Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Rumors & Concepts
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Rumors & Concepts Post pictures and discuss the upcoming cars, rumors and spy photos.
View Poll Results: Under what circumstances would you buy an electric car?
I already have one or am actively shopping 0 0%
My next car(s) will probably all be electric 2 40.00%
I'm still learning about it 1 20.00%
I'm suspicious of any car that doesn't burn fuel 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
PazMartin
AF Newbie

When will electric technology totally take over?

A friend makes a good point when he says:

" In the long run, making the decision to go electric is far cheaper. Not only is there the savings on gas that others have mentioned, but every day over this long-term, electric is replacing the older technology. One day you won't be able to buy a gas-powered car just like you can't buy a refrigerator with Freon anymore. Until then, it's just going to get more and more expensive."

Going green etc. is getting a lot of press. Is electric technology really all that much better?

When or under what circumstances would you buy an electric car instead of gas?
PazMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
Jack Zim
AF Newbie

Re: When will electric technology totally take over?

Hopefully, asap.
Jack Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Psman32@af
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Psman32@af Send a message via Yahoo to Psman32@af

I might get one as a second car, but until either fast recharges become available, or the range gets extended, I will still need a gas powered vehicle for extended trips. Also, until the US as a whole changes how it creates energy, all we are doing is moving to a system that isn't exactly effiecent either between burning coal, transmitting it to the house and then charging the batteries and then using the energy stored in batteries to drive a car. And if everyone switches to electric cars, there would have to be billions spent in upgrading the infrastruture to transfer the power to the homes, not to mention increased power generation and probably increased prices for electricity. So in short, i feel its a good idea for a second car for say driving around town.

Edit: I don't mean to come across as we will never have electric vehicles, I just see that it will be awhile if ever before the majority of vehicles on the road are electric.

Last edited by Psman32@af; 10-30-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Psman32@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
FunnyGirl5
AF Newbie

I have a 2007 Ford F150 V6 that gets on average 16-18 city miles. I'm okay with this. Maybe in the future, but not now. I love my truck too much.
FunnyGirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
Joe Wilson
AF Regular

The American automakers have been dragging their feet for a long time, but reluctantly they are now on board. Even so, they still want to stick a four cylinder engine on the Volt to charge batteries. That will keep you buying parts for a few more years, and thus more profits for them. Does it really take a four cylinder engine to charge that battery pack? If they had concentrated on battery technology instead of seeing how big a truck they could make, we would already have electrics on the road. You know Ford has already built several electric Ranger trucks (I saw one on ebay) built entirely by Ford, so we know it can be done. GM knows the days of the gasser are coming to an end but still they want to get as many Hummers out the door as they can, even if they won't sell.
Joe Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Rumors & Concepts