Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 12:35 AM   #1
griffin-gt40
AF Regular

New Airbrush Help.

I'm in the market for a new airbrush. My budget caps out at about $160US or $200CDN. I'd appreciate any input on makes/models people are using around this price point. Of course if its one cheaper that's good too. One of the models I'm considering is http://www.germanairbrush.com/evolution2in1.html
but any others people think might be worth my looking at I'd be grateful.

Thanks

David
griffin-gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:19 AM   #2
wouter1981
AF Enthusiast

Re: New Airbrush Help.

I have this evolution 2in1 and it's a very good airbush pistol. You can't go wrong with this one. There are other brands that are equal or even better, but the 2in1 is a perfect starting point in you search, will last for years and years and is more than capable of almost any airbrush job. Always buy a full metal pistol. No plastic because solvents will eat the plastic.
Equally important, do you have a good aircompressor? If not, buy one with a tank and a moister and oil trap. A top airbrush pistol needs a good airsource.
And to a lesser amount important. Is it easy to get spare parts in your country for the 2in1? It's anoying if you need to wait weeks if a o-ring needs replacement;-)
wouter1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:39 AM   #3
chato de shamrock
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouter1981 View Post
I have this evolution 2in1 and it's a very good airbush pistol. You can't go wrong with this one. There are other brands that are equal or even better, but the 2in1 is a perfect starting point in you search, will last for years and years and is more than capable of almost any airbrush job. Always buy a full metal pistol. No plastic because solvents will eat the plastic.
Equally important, do you have a good aircompressor? If not, buy one with a tank and a moister and oil trap. A top airbrush pistol needs a good airsource.
And to a lesser amount important. Is it easy to get spare parts in your country for the 2in1? It's anoying if you need to wait weeks if a o-ring needs replacement;-)
You know, I never thought about how readily parts are available when I purchased my first airbrush last year. While cleaning it i tightened small parts too much and broke a piece. Then is when I began to notice how difficult it was to get replacement parts and I began to ask around if this is an issue with all airbrush manufacturers or just an issue you deal with the smaller, lesser known, companies but never really got clear answers.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:40 AM   #4
Niro750
AF Regular

I have a h&s infinity and in the UK the parts are easy to source, air-craft dot net I used and the service was above and beyond. Was on the phone for a good while with great advice. Not normally one for plugging a site but in this case it's justified.
Niro750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:26 AM   #5
wouter1981
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chato de shamrock View Post
You know, I never thought about how readily parts are available when I purchased my first airbrush last year. While cleaning it i tightened small parts too much and broke a piece. Then is when I began to notice how difficult it was to get replacement parts and I began to ask around if this is an issue with all airbrush manufacturers or just an issue you deal with the smaller, lesser known, companies but never really got clear answers.
With the H&S evolution 2in1 i have absolutely no problems getting parts in Belgium. But I don't know how H&S is in the US. Altough I would recomend my airbrush pistol to anybody, if you can't find parts easily or you have to ship them everytime, choose another brand. Badger has some great ones, Paasche and Iwata are supossed to be very good but I have no experience with them.
wouter1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
Kaj45rpm
AF Regular

Iwata revolution from Hobby search. Jp. Very good all round airbrush, Iwata quality and a great price from these excellent guys.
Kaj45rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
Tompidom
AF Enthusiast

Ive had mine for 5 years now. Still loving it!

My online webshop
www.thescalemodeler.com
Tompidom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #8
griffin-gt40
AF Regular

Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. After reading the comments and doing abit more research I've decided to get the Evo 2n1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouter1981 View Post
With the H&S evolution 2in1 i have absolutely no problems getting parts in Belgium. But I don't know how H&S is in the US. Altough I would recomend my airbrush pistol to anybody, if you can't find parts easily or you have to ship them everytime, choose another brand. Badger has some great ones, Paasche and Iwata are supossed to be very good but I have no experience with them.
As far as parts go, they online store I'm ordering from the guy has a fair number of parts and accessories listed and most are instock. I'm going to order a seal kit just to have on hand incase any replacements are needed instead of having to wait and order one in.

Thanks again for the comments and help.

David
griffin-gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:01 PM   #9
JTRACING
J.E.T.

I see you live in Ontario also!, go to Micheals with a 50% off coupon and buy a badger patriot 105. It's the only brush I use now!, Parts are cheap and easily available locally and 50% for nozzle and needle replacements!

If you go with those H&S brushes a new tip cost as much as a whole airbrush! I can speak from experience as I own both brands and never use the German one any longer.

Quality and performance wise you will not notice any difference from expensive German brand to the USA made brand just saying!
JTRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:56 AM   #10
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric

In this price range, Iwata is king. Get them from ebay since canadian price are horrible.
I have an HP-CP for 7 years and HP-M2 for a year or so.
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
davesans
AF Enthusiast

Check these videos out very helpful
My question would be what are you expecting out of the airbrush fine detail or to cover a large area?
I asked the same question you did a few years back I got some great answers but no one asked me what I was expecting it to do. I got a great detail brush but for painting larger scale car bodies not so much. Hope this helps
Old 09-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #12
Niro750
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesans View Post
Check these videos out very helpful
My question would be what are you expecting out of the airbrush fine detail or to cover a large area?
I asked the same question you did a few years back I got some great answers but no one asked me what I was expecting it to do. I got a great detail brush but for painting larger scale car bodies not so much. Hope this helps
Agreed. For car bodies you really need a mini spray gun like the rg3. Yes you can work with bigger brushes but the fan pattern coverage and higher flow of paint on a greater area gives a better finish quicker. I have a .6 needle in my h&s and it does a reasonable area. My rg3 blows that away for coverage
Old 09-15-2015, 04:47 PM   #13
kopek
AF Regular

I'm new to this airgun business, do you really need a .6 needle and nozzle or can you just pull the needle back further?
kopek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #14
Niro750
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
I'm new to this airgun business, do you really need a .6 needle and nozzle or can you just pull the needle back further?
Apparently you get some brushes that can work like that. Regular ones don't, you have a small to a large nozzle that comes with a specific needle, you will get a certain set of characteristics for each needle size, smaller will have lower flow rates and smaller spray patterns and bigger ones can allow more paint through at higher flow rates using more air in the process. You won't get as fine a spray pattern for minute details with a 0.6 needle. My 0.2 does minuscule lines that my 0.6 cannot do.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:56 PM   #15
kopek
AF Regular

Niro750, thanks for your answer, I'm using a cheap 20 quid brush, spares thankfully available as i,ve overtightened and broken 2 nozzles so far.

3mm seems to cover bodies ok but maybe slower. I'm afraid to go too close and am getting orange peel, do I just need to toughen up and get in close?
kopek is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling