plus I can get a walbro complete pump assembly for $160 on the net. I wish I seen that before I possibly wasted $300 for a airtex
Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #40
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Must be they don't install very many

The electrical connector "fix" has been around for years, most every pump manufacturer includes the new connector with their pump, including AC Delco. The problems with Airtex are numerous and common: Noisy, low maximum output, low volume output, leaky check valves, short life span, etc etc. About the only thing they had going for them was the price. Now you can get a genuine AC Delco pump repair kit for around $60. Airtex needs to get their poop in a group. You'll never get 110K from an airtex pump.... darn lucky to get 10K.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #41
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentracer View Post
I know the guys that own a shop and said they've never had a comeback from a airtex pump. they've been using them for at least 9 years he said.

anyway, my truck is a 2002 sonoma 4.3L. 110k miles. stock pump just simply stopped working on the highway. pressure before 0. after 63 key on engine off. 56 running. I also have a 97 sonoma with the 2.2 4cyl and it still has the stock pump (178K miles)
the paperwork that came with the pump says the pumps fail because of the stock gm connectors. airtex redesigned the pump connectors and include a new wire harness.

if it does fail I'm going with a walbro pump. chrysler puts those in their cars/vans/trucks. and everyone is telling me chrysler rarely has fuel pump problems.
plus I can get a walbro complete pump assembly for $160 on the net. I wish I seen that before I possibly wasted $300 for a airtex
Of course they swear by them. We’ve all heard the sales pitches from the parts stores, garages etc. They get that propaganda from Airtex and use it because they don’t want to loose the business. I actually had a Parts Counter man tell me that he sells tons of Airtex pumps and mine was the first one he ever had to replace. I have also had at least one garage owner tell me personally that he will ABSOLUTELY NOT install Airtex Fuel pumps because most of them won’t make it through the warranty, and then he’s on the hook for free labor to replace it.

If you read earlier posts in this thread, you will see that Airtex (reportedly) owns the lion’s share of the fuel pump market in the U.S. They want to flood the market with their cheap pumps. There are too many shops and parts stores that are willing to offer these GARBAGE replacement pumps rather than provide the OEM pumps thinking that they’re saving you money.

Ultimately, you have to gamble on whether you will get a GOOD cheap pump. You made that bet just like I did. I lost my bet, because the most I got out of 3 different Airtex pumps was 22 months. I found out the hard way that I got what I paid for. We’ll see what happens with you, I sincerely hope you have better luck.

If you don’t ask for or insist on AC-Delco Delphi Pumps, which just about every parts store and garage can order for you, they will sell you what they have on the shelf. I know that when my original OEM pump went out in 2007, there was a huge difference in price (almost twice the amount) but that is not the case anymore. The cost between the cheap aftermarket pumps and OEM pumps are not that much different. I checked www.rockauto.com today, 9/8/2010, and the AC-Delco Pump for my truck was $41 more than the Airtex pump (base price without shipping).

The early original fuel pump connector from the factory has 4 wires in a square plug with a wire in each quadrant, which was in fact the cause of many failures. The new connector, which also came on my first Airtex pump, has 4 wires in a flat plug with all 4 wires in a row. The stock wire harness is NOT the reason why the AIRTEX pumps fail. The Airtex pumps make you replace the connector.

Airtex pumps are a gamble, plain and simple. Remember, Talk is cheap; you will get what you pay for, and all I can do is repeat the title of this very thread, AIRTEX FUEL PUMPS - BUYER BEWARE.

Last edited by Rick Norwood; 09-08-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #42
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_master View Post
Must be they don't install very many

The electrical connector "fix" has been around for years, most every pump manufacturer includes the new connector with their pump, including AC Delco. The problems with Airtex are numerous and common: Noisy, low maximum output, low volume output, leaky check valves, short life span, etc etc. About the only thing they had going for them was the price. Now you can get a genuine AC Delco pump repair kit for around $60. Airtex needs to get their poop in a group. You'll never get 110K from an airtex pump.... darn lucky to get 10K.
And don't forget the Gas Gauge Sending Unit malfunction which renders your gas gauge on your dashboard totally useless, or the flex tube on the pump that isn't crimped tight and leaks internally.

I want to say it again, YOU WILL NEVER GET 110K MILES OUT OF AN AIRTEX FUEL PUMP.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #43
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Norwood View Post
And don't forget the Gas Gauge Sending Unit malfunction which renders your gas gauge on your dashboard totally useless, or the flex tube on the pump that isn't crimped tight and leaks internally.
Yup, good point! Been there, seen both problems, numerous times!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #44
serpentracer
AF Newbie

I don't know why you guys would use a AC Delco pump again. GM has to have the highest fuel pump failure rate among all the car companies.
reinstalling anything they came with is losing situation if you ask me.
all of their fluids should be changed out in the first year of service, especially the dexcool coolant that is proven to deteriorate stock intake gaskets.
the sooner you get rid of all the stock gm fluids the better. that includes the brake fluid.
the only ac delco products I will use is the spark plugs and battery.

like I said, if this pump fails in less than a few years or under 90k miles I'll agree with you guys. but I've seen plenty of internet people come up with the craziest stories and suggestions I rarely want to believe anyone.
for instance motorcycle guys swear up and down using a diesel engine oil in a motorcycle engine that reaches 15,500 rpm is ok.
and breaking in a engine by beating it from day one is the way you should do it to get the most life and power from it..a guy even made a website and proclaims himself as a professional race engine builder and said you should beat on a new engine on purpose. without any break in period. and all manufactures are wrong about how they suggest a break in period. so guess what, everyone now believes this guy over every single motorcycle company. lol

anyone with a keyboard thinks they are a mechanical engineer.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #45
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

That may be so, but aftermarket pumps, especially Airtex, rarely get half of the mileage that AC Delco pumps do. I'll gladly make a little less profit and do the job once, rather than do the job a second, (or third) time for free. I'd much rather have a customer unhappy about the price than to have him knowing that I use inferior parts. When an aftermarket company manufactures a pump that meets or exceeds all OEM specs, I'll consider installing it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info